Onkyo TX-NR616, Zone 2 functionality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at purchasing the Onkyo TX-NR616. In one review it said that this receiver was unable to play audio from the digital inputs.. Does anyone know if this is the case? This would not work for me as I need to be able to play Music from My apple TV using the optical digital input. In addition I will need to play audio from a variety of different sources with HDMI inputs to Zone 2 for my projector room. If this receiver is not capable can anyone suggest a receiver that has 2 HDMI outputs and powered zone 2 speakers?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 01:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Yes, that is correct ... in fact it's correct for virtually every AVR on the market today as well (ie. analog only to Zone 2). You would need to connect an optical --> analog converter to pass audio to Zone 2. The Denon 3311CI or 3312CI are the lowest level models that will also pass PCM 2.0 over optical/digital coax to Zone 2.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. Strangely I have an older Pioneer AVR the VSX-D811S and I have had no problem playing audio through Zone2 with it. What its missing is HDMI functionality and I could really use the additional HDMI out for my projector. I am currently using a rocket fish Rocketfish - 2-Way HDMI Splitter Rf-g1182 and it requires me to disconnect 1 output to use the other. I will check out the Denon AVR's that you suggested.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM

I read on http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1153662 that the 809 can play any "net" source on zone 2. i.e. spotify, LAN, app sourced music. Would this be true of the 616? If anyone has one and could confirm I would be forever grateful.

Best,
M
post #5 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
585-645-1006

Yes ... multi-zone networking AVRs can pass the "on board" sources (internet radio, Spotify, etc.) to Zone 2, it's only the "external" source devices that must pass analog audio for Zone 2.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal925 View Post

Thank you for the info. Strangely I have an older Pioneer AVR the VSX-D811S and I have had no problem playing audio through Zone2 with it. What its missing is HDMI functionality and I could really use the additional HDMI out for my projector. I am currently using a rocket fish Rocketfish - 2-Way HDMI Splitter Rf-g1182 and it requires me to disconnect 1 output to use the other. I will check out the Denon AVR's that you suggested.

The newer 2 HDMI monitor out AVRs (Onyko included), although only capable of passing the same source, can pass to either one separately or to both at the same time. The new Denon 3313CI is able to pass a separate HDMI source to Zone 2 via the new Zone 2 HDMI monitor out jack, although for powered zone 2 via the AVR, you'd still have to connect an analog cable from the source as it's designed for the display or 2nd AVR to do the audio processing.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Is HDMI 1.4 able to carry HD quality sound such as DTS or THX to the Onkyo TX-NR616 or is another digital input cable required? Is there an easy way to find out which receivers are capable of this?

Thanks
post #8 of 18 Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
585-645-1006

A cable is a cable ... it's the HDMI cert of the AVR that matters. Processing of HD audio can be done on HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 AVRs (although actual processing determined by the mfr on the lower level models). AFAIK, all current Onkyo models (to include the 616) can process HD audio.

post #9 of 18 Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM

Any comments on the 616? I'm looking to play Spotify in my house as much as possible and also want to upgrade my receiver. So play Spotify in three zones is possible. Would it be possible to play for instance a BD in the main zone and Spotify in zone 2 and3? I've been looking for that information but can't find the answer.

And also... THX is not a sound format.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

I'm considering the Onkyo TX-NR616 and am unclear about the functionality of the powered zone 2. I've read that the zone 2 cannot use digital sources, but is that the case if you intend to have zone 1 and zone 2 both use the same source?

I'm looking to replace a 10+ year old Yamaha 5.1 AV receiver that has A/B speaker connections. I use the "B" speaker connections for the outside deck speakers and do not want to buy a dedicated receiver just for the deck. Will I be able to output digital sources to zone 2 so long as the same source is also on zone 1?

Thanks!
post #11 of 18 Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Will I be able to output digital sources to zone 2 so long as the same source is also on zone 1?
Nope.

If you're using a digital source such a cable/sat box, dvd/blu ray, ps3 or cd changer connected via optical, digital coax or HDMI in zone 1 you need to connect the same device using analog cables to your receiver for zone 2.

the only way to get around that is to buy a receiver with a Front B set of terminals. Zone 2 was created so that you could have independent sources in 2 zones. Speaker B is for playing the same source is both zones.

Many Marantz receivers have Front B outputs as well as terminals that can be used as Zone 2. The Onkyo NR616 does not.

Afro GT
post #12 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you set it to bi/amp the front speakers, that should accept zone 2 from a digital source. I have hdmi cable box playing into my speakers but setup the zone 2 to have bi/amp instead. (aside from the left channel not working) this is ideal for me. I am returning the receiver for another one. hopefully this wont be a lemon.

DOes the Denon 1913 have a second zone?
post #13 of 18 Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM

I'd like to play mp3's over zone 2 while watching tv in the primary zone (hdmi components mostly and a wii). Is it possible to connect a designated IPod (itunes library) to zone 2?

Awaiting delivery of the TX-NR616 receiver and trying to plan best way to play mp3 on zone 2 (speakers elsewhere in house). The receiver will be cat5 connected to my router/network. Had a pc netbook with itunes mp3 library connected to prior receiver, and remotely controlled the iTunes playlists. Don't want that again. The netbook produced too much heat, wasted energy and went offline whenever Msoft pushed an update.

I intend to use an htpc or Mac mini in the primary zone, and the receiver will also be attached to tv, wii, blue ray and cable box. The receiver will be controlled by both its remote and iOs apps. Not yet sure how to designate each input device, but I'll figure it out. For now, trying to figure out zone 2.

1) Do I need a designated mp3 host device for zone 2, or can I wirelessly stream music to it from any linked device?
2) If I do go with a designated device for zone 2, can it be an iPod touch plugged into the front port (no cradle, just using the included cable referenced on the user manual)?
3) If a designated iPod touch outputting to zone 2, what is recommended source designation (if I have a choice)?
4) If not a designated device because I can wirelessly stream to zone 2, do I need to designate an input source, or does that mean I still have an extra for another device?

I read that zone 2 has to be component input, not digital. I have a simple cable that starts from the earphone jack on the iPod, and ends in two component plugs (L/R). I hope to control the iPod's volume and music list, so I don't need remote control of zone 2 per se.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM

Hi,

I need help please!

I have a TX-NR616 and my zone 2 is no longer working. I have 5.1 set up in my living room and my zone 2 is for my kitchen. It used to work but now it doesn't...

Under speaker set up I have Zone 2 powered on and I have tried a factory restore of the receiver but no luck.I am trying to play analogue sources.

Thanks
post #15 of 18 Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 11
My Integra DTR-40.4 Zone 2 just died too. Worked fine last weekend; now nothing. Using an alternate amp, the speakers work fine. Using alternate speakers replacing the Zone 2 outs, no sound. I have poured through every possible reason for this to not work, knowing that nothing has been changed AT ALL since it last worked, but nothing works. No signal is coming out of the Zone 2 outs. I don't have a clue what is wrong, but I do know this: I have had two 4.1's replaced, and now I'm on a 40.4, and if this one has to be replaced, I'm done with Integra. Any ideas?

Oppo BDP-83 2nd EAP
post #16 of 18 Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermagic View Post

Hi,

I need help please!

I have a TX-NR616 and my zone 2 is no longer working. I have 5.1 set up in my living room and my zone 2 is for my kitchen. It used to work but now it doesn't...

Under speaker set up I have Zone 2 powered on and I have tried a factory restore of the receiver but no luck.I am trying to play analogue sources.

Thanks

You have Zone 2 powered, thats your problem right their, you can have zone 2 powered or not powered, if it is powered you will need to use the component connections to link to
a powered amp in zone 2. I think you just want to turn on zone 2 unpowered using the button on the front of the amp and speaker wire connections to zone 2.

My answer may be a little crude as my 616 doesnt arrive until later today, however I have been doing a lot of research into it as I want to have a zone 2 in the kitchen for iTunes match
as noted above I will use my Digital to analogue converter box to take optical out of Apple TV into DAC then phono lead to amp and I should be able to control my whole itunes collection in both
zones.

I also have a NAS network attached storage with music on that would be another way to access music in zone 2 with out a DAC as it will work in all zones.

Hope this helps. :-)
post #17 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 AM

Hi I know your post was a while ago however im trying to resolve an issue with my zone 2.

I have a sound delay when Im connected with my Onkyo tx-nr616 to a denon pima-720AE

The delay is on the Onkyo

I have connected the Onkyo via a QED SS22 2 way speaker switch

The denon is really powerful

Im trying to get ready for a party when I will want to play music through all speakers. x7 in my main 7:1 surround sound room and x4 speakers in another part of the kitchen

The slight delay drives me crazy!

Can anyone help?

post #18 of 18 Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Are you using whole house mode, as when I just played it in both rooms there was a delay but if I pushed zone 1 and two buttons on the left in black below the display (at the same time) until the display read whole house mode, it was all synchronised at the same time!

Hope this helps, it's a fantastic amp.

Gibbyice :-)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com