Configuration for Bass crossover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Note: I created a new thread when I intended to add this post to the existing thread on the Yamaha RX-V3800. I have done that now and would delete this post if I could. If you have an answer feel free to answer in either place. Moderators, feel free to remove this post and just leave the one in the Yamaha thread.

I need some help with configuation and the manual doesn't provide enough information, at least from what I could find. I have had the Yamaha RX-V3800 for a number of years, but am just now changing my center speaker from a traditional mid,tweeter,mid design to the Golden Ear 50C. I am doing this for two reasons. The first is that the tweeter of the Golden Ear is a better match to the Planar mid and tweeter of my mains. The second reason is that my center has been inside my cabinet because it would block the TV if placed on the top. However, because of its width, I had to set it back inside the cabinet. The result was a bit of the cupped hand effect and the speaker was at a lower height than my mains. The Golden Ear sits nicely on top of the cabinet without blocking the TV at all, and the height is just about perfect.

The only drawback is that the Golden Ear center is a little bit thin in the midrange. So I have tried playing with the bass crossover setting in the receiver. Unfortunately, there is not a setting per speaker or speaker type, just overall. However, since I have set my mains to large and the center and rears to small, the manual tells me that the frequencies below the cutoff will be sent to the "fronts or the sub", but it doesn't say what will determine which. My preference is that the frequencies below the cutoff be sent to the sub, and the sub only used for LFE. There is a bass setting which I set to Subwoofer, not both.

What settings specifically should I choose to make sure that if I set the cutoff to 100 Hz, the frequencies below that will go just to my front speakers, and not the sub.? As noted above, I want the sub to only receive the LFE channel?

If this can work as I am specifying above, then I think setting the cutoff at 100 won't result in too much noticible change except the frequencies between around 80 and 100 will be a little stronger since they will be coming from my mains. But since they will be coming equally from the fronts, they will still sound like they are coming from the center and hopefully will just blend right in with what is already coming from the center. Theoretically, that should maintain the front image. I think I have it already set this way, but I want to make sure.

Thanks for the help.

Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandRobb View Post

Hi,
I need some help with configuation and the manual doesn't provide enough information, at least from what I could find. I have had the 3800 for a number of years, but am just now changing my center speaker from a traditional mid,tweeter,mid design to the Golden Ear 50C. I am doing this for two reasons. The first is that the tweeter of the Golden Ear is a better match to the Planar mid and tweeter of my mains. The second reason is that my center has been inside my cabinet because it would block the TV if placed on the top. However, because of its width, I had to set it back inside the cabinet. The result was a bit of the cupped hand effect and the speaker was at a lower height than my mains. The Golden Ear sits nicely on top of the cabinet without blocking the TV at all, and the height is just about perfect.
The only drawback is that the Golden Ear center is a little bit thin in the midrange. So I have tried playing with the bass crossover setting in the receiver. Unfortunately, there is not a setting per speaker or speaker type, just overall. However, since I have set my mains to large and the center and rears to small, the manual tells me that the frequencies below the cutoff will be sent to the "fronts or the sub", but it doesn't say what will determine which. My preference is that the frequencies below the cutoff be sent to the sub, and the sub only used for LFE. There is a bass setting which I set to Subwoofer, not both.
What settings specifically should I choose to make sure that if I set the cutoff to 100 Hz, the frequencies below that will go just to my front speakers, and not the sub.? As noted above, I want the sub to only receive the LFE channel?
If this can work as I am specifying above, then I think setting the cutoff at 100 won't result in too much noticible change except the frequencies between around 80 and 100 will be a little stronger since they will be coming from my mains. But since they will be coming equally from the fronts, they will still sound like they are coming from the center and hopefully will just blend right in with what is already coming from the center. Theoretically, that should maintain the front image. I think I have it already set this way, but I want to make sure.
Thanks for the help.
Robb

if you have a sub, the frequencies below crossover go to the sub AFAIK. If you don't have a sub configured, they'd go to the fronts rather than into the ether.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll try my best to answer (sorry if some of the terminology isn't 100% accurate).
The LFE channel in a 5.1 or 7.1 mix has no correlation to the crossover point of your main speakers, it is a separate channel.
Your speakers should be set to small (yes it sounds strange even if you have large speakers). If the speakers are set to full then all bass sounds that were intended to be sent to your fronts will be sent to your fronts and not your subwoofer. This doesn't make much difference in 5.1 material, however if you have a stereo signal for music then no bass will be sent your sub. Note that because you have set your other speakers to small the base sent to them will go to your subwoofer. So in your setup the subwoofer will have in a 5.1 signal bass from the lfe channel (.1) and bass below the crossover point of the centre and surround channels.
If you set up will all your speakers to small the subwoofer will get all bass from your speakers and from the LFE channel. This can sometimes be too much bass and there should be a setting in your AVR to reduce the LFE signal on certain signals by 10db, eg for DTS master audio, dolby digital, ect.
If your AVR has a crossover for the LFE channed (not your subwoofer) then set this to 120hz as this is the limit of the LFE channel (google why it should be this way as there are better explanations than I can give).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page