Audyssey DSX; Anyone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Right now I own / use a Yamaha RX-V671 and it offers YPAO, which I know is different than Audyssey and Audyssey DSX.

My goal:

I am having a house built right now that will have a dedicated home theater room, which my intentions is to put the Yamaha RX-V671 in there with my 7.2 setup.

The reason why I am asking about the Audyssey DSX is there's a simple Onkyo receiver and price is pretty attractive that seems to have great features, network streaming and offers this Audyssey DSX.

The receiver is the HT-RC360 * http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC360&class=Receiver&p=i *

My plan is to install this Onkyo into the family room (not home-theater room) that will be pushing little Mirage MX5 speakers (5.1).
From what I am gathering about Audyssey DSX is it would need more than 5.1 setup to make it work, correct?

If so, I would be willing to buy a pair of little mirage sats if thats the case. cool.gif

So if anyone can share any input about Audyssey DSX that would be wonderful.

Last, would this Onkyo be a better performer in the dedicated HT room than my Yami 671?

I know the Yami is much more expensive, but I don't really believe that "Just because you pay more it will be better" belief biggrin.gif

Thanks for any input.

Cheers

** By the way, I never owned ONKYO, but did have a denon 1611 and pioneer SC05 a while back and now a Yami 671 **

HT: PJ: ?? , Screen: ??,B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62 / DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, iNuke DSP1000, Oppo 103 , PS4, HTPC- Lenovo q190.
| Media Room: Yamaha RX-A 820, PS3, Vizio 55 (M-Series) with in-wall Polk Audio RC series (5-channel), Sub1200 (dual) w/ DirectTV & PS3 / PLEX | Family Room: LED: Sharp 70" -Smart, DTV Client, PS3, Mirage MX 5.1 / HK Audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Just as with the 1611 you could expand to 7.1 using DD PLIIz (Front Height) so to would you use Audyssey DSX to add either Front Height or Front Wide.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 51 Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Yes, you need at least 2 additional speakers to run height or wide. You would need 4 more speaker if you want to run the full set-up but few DSX receivers will run the full set-up (most let you do wide OR height...not both). I have a DSX set-up with wides and enjoy it quite a bit. You can see the set-up in my SIG if at all interested.

From what I am gathering about Audyssey DSX is it would need more than 5.1 setup to make it work, correct?
post #4 of 51 Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
i was considering the onkyo 360 as well, but decided against it because it only has audyssey 2EQ. the 709 would be a better (more expensive) option if you can still find one.
post #5 of 51 Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Yes, you need at least 2 additional speakers to run height or wide. You would need 4 more speaker if you want to run the full set-up but few DSX receivers will run the full set-up (most let you do wide OR height...not both). I have a DSX set-up with wides and enjoy it quite a bit. You can see the set-up in my SIG if at all interested.

Generally, yes ... it's used to expand to 7.1 or higher, however, technically DSX only needs the FL/C/FR speakers to create either the FH or FW speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 51 Old 06-22-2012, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I run 9.1 (5.1 + Wide + High)
Wide give me more complete surround sensation than standard 5.1 even with small room (10x10 ft).
High also help, but not as much as wide.
post #7 of 51 Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amortized View Post

I run 9.1 (5.1 + Wide + High)
Wide give me more complete surround sensation than standard 5.1 even with small room (10x10 ft).
High also help, but not as much as wide.

Same here, plus I also have surround rears that I use instead of front highs on 7.1 soundtracks. I agree that wides give the biggest benefit to the soundstage so I never disable wides.
post #8 of 51 Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I run 9.1 with wides and rear. I love the wides and went with the rears because I have many blu-rays that are encoded for 7.1 (rear surrounds). I have tried the height setup and it does add some ambiance but it is only on certain movies. My choice is wides, rears then heights.

post #9 of 51 Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So all of you guys that are running 9.1 setups, what do you prefer for movies? Audeyssey DSX? DTS-Neo X? Something else?

Either 1 of those 2 can play any of the surround formats just fine right?

I just recently bought a new Onkyo TX-NR818 that is 9.2, and I have 9 speakers, with heights, rears and not wides, and the 818 has like 40 if not more options for what you want to run. It's like WTF? REALLY? redface.gif

I've been trying DTS-Neo X but it's driving me nuts wondering should I maybe be using Dolby II-z (since I have heights) or maybe Audeyssey DSX....?

Speaking of these formats, they all will play either Dolby stuff or DTS just fine right?

If I'm watching a Dolby True HD movie, having DTS-Neo X will play that just fine right?

And vice versa if I'm watching a DTS movie, Dolby II-z will play that just fine to right?

Also alot of my other options are to play these formats, plus many others have a THX added option to it also. So I may have like DTS-Neo X, but I also have a DTS-Neo X WITH THT as well!!!!!!

ALL THESE OPTIONS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! frown.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 51 Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

So all of you guys that are running 9.1 setups, what do you prefer for movies? Audeyssey DSX? DTS-Neo X? Something else?
Either 1 of those 2 can play any of the surround formats just fine right?

I'm using a full-boat Audyssey DSX 11.2 setup (Denon 4311ci) and found that I use it a lot for movies and often with music. Another mode is Dolby Height, which some people like a lot. I don't use it much.

A very good thread on this is here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384892/is-dts-neo-x-that-good
Quote:
I just recently bought a new Onkyo TX-NR818 that is 9.2, and I have 9 speakers, with heights, rears and not wides, and the 818 has like 40 if not more options for what you want to run. It's like WTF? REALLY? redface.gif
ALL THESE OPTIONS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! frown.gif

And don't forget the ability to decrease or increase the settings on all of these! For instance the Wide and Highs on DSX can be changed to make the soundstage smaller or even bigger than default.
I personally love playing with all these options. Content is recorded in so many different ways that playing with these options can often really help out.
post #11 of 51 Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

I'm using a full-boat Audyssey DSX 11.2 setup (Denon 4311ci) and found that I use it a lot for movies and often with music. Another mode is Dolby Height, which some people like a lot. I don't use it much.
A very good thread on this is here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384892/is-dts-neo-x-that-good
And don't forget the ability to decrease or increase the settings on all of these! For instance the Wide and Highs on DSX can be changed to make the soundstage smaller or even bigger than default.
I personally love playing with all these options. Content is recorded in so many different ways that playing with these options can often really help out.

Thanks for the reply. It can definitely be good to have all these extra options, but I'm the kind of guy who prefers having a "1 shoe fits all" type of setup. Just like to set it and be done with it. smile.gif

I do seem to prefer running DTS Neo-X so far for my 9.1 setup with heights and rears. I do think though that the heights don't seem to be getting utilized enough though, but I haven't tried out that much material yet.That's ok to use for all sources right? Whether it be Dolby, or DTS right? When watching any type BD or DVD's, it's just nice to just be able to throw the disc in and have great sound no matter what, without having to trying to figure out what would work best for what.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #12 of 51 Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Have anyone tried upmixing 5.1 to 7.1 with Prologic IIx? Love it? Majority of Blurays are still in 5.1 though.
My current living hall is about 16' wide x 25' long. I've read that 7.1 brings a huge plus in large space.
I've tried DSX Wide before on my 3312. Despite lot of praises about it, I don't like it when in certain movies dialog will spill over to other channels and the DSX Wide mode will create the echo and hollow sound.mad.gif
I'm planning to ditch the DSX Wide setup and use the speakers for rear surrounds, hoping for a more enveloping surround in movies.

Any thoughts?
post #13 of 51 Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Have anyone tried upmixing 5.1 to 7.1 with Prologic IIx? Love it? Majority of Blurays are still in 5.1 though.
My current living hall is about 16' wide x 25' long. I've read that 7.1 brings a huge plus in large space.
I've tried DSX Wide before on my 3312. Despite lot of praises about it, I don't like it when in certain movies dialog will spill over to other channels and the DSX Wide mode will create the echo and hollow sound.mad.gif
I'm planning to ditch the DSX Wide setup and use the speakers for rear surrounds, hoping for a more enveloping surround in movies.
Any thoughts?

I don't have room for wide channel speakers so I have not tried them. My feeling is that wide speakers are especially suitable for music reproduction and less so for movies (which are the main material listened to in my HT as I have a separate system for music). I do very much like height channels for movies and feel they add more (to movies) than wides might. I also prefer Dolby PLIIz for my height channels instead of Audyssey DSX. DSX derives the height (and wide) info from the front channels and makes for a too 'front-centric' sound IMO, whereas PLIIz derives its info from the surround channels and that, for me, gives a better result. YMMV. Speaker placement for PLIIz is also far less demanding than it is for DSX as a glance at the respective websites will show.

Personally, for movies, I would much prefer, in a room the size of yours, to have rear surrounds than DSX wides. Just my personal preference.

post #14 of 51 Old 07-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Thanks for the reply. It can definitely be good to have all these extra options, but I'm the kind of guy who prefers having a "1 shoe fits all" type of setup. Just like to set it and be done with it. smile.gif
To be honest, I like the default DSX settings so much I hardly ever tweek them. Those rare times I want to, though, it's nice to have the options.
Quote:
I do seem to prefer running DTS Neo-X so far for my 9.1 setup with heights and rears. I do think though that the heights don't seem to be getting utilized enough though, but I haven't tried out that much material yet.That's ok to use for all sources right? Whether it be Dolby, or DTS right? When watching any type BD or DVD's, it's just nice to just be able to throw the disc in and have great sound no matter what, without having to trying to figure out what would work best for what.
My 4311ci doesn't have Neo-X, so I can't comment on that. However, if it's anything like DSX, you aren't supposed to notice the wide or height speakers, just an expanded soundstage. I only notice mine when I turn them off, and the normal 7.1 speaker soundstage sounds a LOT smaller. Most music is ok with DSX, but some of it sounds better in stereo. DSX is made for movies.

Quote:

Any thoughts?

I use Prologic IIx or DTS Neo to upmix *everything* to 7.1. I've never noticed any negatives. I've also never had the problem you are having with DSX wides on movies. Have you tried reducing the width of the DSX setting? Do you have the wides at 60 degrees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I don't have room for wide channel speakers so I have not tried them. My feeling is that wide speakers are especially suitable for music reproduction and less so for movies (which are the main material listened to in my HT as I have a separate system for music). I do very much like height channels for movies and feel they add more (to movies) than wides might. I also prefer Dolby PLIIz for my height channels instead of Audyssey DSX. DSX derives the height (and wide) info from the front channels and makes for a too 'front-centric' sound IMO, whereas PLIIz derives its info from the surround channels and that, for me, gives a better result. YMMV. Speaker placement for PLIIz is also far less demanding than it is for DSX as a glance at the respective websites will show.

Personally, for movies, I would much prefer, in a room the size of yours, to have rear surrounds than DSX wides. Just my personal preference.

As you have pointed out, everybody has different opinions on this stuff, but you should probably try wides before making recommendations. The wides are far more important than rear surrounds or heights as far as impact, and (for DSX) they are made specifically for movies, not music. Unfortunately, there are very few receivers that can do the full 11.1 DSX, so most of these comparisons are only for height or wide and not everything at once.
post #15 of 51 Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

As you have pointed out, everybody has different opinions on this stuff, but you should probably try wides before making recommendations.

I didn't make any recommendations - just gave my personal opinion and preferences. I thought that was clear from my post but perhaps it wasn't.

post #16 of 51 Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have a Denon 4311 and have an 11.2 setup. It is just my preference, but I rarely use wides; i.e. DSX, and have PLIIZ as my default for all inputs. Heights in conjunction with 4 surround sound speakers can generate an impressive soundstage width versus without heights. I find it most impressive with music CD's and 2 channel streaming stuff like Netflix or Amazon. With respect to film, the heights come into play, on my system, when the full orchestra plays whether it be 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1. I don't get much if anything when it comes to sound effects like explosions etc with heights. If one has the capabilities, then run heights and wides and make up your own mind. Wides are just easier to set up, especially for floor standing speakers. Heights can be a problem: as to where to put them and connecting them into a stud.
post #17 of 51 Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:

Have anyone tried upmixing 5.1 to 7.1 with Prologic IIx?
Been using it for the last 8 years with excellent results. PLIIx doesn't touch the front soundstage, just steers the contents of the 2 surround channels across 4 surround speakers.
Quote:

I've read that 7.1 brings a huge plus in large space.
It brings rear-vs-side directionality, wrap-around envelopment and greater imaging stability in the surround field. If you can tell the difference between sounds coming from the sides vs sounds coming from behind you, then you'll appreciate the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 playback.
Quote:

I don't like it when in certain movies dialog will spill over to other channels and the DSX Wide mode will create the echo and hollow sound.
DSX generates early reflections (that weren't in the recording) based on concert hall acoustics. Doesn't quite sound like echos to me, but you might be more sensitive to the effect. By comparison, Neo:X extracts information (from the recording itself) for its height and wide speakers. With Neo, the wide speakers simply bridge the gap between the fronts and surrounds (like extracting a centre output between those channels).

Sanjay
post #18 of 51 Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM

DSX does not generate reflections to make a room seem larger like yamaha's system. It finds the reflections from the original recording that are there due to the movie sets characteristics and it steers this data to the appropriate speaker to create a realistic envolpment of sound trying to preserve the sense of spaciousness of wherever the scene was recorded. Whether this be a smaller room or no room. For the best results you must treat your own rooms reflections so you never here your rooms signature size get in the way of your brains processing. Sdurani is correct that it may come down to personal preference but it seems very realistic to me and the only bad thing I've ever heard from this technology is from movies with a voice of god effect. Other than this DSX has been highly regarded and recommended. Until THX's backed AURO 3D or other 11+ discrete audio formats are introduced over the next 5 years I believe DSX has the most benefits for envelopment especially in a large room. If you do not like it there is also NEO:X but I believe the benefits of this to be very subtle.
post #19 of 51 Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan209 View Post

DSX does not generate reflections to make a room seem larger like yamaha's system. It finds the reflections from the original recording that are there due to the movie sets characteristics...

Not sure where you get your information but Chris, Audyssey CTO, has said more than once that it *does* generate the side wall reflections that would be there in a larger than home listening venue.

Noah
post #20 of 51 Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Interesting because he told me it was steered much in the same way I described. This was from his ask audyssey site
post #21 of 51 Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM

The statement that DSX focuses on making a room just sound larger is the falsehood I care about most even if Chris is vague about how the reflections are interpreted
post #22 of 51 Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM

If I had to guess why it's ambiguous to this then I would believe that the data is steered to the appropriate channel for reflection timing and then perhaps that actual sound produced is generated for a more desirable match to the main channels output... This is something I would like to ask Chris.
post #23 of 51 Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM

My reasoning for disagreeing with a purely generated sound is because then yes it would be correct that DSX was designed like Yamaha YPAO to produce a sound that seemed to come from a larger room such as a concert hall at all times. This is just not the case. It was designed to adapt to the information being presented to it to emulate the spacesnious of the movie set where it was recorded. Another interest to me is the SRS Cinema 3D technology. Maybe we can discuss what that may have to offer compared to DSX or NEO:X as well as the function of DSX's reflections and timings.
post #24 of 51 Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I posted the below Q in http://www.facebook.com/groups/audysseytechtalk/?fref=ts

I'd like the take of people here that have the appropriate acoustic treatments in their dedicated HT room and what they have done to implement DSX.
Quote:
Chris - my dedicated basement HT room has appropriate acoustic treatments at 1st side wall/ceiling reflections for both 1st and 2nd row, verified via ETC. I see on your FAQ for DSX you recommend wides before heights. In this case, is it "ok" to go with heights directly on top of my 7.1 set-up since my walls have treatments on them already?
http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2010/05/a-practical-guide-to-audyssey-dsx/
post #25 of 51 Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM

Hi There

First post in here.

I have a 11.1 setup with heights and wides and have previously owned the Denon avr-4311. I was VERY annoyed with tis echo effect! On the 4311 there is no NEO:X, so I couldn't use all 11 channels (I use external amplification for some of the channels). The echo was also there when I played without heights and back surrounds. But ONLY when I use Audyssey DSX. I sold the thing (with loss). I bought an Onkyo 1009, and there were no problem what so ever, no echo effect. Before the Denon 4520 I had the Onkyo 3008, and NO echo with audyssey DSX.

The Onkyo 1009(and 3008) can only play 9 channels simultaneously, so I really want a receiver that could handle all 11 channels. I really like the look, interface and especially the remote of Denon, so I bought an Denon AVR-4520. The echo, voice of god, church hall effect is back frown.gif. Only when I play Audyssey DSX. This have NEO:X so I can play all channels. I will probably change it.

It is a Denon thing. I am really sad to say because I like Denon (except for this).

Regards
post #26 of 51 Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM

I have an Onkyo 818 in a 7.1 setup in a 13ft wide x 11ft deep room, speaker config is front LCR M&K 651's, side surrounds M&K K4 tripoles and wides are a pair of Atlantic tech 251's.

I am using Audyssey DSX wide for pretty much everything even music which is PLII Audyssey DSX and get no echoes at all, all my movies are Blu-ray or HDDVD discs. I find the wides really make the soundstage envelope me far more than without wides,I am now using this as my default settings.I may add a spare a/v amp to create a further 2 channels as I have some back surround speakers already fixed on the wall from my previous Onkyo 805 amp if this does not add to teh experience I may switch to front heights instead but keep the wides.
post #27 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Funny...

I am running on M&K 2 x 651, 5 x 851, 4 x s95t + MX150 MKII sub. Almost same setup. Sounds beautiful on the Onkyos.
post #28 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejrsen View Post

... I bought an Denon AVR-4520....This have NEO:X so I can play all channels.

So what do you think of NeoX?!

Noah
post #29 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

So what do you think of NeoX?!

Need to have more time to gather experience.
post #30 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

I finally got my integra 80.3 set up and calibrated with 8 positions last night. I am also running 9.1 for the first time with all speakers angled properly. I am running the extra wide and heights.

All I can say is that I am very underwhelmed by the experience. I found that it did not add anything extra to the immersion i was getting with regular 5.1.

If anything, it robbed the receiver of more power as I found I was turning up the volume higher than normal.

I believe that if your speakers are good quality, adding the extra speakers is not worthwhile and does tax the power supply more.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Onkyo , Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Pioneer Sc05 Elite 7 1 Channel A V Receiver With Thx Select2 Plus , Denon
Gear in this thread