Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
DB2
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have an Onkyo 7.1 receiver but it's only 4x1 so I'm having to unplug and plug a lot to switch back and forth between my displays. One room has a flat panel and 7.1 speaker setup and the other room has a 32" lcd with internal speakers.

Could someone recommend a good 7.1 receiver that makes it simply to go from room to room? I don't necessary need both displays on at once. That would be nice but not a necessity.

Also, I'd like to have the auto-level-calibration that my current receiver has where you plug in the mic and it levels all of the speakers.

Thanks in advance!

db2

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
The new Denon 3313CI (as well as Marantz SR7007) features a Zone 2 HDMI out that can pass an independent source to another display and it uses Audyssey MultEQ XT (one level higher than the MultEQ in your 707). You can review its' other features by reviewing post #2 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
It would help if you mentioned your budget.

Three HDMI outputs tend to be available only in the most expensive receivers and preamp/processors. A much less expensive HDMI switch might (or might not) be more appropriate. In contrast, some amount of room/speaker equalization usually is available in all but the least expensive models.

At least a couple of the high-end Denon receivers, for example, have three HDMI outputs: two for the main zone (TV + projector) and one for zone 2. Note, however, that if the zone 2 TV supports only stereo (as most do), then when it's powered on only stereo is available in the main zone, too. The HDMI protocol causes the source players to limit their output to be compatible with the least capable display device.

Most modern receivers don't just auto-calibrate the over-all sound level, but also include room equalization. They equalize the output at multiple frequencies in order to produce accurate sound in your listening environment.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
DB2
Advanced Member

I don't need 3 hdmi outputs, just two. All that I want to do is when I use my home theater I want to turn on that flat panel w/ 7.1 speaker setup and have it work without plugging and unplugging. Similarly when I use my exercise room with a small flat panel w/ integrated speakers I want to be able to just come in, turn on and use that tv without plugging and unplugging.

If possible I'd like to stay under $750 for the receiver. Otherwise could I use a 1x2 powered HDMI matrix? Can anyone recommend one of those?

Is that possible? recommendations?

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
585-645-1006

Denon/Marantz dual "main zone" monitor out AVRs are not able to do what you're after as they can only pass HDMI audio to either the AVR's surround speakers or to the TV but not both simultaneously which is what you're after. This is why the new 3rd HDMI output (Zone 2) I mentioned previously would work, although more likely if passing the same source to Zone 2, would also limit the audio to only 2.0 to the surround speakers as well. The Yamaha Aventage models (AXXXX) can pass the same stereo 2.0 audio to Zone 2 over HDMI as is playing in the main zone as well. The way HDMI splitters/switches work is they are limited to the lowest common demoninator of the devices connected to them, so using an HDMI 1x2 splitter would again limit you to only stereo audio to the AVR when connected to a 2nd display that can only accept PCM 2.0 audio.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
DB2
Advanced Member

Thanks for your help jd. What if I didn't want simultaneous playback on 2 displays? How does that work? I would have to turn off one display and turn on the other and it would work? I wouldn't have to plug/unplug anything?

post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM
585-645-1006

Yes, when using the main zone HDMI monitor outputs ... switching the audio to "TV" when wanting to pass the audio to the 2nd display's speakers, whereas when using the 3313CI/7007 you wouldn't have to make any changes as that is the benefit of the Zone 2 HDMI output (ie. independent source to Zone 2).

post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors