post #31 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonlim View Post

I finally got my integra 80.3 set up and calibrated with 8 positions last night. I am also running 9.1 for the first time with all speakers angled properly. I am running the extra wide and heights.

All I can say is that I am very underwhelmed by the experience. I found that it did not add anything extra to the immersion i was getting with regular 5.1.

If anything, it robbed the receiver of more power as I found I was turning up the volume higher than normal.

I believe that if your speakers are good quality, adding the extra speakers is not worthwhile and does tax the power supply more.

Heights and wides are really just a preference thing, as there is no agreed standard for them, nor indeed any content specifically mixed for them (with the exception of Expendables 2, allegedly). Some people will like the effect, others, like you, won't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I was expecting a lot more envelopment but could hardly hear the difference. I truly believe that you have to bump up the quality of your power supply via running separate power supply to hear a real difference. Can you imagine the strain on the amp running that many channels...even top of the line receivers would struggle. I reckon the overall quality of sound may suffer as your power supply has to cope with more channels.
post #33 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I was expecting a lot more envelopment but could hardly hear the difference. I truly believe that you have to bump up the quality of your power supply via running separate power supply to hear a real difference. Can you imagine the strain on the amp running that many channels...even top of the line receivers would struggle. I reckon the overall quality of sound may suffer as your power supply has to cope with more channels.
post #34 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan209 View Post

DSX does not generate reflections to make a room seem larger like yamaha's system.
From Audyssey's own website:
Quote:
But with Audyssey DSX we are adding reflections? What’s all this about? The key word is “unwanted.”

But, what if we could recreate the desirable reflections? Then, we can really feel more immersed in the scene.
Suffice it to say, those "reflections" weren't in the original soundtrack mix.

Sanjay
post #35 of 51 Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Alright guys, a few days ago I said running aud dsx was not worth it.....I found a little option in a menu called audessey effect which I increased to +2. I ditched the height speakers and mu gosh !! The scale, increased expansiveness and integration of the new audessey xt32 and the wide speakers was truly breath taking.

I was wondering why 10/10 reviews I have been reading on dsx wide have been positive and I wasn't getting it.

I reckon it's worth upgrading just for audessey xt32 alone. My room is set up with about 20 bass trap panels and optimized for 2 channel listening and yet audessey could improve my bass response from my svs subwoofer. I can actually here more low level drums on movie soundtracks. Definitely worthwhile. Not so sure about heights as I was running very poor quality speakers for heights but high quality speakers for my front wide.

The biggest difference is during sounds panning...now the transition is super smooth when an object moves around from the front speakers to the side rear surround.
post #36 of 51 Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
^^^dsx wides are awesome! biggrin.gif

I started out with heights due to space constraints in my old house. No matter how much i adjusted various settings and what not I did not care much for the way audyssey's dsx handled the heights. I preferred PLIIz height matrixing much better.

Fast forward to October this year, new house and more space....I set up my floorstanders that I was using as my surrounds in the old house as wides just to see what it was like. I moved the bookies on stands from my bedroom set up to use as surrounds in my main set up. Placed everything just so, ran audyssey and sat down prepared to be mildly disappointed....and to my amazement the wides experience with dsx just flat out floored me. the soudstage was huge. the panning all the way around was absolutely seamless. Now I understood why audyssey recommends wides before heights.

I love just sitting in my theater area and taking it all in visually even if my gear is on the more entry level side of things...it impresses....from left to right i get to see a polk monitor 60, a psw505, a polk monitor 70, a mits 65 in dlp and a polk cs2 in the middle, a polk monitor 70, a psw505, a polk monitor 60 and equipment rack. to my immediate left and right are a set of monitor 40s on stands with the tweeter about 8 inches above ear height.

Someday I would like to run wides and heights together (and even surround backs too) but that would require a receiver upgrade, and since my onkyo is not even a year old yet it will be a while. I'd also like to try out dts neo x someday too.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #37 of 51 Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonlim View Post

Alright guys, a few days ago I said running aud dsx was not worth it.....I found a little option in a menu called audessey effect which I increased to +2. I ditched the height speakers and mu gosh !! The scale, increased expansiveness and integration of the new audessey xt36 and the wide speakers was truly breath taking.

I was wondering why 10/10 reviews I have been reading on dsx wide have been positive and I wasn't getting it.

I reckon it's worth upgrading just for audessey xt36 alone. My room is set up with about 20 bass trap panels and optimized for 2 channel listening and yet audessey could improve my bass response from my svs subwoofer. I can actually here more low level drums on movie soundtracks. Definitely worthwhile. Not so sure about heights as I was running very poor quality speakers for heights but high quality speakers for my front wide.

The biggest difference is during sounds panning...now the transition is super smooth when an object moves around from the front speakers to the side rear surround.

Thx for sharing your experience.
I'd like to see a picture of your room and the acoustics setup.
Btw, it's short hand is xt32 not xt36, for MultEQ XT32
http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #38 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM

I just upgraded from a 3806 and have 4 surround speakers, for front row and rear row, and well as rear surrounds. i had surround a for front row and surround b for second row and of course surround rear.

now with the 4311ci, i have nowhere to plug in surround b. i don't have height or width speakers.

how do i fix this?

thank you!
post #39 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Just wire the surround A+B in parallel which is all that the 3806 did.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #40 of 51 Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
What height are the Wides supposed to be at? I presume they would have to be the same height of the fronts?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #41 of 51 Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo View Post

What height are the Wides supposed to be at? I presume they would have to be the same height of the fronts?

It's not so much about height/distance with DSX as it is about angles. Wides will be tweeter height/ear height like the fronts, ideally.

Follow this diagram and you will be in line with Audyssey's recommendations:

post #42 of 51 Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It's not so much about height/distance with DSX as it is about angles. Wides will be tweeter height/ear height like the fronts, ideally.

Follow this diagram and you will be in line with Audyssey's recommendations:

Thanks, that's what I figured. The Heights have an elevation of 45deg and the Wides are ear height. Look forward to trying this out.

Vince

AVSForum
post #43 of 51 Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I've been running 11.3 with a 4311 for about 6 months now. There was only one time I noticed the heights. I was watching the new ghost rider movie and there was a scene where the ghost rider rode his motorcycle into some sort of construction zone and turned a giant crane into a giant spinning flamey thing. Anyway, I could hear several rockets going over my head. It was awesome. I'm not sure if the soundtrack had a height channel or if it was some combination of ausyssey processing and the soundtrack, but I wish more movies used the heights. Normally, I don't notice them at all. The wides aren't very noticeable either. The heights and wides only seem to play ambient sounds.

I haven't played with the soundstage settings. I saw them and was afraid it would invalidate the audyssey calibration and require another session of listening to about 100 pulses while moving that plastic mic around. May give it shot tonight.
post #44 of 51 Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I've been running 11.3 with a 4311 for about 6 months now. There was only one time I noticed the heights. I was watching the new ghost rider movie and there was a scene where the ghost rider rode his motorcycle into some sort of construction zone and turned a giant crane into a giant spinning flamey thing. Anyway, I could hear several rockets going over my head. It was awesome. I'm not sure if the soundtrack had a height channel or if it was some combination of ausyssey processing and the soundtrack, but I wish more movies used the heights. Normally, I don't notice them at all. The wides aren't very noticeable either. The heights and wides only seem to play ambient sounds.
I haven't played with the soundstage settings. I saw them and was afraid it would invalidate the audyssey calibration and require another session of listening to about 100 pulses while moving that plastic mic around. May give it shot tonight.

Keep us posted, I've read that some people adjusted the presence and it helped alot.

AVSForum
post #45 of 51 Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

So after setting up my wides and fully calibrating my system using DSX, I must say I am impressed. I love it and leave it on all the time.

One thing I did notice is that you can't get 9ch's all the time. It all depends on the stream provided by the content. For example:

5.1 DD, DTS, DTS-HD, DTHD >> 7.2 DSX
7.1 DD, DTS, DTS-HD, DTHD >> 9.2 DSX

2ch >> 9.2 PLIIx + Audyssey DSX

So what I can't figure out is why we can't get 5.1 to a 9.2 DSX preset, why only 7.2??

AVSForum
post #46 of 51 Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I run 9.2 with height and wides and use DTS NEo X and it sounds great to me:D. You just have to experiment with the diffrent option to see what sounds best to you. It took me quite a while and numerous speaker configurations before I finally settled on my current setup.
post #47 of 51 Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Duh, my post was in response to yadfgp's qustions. I need to preview before I submit. Anyways lindonlim, I wonder if your 9.1 setup seemed undewhelming because when you rerun audyssey it turns of Dynamic Volume, unless of course you never had it on in the first place in which case never mind:)
post #48 of 51 Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Yes, you need at least 2 additional speakers to run height or wide. You would need 4 more speaker if you want to run the full set-up but few DSX receivers will run the full set-up (most let you do wide OR height...not both). I have a DSX set-up with wides and enjoy it quite a bit. You can see the set-up in my SIG if at all interested.

From what I am gathering about Audyssey DSX is it would need more than 5.1 setup to make it work, correct?

Did you take your wides down? I dont see them in the pics that are attached to your sig. I see the left, the center inbetween 2 sets of subs then the right. then I saw your side and rear surrounds. So where are the wides? Or are those not your sub that are on the left and right of the center?
post #49 of 51 Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
A-DSX & A-DSX FAQ pages have disappeared from Audyssey Site; anyone have a link to where they went?

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #50 of 51 Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I don't have room for wide channel speakers so I have not tried them... I do very much like height channels for movies ... I also prefer Dolby PLIIz for my height channels instead of Audyssey DSX. DSX derives the height (and wide) info from the front channels and makes for a too 'front-centric' sound IMO, whereas PLIIz derives its info from the surround channels and that, for me, gives a better result.

Agreed. For the record, I got my AVR-4311ci a couple of months ago and also like Dolby PLIIz better than Audyssey DSX in a similar 9.2 configuration with Heights and Rears (no wides).
post #51 of 51 Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
ZT, did you ever run Heights AND Wides???
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Onkyo , Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Pioneer Sc05 Elite 7 1 Channel A V Receiver With Thx Select2 Plus , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page