New $600'ish receiver, Denon AVR-2312 or Pioneer Elite VSX-60? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Denon AVR-2312CI or Pioneer Elite VSX-60?
Denon AVR-2312CI 13 86.67%
Pioneer Elite VSX-60 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I currently have an old JVC receiver that's not even worth listing the name/specs of. Suffice it to say I don't have any HDMI on the beast. It's served me well for a while, but I've run out of connection options and functionality. Sound quality is also less than desired. I'm looking into around a $600 price point for a new receiver.

Key features I would like are great sound quality, multiple HDMI inputs, decent ease-of-use with potential for expansion with a universal remote, and best future proofing. AirPlay is also an option, as we not have an iPad. I'm comparing the Denon AVR-2312 and Pioneer Elite VSX-60. I've never owned a Denon product, though I've also thought them to be a more-premium offering. In general, I've been really pleased with the Pioneer products I own, particularly the stunning Kuro plasma I bought, as well as a great 10" compact flat subwoofer in one of my vehicles.

In this case, I'm sure both are very capable receivers, but I'd like to know from actual owners what they like best (and worst) about those models. For example, I've seen that the Denon 3312 [up one model from the 2312] with dual-HDMI outputs has some audio compatibility/adjustability issues (can't delineate different audio sources for each output) which frustrates users.

Specs of my display, peripherals I'd be hooking up:

- Pioneer Plasma PDP-5080HD
- XBox 360 w/HD-DVD attachment
- Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S300 (will likely upgrade soon, though I will find no use for 3D functionality in newer options, I'm not changing my panel)
- Nintendo Wii
- Nintendo NES
- Apple TV
- (would like to add a standalone CD-player)
- Speakers, all Klipsch, currently in 5.0 setup: 2x KG5.5 for mains, 2 KG2.5 for rear surrounds, 1x KG2.5 for center (I can add 2 more KG2.5 to make 7 channels, though I still need a sub...)

Additionally, I'd like to know if I've overlooked other decent options like an Onkyo or a Marantz. Feature-wise, I narrowed down these two listed based on my preferences. Price point is important for me, and the 2312 is on-sale for $599, with the Pioneer in similar range. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 368
All but the least expensive of the Denon receivers have Audyssey and can equalize your future subwoofer. Pioneer receivers have MCACC and cannot.

Selden
post #3 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

All but the least expensive of the Denon receivers have Audyssey and can equalize your future subwoofer. Pioneer receivers have MCACC and cannot.

Wow, interesting. So, one would need to adjust subwoofer output to the desired level (in the Pioneer), rather than using the auto-setup microphone for all speakers (such as in the Denon)? Thanks for that info!
post #4 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
He means the Pioneer will not "EQ" the sub ... different from simply setting the proper volume level.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

He means the Pioneer will not "EQ" the sub ... different from simply setting the proper volume level.

Got it, I think I tried to say the same thing, just didn't come out right ;-)
post #6 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
585-645-1006

Just wanted to confirm as some folks think that "EQ"ing simply means setting the proper distance and volume of the sub/speaker as well as thinking they can do the same job as the Auto EQ simply using a SPL meter.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #7 of 27 Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Just wanted to confirm as some folks mistakenly think that "EQ"ing simply means setting the proper distance and volume of the sub/speaker as well as thinking they can do the same job as the Auto EQ simply using a SPL meter.

I inserted a "mistakenly" just to make it as clear as possible. smile.gif

Many subwoofers and many rooms can seriously distort the amplitudes of different low frequency sounds. They may sound great for explosions, but not so good terrible for music. Equalizing them (making them more accurate) can help a lot, as can placing a subwoofer in the correct position in the room.

Selden
post #8 of 27 Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Liked: 13
sus'ed as I'm in the same boat now and dont want to start another thread.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lee View Post

sus'ed as I'm in the same boat now and dont want to start another thread.

Excellent, join the party! The subwoofer adjustment discussion was interesting, and something I clearly had not gleaned from reading the specs.

Are there other similar-caliber receivers that I'm overlooking as viable options, perhaps a Marantz option? Or are those better-suited for audio applications? Specifically, I noticed that the Marantz SR6006 has only 3 audio-video inputs, but 8 audio-only inputs. Whereas the Denon 2312 has 8 audio-video inputs and only 2 audio-only. Is that therefore a correct assumption, in general?
post #10 of 27 Old 06-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Keeping away from the original thread (LOL), nice collection of "vintage" Klipsch speakers. I have had a pair of KG 3.5's for 15 years hooked up to several Sony ES (1-old prologic GA7ES, 1- DA3300ES, 1- TAE/N9000ES separates), and a Yamaha RXV-2600. With all of them I found the towers were very "bright" leading up to "harsh" with some material. Pioneer IMO is known for a bright sound so matching up with them might be a little much. I love the Denon/Marantz "twins" (I know, much debate here, but the reality is they ARE). I am actually thinking about doing either an AV7500, or SR7500 myself.

I just got 2 KG2.5's (thanks CL) and a KG2.2v. I actually (initially) preferred the KG2.5's as the mains as they are somewhat more "laid back" than the 3.5's ( I DO have a Klipsch Sub10 so no issue in the LFE dept.). My goal was to have a "matching" 3 across soundstage, the 2.5/2.2v matches up perfectly.

Of course, my current setup does not use any "calibration" (in fact, it is ALL analog for bluray, DVD audio, and SACD).
post #11 of 27 Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 View Post

Are there other similar-caliber receivers that I'm overlooking as viable options, perhaps a Marantz option? Or are those better-suited for audio applications? Specifically, I noticed that the Marantz SR6006 has only 3 audio-video inputs, but 8 audio-only inputs. Whereas the Denon 2312 has 8 audio-video inputs and only 2 audio-only. Is that therefore a correct assumption, in general?

To first approximation, the digital audio electronics in Marantz and Denon equipment is the same: many of their current products use the same circuit boards. Their advertising does mention differences in the design of their analog circuitry, but it can be (and has been) argued that so long as their distortion levels are well below human auditory levels, they'll sound the same.

That said, the two product lines do tend to be marketed to different audiences, so the number and types of input and output connections differ, as do some of their menu options. Marantz includes separates (preamp/processor and amps) in their product line, while Denon currently does not. And their enclosures look different!

Selden
post #12 of 27 Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbar1 View Post

...I love the Denon/Marantz "twins" (I know, much debate here, but the reality is they ARE)...

If I read correctly somewhere... they have the same parent company, no?
post #13 of 27 Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbar1 View Post

...I love the Denon/Marantz "twins" (I know, much debate here, but the reality is they ARE)...

If I read correctly somewhere... they have the same parent company, no?

Yes.

The same parent company owns Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Boston Acoustics, Snell Acoustics, and several other home entertainment companies. Up until last month, the company name was "D&M Holdings". A name change to "D+M Group" was announced a few weeks ago. See http://www.cepro.com/article/dm_holdings_rebrands_as_dm_group/

Selden
post #14 of 27 Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Yes, D&M Holdings is the parent company of both.

I just got a Marantz SR6006, and am in love with it. I wanted Marantz since I was a tyke, so to finally own one is a source of some pride. The current prices on the 6006 and the 5006 make them very attractive, as the new models were just announced, although they will not ship until July or so.

The 6006 has 7 HDMI inputs and 2 outs, as well as a legacy phono input, if you still have some vinyl, or if you are part of the resurgance. The newer models don't add much, other than 4k pass-through. IMO, that is currently unnecessary, as we are a few years from mass adoption of 4k. ASFAIK, there isn't even currently a consumer-level 4k source available, just displays.

The 6006 will stretch your budget, however. Currently somewhere around $800, although deals can be found!

The only thing the 6006 lacks for me is the highest level of Audyssey, as it has MultiEQ XT, not XT32. Currently no Marantz offers XT32, although it can be found on some higher-end Denons.

Here is a link to the 6006: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR6006

Mike
post #15 of 27 Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpike View Post

Yes, D&M Holdings is the parent company of both.
I just got a Marantz SR6006, and am in love with it. I wanted Marantz since I was a tyke, so to finally own one is a source of some pride. The current prices on the 6006 and the 5006 make them very attractive, as the new models were just announced, although they will not ship until July or so.
The 6006 has 7 HDMI inputs and 2 outs, as well as a legacy phono input, if you still have some vinyl, or if you are part of the resurgance. The newer models don't add much, other than 4k pass-through. IMO, that is currently unnecessary, as we are a few years from mass adoption of 4k. ASFAIK, there isn't even currently a consumer-level 4k source available, just displays.
The 6006 will stretch your budget, however. Currently somewhere around $800, although deals can be found!
The only thing the 6006 lacks for me is the highest level of Audyssey, as it has MultiEQ XT, not XT32. Currently no Marantz offers XT32, although it can be found on some higher-end Denons.
Here is a link to the 6006: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR6006
Mike

Thanks for the clarification. I was reading the specs off of the Crutchfield website and it seems that they reversed the number of audio-video inputs/outputs with audio only... Oh well, guess the Marantz website is "straight from the horse's mouth!" I had not considered the Marantz as much up until now, but it seems that may provide the best options for my desired setup. Additionally, once I have a house with multi-room wiring options, it will be great to expand into multiple zones. Well, when I can convince my wife, looks like the SR6006 is the choice for me!
post #16 of 27 Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Go straight to the Denon 3312. I just picked one up BNIB for $660 shipped.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lee View Post

Go straight to the Denon 3312. I just picked one up BNIB for $660 shipped.

Yes, I saw similar deals as well. So, you don't have an issues/complaints with it? I had read reviews with users reporting firmware issues, HDMI issues, as well as the inability to broadcast digital audio to other zones (analog only). Additionally, folks weren't really happy with the remote.

I also like the 'look' of the Marantz a bit better than the Denon models... Though the price is nearly $200 more, even with discounts (I've been looking on Crutchfield.com).
post #18 of 27 Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Yes, I saw similar deals as well. So, you don't have an issues/complaints with it? I had read reviews with users reporting firmware issues, HDMI issues, as well as the inability to broadcast digital audio to other zones (analog only). Additionally, folks weren't really happy with the remote.
I also like the 'look' of the Marantz a bit better than the Denon models... Though the price is nearly $200 more, even with discounts (I've been looking on Crutchfield.com).

I just got a 3313 and am happy with it, but I haven't tried all of those things you mentioned above. I really doubt that the 3312 is going to suffer all sorts of issues while the 2312 is issue-free, as they are very similar receivers.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM

I am also trying to decide between the 2312 and the vsx-60.

I am wanting a receiver that will run 5.1 HT audio in the Den (Zone 1) and 4 pairs of speakers from 4 other rooms (Zone 2). I want to have the option to play any combination of the other 4 rooms, for example - just room 1 with rooms 2-4 off, rooms 1 & 3 with rooms 2 & 4 off, or all rooms on. I do not need multi-source for the 4 rooms as they will all be playing the same source. I would also like to control the volume in zone 2 with the receiver & iphone app.

From the little research that I have done, it looks like I can accomplish this with both the 2312 or the vsx-60 and an external amp/speaker selector combination connected to zone 2. Is this correct? Other than the fact that the vsx-60 cannot EQ the sub as mentioned above, are there any other major differences b/w the two receivers. I can get the vsx-60 for about $115 less than the 2312.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Any more thoughts on the 2312 vs. the vsx-60? I'd really like to make a move on one of these AVRs soon. Thanks.
post #21 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Nope. No problems what so ever. Updated fine, HDMI is fine and it works awesome. I don't use Zone 2 or 3 so that doesn't bother me. It does everything I need it to and then some. Its not as hard as some make it out to be to understand it and work it. The GUI is very well laid out and has descriptions.
post #22 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

- Speakers, all Klipsch, currently in 5.0 setup: 2x KG5.5 for mains, 2 KG2.5 for rear surrounds, 1x KG2.5 for center (I can add 2 more KG2.5 to make 7 channels, though I still need a sub...)
Additionally, I'd like to know if I've overlooked other decent options like an Onkyo or a Marantz. Feature-wise, I narrowed down these two listed based on my preferences. Price point is important for me, and the 2312 is on-sale for $599, with the Pioneer in similar range. Thanks in advance!

FWIW, I'm running a Klipsch, 5.2 speaker system and just dropped the hammer on a delivered Marantz SR5007 from Vann's for $750.

Epic CF-3's (similar to the KG 5.5) for the mains,KV-4 for the center, KSP-S6 for surrounds and a pair of 12" SW12 II subs. Two equal a 15" sub and the bass is smoother; less boomy.

The Denon equivalent is the 2313Cl. List is $899 but I'd guess a delivered phone price of ~$800.

A bit more than your price point of $600 by a hundred and fifty bucks or so but now you're full featured and in my opinion, future proof for three or four plus years. In the case of the Marantz SR5007, if this matters, you have a full set of pre-outs where as with the Denon, I didn't see a full set of pre-outs but you have a second HDMI out.

The Denon AVR1713 can be had delivered for $400 but it's a 5.1 unit. I consider the AVR1713 to be the sweetest, budget minded unit I looked at in the Denon/Marantz lineup. The Denon AVR2113Cl is 7.1 and at a list of $650, one should be able to get the unit delivered from Vann's for $600 or less, which will meet your stated price point.

Hope the above helps give you ideas.
post #23 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Just found a good deal on a Denon 3312 at basically the same price as the 2312. So now I am trying to pick from the 3312 or the Pioneer VSX-60. How do these compare? Would they both accommodate my setup of 4 pairs of speakers in different rooms running in zone 2? Do both have variable volume in zone 2 allowing for iphone app control?

Also, the 3312 is more powerful and has 3 zones. Would this allow me to run the speakers in the other rooms without an external amp, or does it still not have enough power on its own?
post #24 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Crutchfield has some great deals going: $600 for the Denon 2312; $800 for either the Denon 3312 or the Marantz SR6006. I think all the dealers are clearing out last year's models.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 PM

i was recently choosing between a vsx-53 and denon 3312ci in my set up

i ran the mcacc twice and found it to be very picky towards where the mic was placed. it took me a long time to get the sound settings to somewhere acceptable and even then i couldnt make my speakers 'pop'. With the denon i ran audyssey without any problems and did my speakers ever 'pop'. the pioneer has way more features but the sound quality of the denon trumps it, so the decision was easy for me.
post #26 of 27 Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Crutchfield has some great deals going: $600 for the Denon 2312; $800 for either the Denon 3312 or the Marantz SR6006. I think all the dealers are clearing out last year's models.

Looks like the SR6006 is going out of stock some places (like Crutchfield) and Marantz has now released the SR6007, which appears to have pretty much all the same features as last year, but costs $400 more!
post #27 of 27 Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
585-645-1006

Yup ... quite common as the previous year's models are cleared out and the new models are introduced ... with little in the way of upgrades since HDMI 1.4 was introduced two years ago.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page