Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Tried Bubble. Exact same behavior. Able to select Server (HTPC) and Renderer (515). Browse files, try to play a file and Onkyo switches to Network mode, then DLNA mode, then just shows the last song played when used 515 as client. Nothing else happens. Eventually the Bubble App says "Transport Locked (error 705)". If I force Bubble to play another song, just get "Transport Locked (error 705)" again.

EDIT-
Maybe it's my router/switches
http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=1592&p=4718

or maybe it's XP WMP11, everything I am reading about playback from server to renderer device wants Win7 WMP12 running.

How about eliminating the server from the process ? Copy a few files onto the Android itself and then see if you can render them on the 515.

I'd love to test this out on a 515 myself. What are the odds that a stereo shop would a) have a 515 set up b) have the latest firmware installed c) have it connected to a network and d) allow me to connect my tablet to it ? Pretty slim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

How about eliminating the server from the process ? Copy a few files onto the Android itself and then see if you can render them on the 515...
That works. Using Bubble, playing songs already stored on phone. 515 automatically switches to NET mode then to DLNA then starts playing the song then the song info comes on the Tv (and front panel of the unit).
post #183 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:

That works. Using Bubble, playing songs already stored on phone. 515 automatically switches to NET mode then to DLNA then starts playing the song then the song info comes on the Tv (and front panel of the unit).

Glad to hear this ! Thanks for testing it and reporting back. Greatly appreciated.

FWIW, Bubble streams from my server to my XBMC HTPC with no issues. My server is miniDLNA running on Fedora 19 Linux, IIRC. Its been a while since I set it up.

If you are bored, I'd love to know what file formats the Onkyo will play as a renderer. MP3, FLAC, Wav, ?

I have another question for 515 owners... how good is the mobile device remote application at controlling the receiver ?
post #184 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to hear this ! Thanks for testing it and reporting back. Greatly appreciated.

FWIW, Bubble streams from my server to my XBMC HTPC with no issues. My server is miniDLNA running on Fedora 19 Linux, IIRC. Its been a while since I set it up.

If you are bored, I'd love to know what file formats the Onkyo will play as a renderer. MP3, FLAC, Wav, ?

I have another question for 515 owners... how good is the mobile device remote application at controlling the receiver ?

No problem. I love tinkering with new toys.

The remote app works fine from Android phone. Controls power, volume, mute, input, listening mode, levels for bass, treble, center, sub, even quick menu & home menu. BUT the menu navigation seems to be broken- Up/Down/Left/Right buttons don't work so you are stuck at the first level of menu screen.
post #185 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:

No problem. I love tinkering with new toys.

The remote app works fine from Android phone. Controls power, volume, mute, input, listening mode, levels for bass, treble, center, sub, even quick menu & home menu. BUT the menu navigation seems to be broken- Up/Down/Left/Right buttons don't work so you are stuck at the first level of menu screen.

Screen on the Android or screen on the display device ?

How would it work to have the 515 in another room, not connected to a display and control it from a mobile device via the app ?
post #186 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Has anyone tried to stream a video file to the 515 ? I'd love to stream video to it and have it play on the connected display. Any chance this works ?

Onkyo, are you listening ?
post #187 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Has anyone tried to stream a video file to the 515 ? I'd love to stream video to it and have it play on the connected display. Any chance this works ?

Onkyo, are you listening ?

DLNA works as a Client and Renderer only for music files. The files supported are described on page 93 of my TX-NR515 manual.

post #188 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Screen on the Android or screen on the display device ?

How would it work to have the 515 in another room, not connected to a display and control it from a mobile device via the app ?

Found out from Onkyo Forum that you have to SWIPE left/right/up/down. Works fine.

The Q Setup & Home Menu do not show on the app, they show on the connected display and the Front Panel of the unit.
post #189 of 309 Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkyaz View Post

DLNA works as a Client and Renderer only for music files. The files supported are described on page 93 of my TX-NR515 manual.

That is funny given that its an Audio/VIDEO PROCESSOR. Maybe the next generation will render video streams.
post #190 of 309 Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 10
:)Hello all.Im trying to bi amp my Onkyo.How i see it you plug into the zone 2 on the back of the 515 and connect to a in on the other amp such as a phono in.Set the 515 to zone two and the little box comes up but cant get any sound out of the zone 2 speakers.What am I missing.Bound to be some setting ive missed.Cant find anything in the manual.Followed all their steps.When I do this with the remote that message dosent appear. To select the same source as the main room’s, press
ZONE 2 twice. “Z2 Sel: Source” appears on the AV
receiver’s display.Have the latest firmware.Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance!!!
post #191 of 309 Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Regarding above, your saying you are bi-amping, but not getting output from Zone 2 speakers? Is a little hard to understand your actual setup.
If you are bi-amping as you say means you are running all 7.1 channels to power just a 5.1 speaker setup, the Centre surround speakers lines should be running to the second speaker post of your main front speakers. You then set the amp to "bi-amp in speaker setup" and your away.
If you are running zone 2 speakers, you are not actually bi-amping and this should be set to off in the speaker setup. Your centre surround/zone 2 terminal should be connected directly to your zone 2 speakers.

Original reason for post was actually a quick review. Just brought this amp last week, despite the negative reviews, which sound to be resolved with latest USB firmware update. Ran this update straight up after unpacking and after approx 1 hr, it was good to go. Connected up, ran the audessy setup and made some subtle changes. (It did seem to make the crossover frequencies very low at 40Hz for mains and centre, I bumped up slightly to 60hz to let Sub look after these lower freq. Ran some test music and blu rays and can conclude the sound is excellent. huge upgrade from previous Onkyo setup. The lossless True HD and Master Audio codecs really show what this amp can do. Great across the whole range none of the excessive heat or switching clicking like the old amp. Blown away by the sound at the low cost. Now that the HDMI issue has been resolved I think anyone considering this amp should take with a grain of salt, the many negative comments (if they are referring to the HDMI issue).

Plays ARC and 3D throughput perfectly, does take a little time perhaps 30 sec to power up and detect 3D signal. I think my sequencing of powering up Bluray player first and then Amp, before inserting disc works best.
One thing to remember is the tone controls on the receiver itself, be sure to bump up the bass, and treble a little here also, as these fundamental settings are not in your onscreen setup menu, which some pick up and go type people may miss? Definitely recommend reading the manual after a basic trial to get the most from the player, both Audio and Video can be maximised from the Amp.
Overall great amp, very happy for the money I think it represents great value.
Has anybody done much testing with the various onboard video NR, upscaling settings? I believe the Marvell chipset on board may offer best option for DVD upscaling. Anybody tested this vs their Bluray or even TV doing the grunt work? I think Amp should offer the best performance, but not done testing yet. Would be interested in any others feedback in this area.
post #192 of 309 Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 PM

Sorry i dont think I explained to well.I am running the 515 to 5.1 and want to connect another amp to run 2 speakers in another room.I just thought you could use a out plug on the 515 going to a input on the other amp and away you go but I cant seem to get any sound from the other 2 speakers.Do you or anyone know how to wire this up?
Thanks!!
post #193 of 309 Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
OK, thought that it would be a simple thing to do, for my 515 to be recognized on my video source which is the BenQ 515 to be able to set up the 515 and speakers ans so forth and nothing, for Pete sake have had 5 or more HD receivers and this one is giving me HELL, it must be a combo of newer technology and my age, lol. all I want is for the OSD to be displayed on my screen. read the manual and ZIp on my part.

Using The Benq W1070 PS3 and the 515.

Anny assistance would be more then appreciated.

Thanks

Ralph
post #194 of 309 Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebco View Post

:)Hello all.Im trying to bi amp my Onkyo.How i see it you plug into the zone 2 on the back of the 515 and connect to a in on the other amp such as a phono in.Set the 515 to zone two and the little box comes up but cant get any sound out of the zone 2 speakers.What am I missing.Bound to be some setting ive missed.Cant find anything in the manual.Followed all their steps.When I do this with the remote that message dosent appear. To select the same source as the main room’s, press
Thanks in advance!!!

Hi
Using a Phono input probably won't work on the amp receiving the ZONE 2 line out output from the TX-NR515. I have used AUX, CD, TAPE and VCR succcessfully to receive Zone 2 output.

Zone 2 line out sends an analog signal ( 2 channel ). I have been successful sending AM, FM, CD, and NET inputs from the TX-NR515 to Zone 2 devices.

SpunkyAZ

post #195 of 309 Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM

Does anyone experience a problem where the reciever turns itself on? Currently I have a uverse set op box attached to the reciever and then to a vizio tv. CEC is enabled so I can control the volume from the tv. Things seem to work. When I turn the tv off the reciever shuts off too. However, about 60 seconds later it powers back on. I think this is because its still getting a signal from the uverse box. Is there any solution to this where I can keep the volume control from my tv remote?
post #196 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Hi
Using a Phono input probably won't work on the amp receiving the ZONE 2 line out output from the TX-NR515. I have used AUX, CD, TAPE and VCR succcessfully to receive Zone 2 output.

Zone 2 line out sends an analog signal ( 2 channel ). I have been successful sending AM, FM, CD, and NET inputs from the TX-NR515 to Zone 2 devices.

SpunkyAZ
Thanks Spunky but I have tried AUX, CD, TAPE and VCR and none of them work.
post #197 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks Spunky but I have tried AUX, CD, TAPE and VCR and none of them work.

1. In Speaker set up on TX-NR515 set Powered Zone 2 to NO.
2. Connect your RCA cables to the Zone 2 jacks on the back of TX-NR515.
3. Connect the other ends of the RCA cables to your chosen Input jacks of your Zone 2 amplifier / receiver. Do not connect to the Phono jack.
4. Tune your Zone 2 amp to the input you have selected and adjust the volume to normal listening level.
5. Tune your TX-NR515 to the input you want to send to Zone 2. (FM radio is a good test input).
6. Adjust the FM station and volume on the TX-NR515 so you can hear the broadcast on your main speakers.
7. Press the Zone 2 button on the front of your TX-NR515, unitl the display reads SOURCE.
You should hear your FM radio broadcast on the Zone 2 amp / speakers.

post #198 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

:)How i see it you plug into the zone 2 on the back of the 515 and connect to a in on the other amp such as a phono in.Set the 515 to zone two and the little box comes up but cant get any sound out of the zone 2 speakers.What am I missing.Bound to be some setting ive missed.Cant find anything in the manual.Followed all their steps.When I do this with the remote that message dosent appear. To select the same source as the main room’s, press
Thanks in advance!!!

Hi ebco, page 67 in OM:

"• Only analog input sources are output from the ZONE 2 LINE
OUT jacks and ZONE 2 L/R terminals. Digital input sources are
not output. If no sound is heard when an input source is selected,
verify that the source is connected to an analog input."
post #199 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM

I'm having a similar issue to the above in that I am currently unable to get the sound from my TV to come out of my "Zone 2" speakers.

I have a 5.1 set up in my living room and 4 pairs of ceiling speakers in other rooms which are on the Zone 2. I have an AMP 100 to power the Zone 2. I can get FM music to play out of the Zone 2 speakers, but not the TV sound.

Is this the issue of the Zone 2 not being able to carry a digital signal? I know there has to be a way to do this, I'm just not technologically minded and can't figure it out.

Secondary issue: The receiver is connected to the wall via ethernet cable, but this does not appear to allow the TV to access the internet. Is there some setting I need so the the internet signal can get to the TV? Right now the TV can do wireless, but if it does that, then the surround speakers do not work. Like, if I get netflix wirelessly through the TV, the only sound that will come out is the TV speakers.

Thanks for any help with this.
post #200 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks Spunky and JC I now have sound on the speakers from FM but as the above poster also says I cant get any sound from the TV.
Thanks again BIG time!!!
post #201 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks Spunky and JC I now have sound on the speakers from FM but as the above poster also says I cant get any sound from the TV.
Thanks again BIG time!!!

As has been already mentioned, Zone 2 only accepts an analog 2 channel signal. If your TV or cable box have analog sound outputs, you may be able to get TV sound to Zone 2. If you leave the HDMI cable plugged in, the TX-NR515 will use the digital sound from the HDMI over the analog sound input. The HDMI cable would need to be removed.

post #202 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post

I'm having a similar issue to the above in that I am currently unable to get the sound from my TV to come out of my "Zone 2" speakers.

I have a 5.1 set up in my living room and 4 pairs of ceiling speakers in other rooms which are on the Zone 2. I have an AMP 100 to power the Zone 2. I can get FM music to play out of the Zone 2 speakers, but not the TV sound.

Is this the issue of the Zone 2 not being able to carry a digital signal? I know there has to be a way to do this, I'm just not technologically minded and can't figure it out.

Secondry issue: the receiver is connected to the wall via ethernet cable, but this does not appear to allow the TV to access the internet. Is there some setting I need so the the internet signal can get to the TV? Right now the TV can do wireless, but if it does that, then the surround speakers do not work. Like, if I get netflix wirelessly through the TV, the only sound that will come out is the TV speakers.

Thanks for any help with this.

As has been already mentioned, Zone 2 only accepts an analog 2 channel signal. If your TV or cable box have analog sound outputs, you may be able to get TV sound to Zone 2. If you leave the HDMI cable plugged in, the TX-NR515 will use the digital sound from the HDMI over the analog sound input. The HDMI cable would need to be removed.

Secondary issue:

The TX-NR515 will not act as an ethernet switch or extender for your TV. You could add an ethernet switch at the point where your TX-NR515 connects to the wall ethernet connection. The ethernet switch should have at least 5 ports. The TV and TX-NR515 could then be wired to the ethernet via the switch.

post #203 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:

So you are saying there isn't a way to get the TV sound to come out of the Zone 2 speakers without physically disconnecting the HDMI cable? That just seems so crazy. I wouldn't even have a picture without the HDMI cable. I tried running an analog cable from the TV to the receiver in addition to the HDMI, and nothing, but I was thinking maybe there was a setting I needed to hit in order to get the sound coming from both places. The manuel gives instructions for getting the same sound to come out of both places, but so far it just doesn't work. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong.
Quote:

Secondary issue:

The TX-NR515 will not act as an ethernet switch or extender for your TV. You could add an ethernet switch at the point where your TX-NR515 connects to the wall ethernet connection. The ethernet switch should have at least 5 ports. The TV and TX-NR515 could then be wired to the ethernet via the switch.
Hrm. For some reason I thought the Internet signal could pass through the receiver. What is the ethernet port even doing there if it won't do that? Internet radio only?
post #204 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post

So you are saying there isn't a way to get the TV sound to come out of the Zone 2 speakers without physically disconnecting the HDMI cable? That just seems so crazy. I wouldn't even have a picture without the HDMI cable. I tried running an analog cable from the TV to the receiver in addition to the HDMI, and nothing, but I was thinking maybe there was a setting I needed to hit in order to get the sound coming from both places. The manuel gives instructions for getting the same sound to come out of both places, but so far it just doesn't work. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong.
Hrm. For some reason I thought the Internet signal could pass through the receiver. What is the ethernet port even doing there if it won't do that? Internet radio only?

The manual states that the HDMI connection will take priority over other sound connections from the same source. I have not tried both, but it sounds like you have and it did not work.

As you observed the network connection is primarily for Internet radio. I also use it for streaming music from my home network using DLNA. Of course it is also used for firmware upgrades.

post #205 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks again Spunky.If thats the case that using the HDMI cable it will only produce digital out of the zone 2 analog plugs do you think you could maybe just put in a Audio Digital-to-Analogue Converter before my other amp`?
Cheers again!!smile.gif
post #206 of 309 Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

:)Hello all.Im trying to bi amp my Onkyo.

Quote:

Thanks again BIG time!!!

Possible because see note on page 52 in OM:

• If the “Speakers Type (Front)” setting is set to “Bi-Amp”,
Powered Zone 2 cannot be used.

Are you sure the cable box can output HDMI and Analog Audio simultaneously?
post #207 of 309 Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM

I just bought this receiver since my Yamaha would not pass 3D signal. Thinking I made a mistake after messing with the ATT Motorola VIP1216. I get stereo only out of this thing. If I set it to surround I get the DD emblem and then the sound is constanly cutting in and out. I am not sure what is going on. The Yamaha had no issues with using the HDMI to provide video and audio. I read a bunch of threads on HDMI issues with this model not sure if it is related....A bit disappointed as my old Onkyo was a beast. I was thinking of send audio over optical tonight to see if that works. Any ideas ???

Thanks
post #208 of 309 Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 AM

It appears as though the Motorola box was the issue. I moved the one from my bedroom and all seems to be o.k. Main DVR box is being replaced by AT&T. Just FYI if anyone else has this issue.
post #209 of 309 Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Just set up this receiver and am having problem. I've got a DVI source (a Linux box running MythTV) that I am converting to HDMI with an appropriate cable. This works fine when I plug it directly into the monitor. When I plug it into the receiver (on HDM1, verified working with my cable box output) it doesn't display the video. The video does show on the InstaPreview thumbnail tho, which is odd.

I talked to Onkyo phone support. They guy said the input video needs to have 1080, 720, or 480 vertical resolution, and this source is 1366 x 768. But I don't think he knows what he's talking about. First if it were an unsupported resolution it wouldn't show on the thumbnail. Second when I change the resolution of that source to 640 x 480, it still doesn't display. Third, I have a different computer source that is 1040 x 768 and it works fine.

Anyone know how I can troubleshoot this?
post #210 of 309 Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well have had 2 different 515 and both did not work on passing the 3D or recognizing my BenQ W1070 projector so sending it back, now what receiver to replace it with?????? NO MORE 515 for me anyways

Ralph
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr515
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page