Need help with Harman Kardon HK AVR70 & Samsung HDTV Connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had an older (Dolby 5.1) Harman Kardon receiver in storage (HK AVR 70) that worked when I boxed it up. My son recently bought a house and we decided to get it out of storage. He has a Samsung PN42C450 plasma HDTV. Now that it's hooked up, it turns off after 5 minutes. Let me interrupt myself here - I'm fairly confident this isn't an overheating issue or a malfunction in the electronics of the unit.

The receiver is designed to receive a video signal from the TV to turn on automatically. I remember having the problem of it turning off after 5 minutes but I don't remember what I did (other than hooking up a cable from the video out from the TV to the video in on the receiver. Specifically, the manual for the receiver states:

"If a video feed is connected to the TV VIDEO IN jack L during the installation, that signal is used to trigger system turn on. Even when the receiver is turned off, the presence of a signal at the TV VIDEO jack will automatically cause the receiver to turn on. As long as the signal is present, the receiver will remain on. When the TV or other source is turned off, the receiver will automatically return to a standby (“off”) mode within five minutes."

Problem is, the Samsung doesn't have a video out jack. Here's a picture of the connections on the TV:

Question is, without a video output on the TV how can I bypass the signal to prevent the TV from shutting off after 5 minutes? We don't need to TV to come on automatically but obviously we would like to have the receiver stay on for more than 5 minutes. I can't find anywhere in the receiver manual that talks about disabling this function (programming). Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To disable the video signal sense auto-power for TV source with AVR 70 and AVR 80;
Quote:
PROCEDURE TO DEFEAT (CHANGE) THE TV AUTO FUNCTION:
1) Turn on the power switch, light should cycle to green. (Note: if the unit has recently shut down due to
complaint, turn unit back ON by pressing any one of the source selector buttons).
2) While first depressing the MEMO button on the front panel, simultaneously press AND HOLD the TV
button (source selector) on the front panel for four seconds until the display changes; the display will
read TV AT ON (factory preset).*
The display will remain that way for four seconds.
3) TO CHANGE, release both buttons while TV AT ON is being displayed and press the TV button once
to change the function (to OFF); each press will toggle the status between ON and OFF.
Procedure is completed.

Good luck
post #3 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
It would seem the AVR70 is shutting down because it's not receiving a video signal to keep it ON. Current model TV's generally don't have a video out jack so you will need to connect a yellow composite video cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR70 instead. Another option is to press/hold the "MEMO" and "CLEAR" buttons on the front panel to clear any memory of the "TV Auto-On" feature having been used in the past.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page