TX-NR3010 / 5010 Info - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > TX-NR3010 / 5010 Info
balboa dave's Avatar balboa dave 04:23 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I never had any problem with Ethernet updates either. I got the info from the pdf that went along with the newest update. Also, my AVR did not show this update via the firmware panel, which confirms what they said in the firmware pdf.
Got it, thanks. I usually get these notices via e-mail, so I'm surprised I missed this one. Note that they still suggest to update to the previous version via Net before applying the new version. Hilarious. But the only new feature is "1. Improves audio playback stability of FLAC files via Network / USB." So if you play FLAC, it's worth it.

cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 08:20 PM 05-03-2013
I grabbed it because I am paranoid they fixed a bug that they refuse to admit exists...
balboa dave's Avatar balboa dave 11:02 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:

I grabbed it because I am paranoid they fixed a bug that they refuse to admit exists...
That actually makes sense.
blub-blub's Avatar blub-blub 11:49 PM 05-11-2013
Hey guys anyone knows which calibration microphone came with the 3010 units?
The one I have is the acm1hb and I am afraid I might have put the wrong one to the trash :-)!
jwcole1224's Avatar jwcole1224 07:24 AM 05-12-2013
The ACM1HB is the correct one, or at least it's the one I received with my 3010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blub-blub View Post

Hey guys anyone knows which calibration microphone came with the 3010 units?
The one I have is the acm1hb and I am afraid I might have put the wrong one to the trash :-)!

ntculenuf's Avatar ntculenuf 06:43 PM 05-13-2013
After a lazy day of watching movies for 7 hours straight at rather good volume I have decided to add an external fan system to my 3010. I know these run rather warm but mine was feeling pretty hot, so thought I would give it some extra air flow. I have decide on one of two components from Cool Components:
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Dual-Fan-Cooling-Unit_p_189.html
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Component-Cooling-System-_p_191.html

I will use the 88 degree temp controller with variable speed so that it is quiet and not running all the time.
Equipment:
TX-NR 3010 connected to Adcom GFA 7500 (internal amp of AVR not used)
The AVR is completely in the open and sits on top of my rack.

OK yes I am bored and thought I would tell the internet community my thoughts about heat on this AVR since it is a concern for the HDMI board.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 11:26 AM 05-14-2013
While it probably does not need the extra fan (though running it that long at high volumes is rather demanding on it), it is never a bad thing to add extra cooling to the AVR. Peace of mind is worth it alone. smile.gif
gurkey's Avatar gurkey 12:45 PM 05-14-2013
By experience from past model series you are well advised to always use a fan for the 3010/5010, especially when mounted inside a cabinet.
Just touch the casings surface at the back and feel the hot air escaping from the top there.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 10:31 AM 05-15-2013
While this year's models run MUCH cooler from previous years' models, gurkey's advisory about using an add on fan (especially if you put it in a cabinet where all modern AVRs slowly cook themselves to death) is a good idea. If you do put your AVR in an oven (aka, cabinet), put a fan on an outlet hole in the cabinet to suck out the hot air.
joerod's Avatar joerod 04:52 PM 05-24-2013
I have recently added a new 5010 with my two Parasound A51s. I am comparing sound this weekend. It's been awhile since I had an Onkyo in the rack. Damn the 5010 is much better than I remember!

eek.gifsmile.gif
ntculenuf's Avatar ntculenuf 09:57 PM 05-24-2013
Since adding a fan to the 3010 the internal fans never turn on. the receiver stays pretty cool compared to running it without the fan. I picked up cool components dual fan with the advanced LT controller.
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Advanced-LT-Controller--OnOff-Variable-Speed-_p_347.html

I have the dual fan sitting on top of the receiver in what feels like the warmest spot when the AVR is on (right side towards the rear). I have it pulling the air out and exhausting it to the side, I originally had the fan exhausting to the rear over the HDMI cables. After watching a movie I checked on the setup, way to much heat being exhausted over the HDMI side of things.
jwcole1224's Avatar jwcole1224 10:29 PM 05-24-2013
I have a 3010 and found it runs quite warm, mainly at the back of the receiver.

I use two Antec TrueQuiet -120 fans powered by a 7.5 volt wall wart, connected to a smart powerstrip.
The fans only turn on when the receiver is on and they are very quite at the lowest setting.

Fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209050
Powerstrip: http://www.lowes.com/pd_316995-66906-UTES5006_0__?productId=3426576&Ntt=surge+protectors

Funny thing, my 805 never ran that warm.

Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntculenuf View Post

Since adding a fan to the 3010 the internal fans never turn on. the receiver stays pretty cool compared to running it without the fan. I picked up cool components dual fan with the advanced LT controller.
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Advanced-LT-Controller--OnOff-Variable-Speed-_p_347.html

I have the dual fan sitting on top of the receiver in what feels like the warmest spot when the AVR is on (right side towards the rear). I have it pulling the air out and exhausting it to the side, I originally had the fan exhausting to the rear over the HDMI cables. After watching a movie I checked on the setup, way to much heat being exhausted over the HDMI side of things.

william06's Avatar william06 05:22 AM 05-25-2013
Hi joe glad to see u on this thread again still with my 3010 couldn't be happier. Look forward to your comparison.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 08:15 AM 05-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntculenuf View Post

Since adding a fan to the 3010 the internal fans never turn on.

Did the internal fans turn on before? Mine never did, even without a fan added to the top of the receiver.
ntculenuf's Avatar ntculenuf 11:58 AM 05-26-2013
Quote:

Did the internal fans turn on before? Mine never did, even without a fan added to the top of the receiver.

I only noticed the day that I had watched movies all day and had the AVR on for a solid 7 hours straight. The AVR was quite warm indeed. I noticed that the fans turn off with the AVR instead of staying on till it cools to a moderate temp. This is why I opted for the external fan. My receiver is not enclosed in a cabinet either, it is on the top shelf of my rack totally exposed.

The temp controller starts the fans at 88 degrees (stops at 85) at a low speed and hits full speed when temps reach 105. When I am watching a movie about 30 minutes in the fan is already running at full speed and doesn't slow down until about 20-30 minutes after I shut off the system. So it seems it runs pretty warm, normal operation temp according to Onkyo is 80 degrees above ambient temp (Internal fans kick on at 150 degrees). This puts operating temp in my house at 155-160. I don't work well when I am to hot, so the fan is a good peace of mind.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 12:44 PM 05-26-2013
Yep, whether an external fan is needed or not, I run one for the peace of mind it gives me. If it also helps increase the lifespan of the unit, even better. smile.gif I would rather have unneeded cooling than not having cooling that is needed.
SBuger's Avatar SBuger 03:21 AM 05-31-2013
Hello I have a few questions.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR5010 that has Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I'm currently only running it as a 5.1 with Polk RTi A series speakers and a Rythmic FV15HP subwoofer (80 hz crossover to sub on all speakers). I'm very pleased with the sound but am having a few problems with the Audyssey room correction. With Audyssey engaged (movie or music target curve), its cutting my lowest frequencies off. Frequencies like around 20 Hz and below. For example the ultra low frequencies in the Incredible Hulk (~ 16Hz --cop care smash scene, the hulk right before busting out of that enclosed walkway bridge and the pulses in chapter 10 among others throughout the film) are completely gone when I have Audyssey with the movie target curve on. If I turn Audyssey to off, then I get those low tones back. It seems like Audyssey is applying a filter or something to the subwoofer on the lowest frequencies during calibration (8 position).

So my first question is what do you think is causing this? My next question is can I run an external sub eq (SMS-1) and still use Dynamic EQ with Audyssey set to OFF without loosing the SMS-1 settings? I really like Dynamic EQ for the most part as I'm forced to listen at lower volumes sometimes and like the increased bass and surround response. What makes me question whether or not I'll be able to use Dynamic EQ, is when I use the internal manual EQ in the receiver, then the manual EQ settings are ignored (defaults back to Audyssey - MOVIE, MUSIC, or even OFF) when dynamic EQ is engaged. Does that make any since? That’s the best way I can describe it. Dynamic EQ can't be used unless the full room correction calibration is performed. I'm fine with using an sms-1 for sub eq as long as I can still use the Dynamic EQ feature while not totally bypassing the sms-1 settings. I'm hoping since sms-1 is external it would not do this. I would probably calibrate the sub with sms-1 before running Audyssey calibration. I'm really hoping someone can tell me if this will work or not before I purchase an sms-1. I realize that I would be forgoing room correction for all frequencies above 80 Hz with Audyssey turned off, but I'm ok with that as I feel like the highs are a little to edgy with room correction on (at least in movie mode) when cranked (~ -10 db or so on he receiver).

Thanks for your help. I posted this in the Official Audyssey thread as well.
joerod's Avatar joerod 09:09 AM 06-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Hi joe glad to see u on this thread again still with my 3010 couldn't be happier. Look forward to your comparison.

Thanks. smile.gif

The Marantz 8801 owners would be shocked to read this but for sports using Audyssey DSX the 5010 sounds better. It is much more in your face which really adds an impact to the game. No matter what I did on the 8801 I couldn't get it close to the same level. Now for movies the 8801 might have a slight edge in detail but as far as the cinema experience the 5010 is right there with it. Another area the 5010 is noticeably better is video processing. I had a couple others add their opinion and it matched mine. Obviously both of these units are amazing and using both as pre-pros (using two Parasound A51s) will yield the best results possible for any room.

smile.gif
william06's Avatar william06 01:47 PM 06-01-2013
Glad to hear. I am really just lovin it you know how I wanted to get the full 11.2 experience. Also I agree nothing I have used in the past beats the 09 and 10 onkos on video. I also went back to oppo with the 103 prior the Sony 790 which was also quite nice.
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 06:59 PM 06-04-2013
Quote:

I removed the drivel in your post, notice there is very little left. I have suddenly realized I am feeding the troll and will no longer feed you. Sorry, you will have to go elsewhere to claim that water is not wet and get a response.

LOL...I just read this...as I dont visit this thread often

But,like most you say...its without much , if any merit...and juvenile as well...not surprising when you use your assumptions to to prove your logic

hopefully you "feel" better with your announcement

Warren
joerod's Avatar joerod 12:00 PM 06-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Glad to hear. I am really just lovin it you know how I wanted to get the full 11.2 experience. Also I agree nothing I have used in the past beats the 09 and 10 onkos on video. I also went back to oppo with the 103 prior the Sony 790 which was also quite nice.

I am actually starting to work on a couple of newer Onkyo models. Love the Wifi feature. Anyway, yes, the 5010 is going to be tough for them to beat this year in performance. So far all the newer models announced don't have HQV (only Marvell) so if this holds for their 3010 and 5010 replacements then overall they still might be better...

eek.gif
Retro-Marus's Avatar Retro-Marus 04:46 AM 06-07-2013
Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago I got my new 3010 and it's a great machine. I do however have a problem that I was not able to solve or maybe I just don't understand the logic of the machine.

I am using a 7.1 speaker-setup with two back-surrounds. When I input a 5.1 DTS stream (doesn't matter if it's "classical" DTS or any of the HD-versions") the 3010 always uses all 7.1 speakers instead of only 5.1. The display says "DTS" which to me indicates that the machine is operating in "Straight"-mode but when I check the front-display (and the back-surrounds) it is obvious that there is some kind of upconverting taking place from 5.1-input-signal to 7.1-output.

To make things even stranger: The machine also did this with Dolby-signals for the first few days. Although I did not make any changes to any settings "Straight"-mode works since yesterday for Dolby (5.1 input is output as 5.1) but with DTS and also PCM (from my HD-DVD-player) 5.1 is always upconverted to 7.1.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Markus
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 06:43 AM 06-07-2013
First, did you go out to Onkyo's site, download the firmware update, and install it via the USB connection?

What all does it say on the front panel by the speaker display? For example, mine says DTS and Audyssey NEO:X. Then, under the input source label (which says TV/CD right now) it says Neo:X Cinema. If you are running Neo:X or PLIIx or PLIIz then you are telling the AVR to use all your speakers. There might be others that do it as well, but I know those do.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want the rear surrounds used?
Retro-Marus's Avatar Retro-Marus 10:31 AM 06-07-2013
Quote:

First, did you go out to Onkyo's site, download the firmware update, and install it via the USB connection?

Yep, latest Firmware from April is installed.

Quote:

What all does it say on the front panel by the speaker display? For example, mine says DTS and Audyssey NEO:X.

Only DTS, that's it. Only the Audyssey Room Correction light is on.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why don't you want the rear surrounds used?

Because I like to playback soundtracks the way they are recorded: 5.1 in 5.1 and 7.1 in 7.1. It's like back in the times when the first widescreen TV-sets came up. I only watched widescreen-footage in widescreen. Fullscreen-footage I did not zoom up to fill the whole screen and watched it with the black bars left and right instead.

Settings in my BD-player are also fine. They worked flawlessly with the last three AVRs I had in the last two years, so that's also not a problem-source.

Thanks,
Markus
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 11:38 AM 06-07-2013
What happens when you set the 3010 in Direct/Pure mode? I know this kills Audyssey, but curious if it stops the use of the other speakers.
Retro-Marus's Avatar Retro-Marus 01:15 PM 06-07-2013
Yes, in Direct/Pure Direct only 5.1 speaker are active but as you noted correctly Audyssey will also be disabled and I would like to use it.

BTW: You have a very nice theater smile.gif Check out mine if you like: http://www.bluray-disc.de/blulife/heimkino/retro-markus

Sorry, it's in German, you have to click the "Bilder"-tab.

Cheers,
Markus
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 10:18 PM 06-07-2013
Ich spreche Deutche schlecht. smile.gif I had a great German teacher in High School...she came to the US after WW2. Star Wars!!! LOVE IT!!!!! I had a subscription to Bantha Tracks when I was a kid.

I have reached the end of my ability to help you with your problem...I am sorry. Sounds like you are doing everything correctly.
sl1ac's Avatar sl1ac 08:53 PM 06-08-2013
After fiddling with my Onkyo, for some reason DTS automatically applies the ES matrix extension for 5.1 playback when you have a 7.1 setup. Aside from using Direct/Pure, the only way I could defeat this was to go in the speaker menu and set the back surrounds to "None". This will allow you to at least use Audyssey.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 02:37 AM 06-09-2013
DTS-HD Master Audio Essential decoders force the use of all channels in 7.1 systems. And, to the best of my knowledge, the expansion is done by simply duplicating the surrounds to the rears rather than employing ES matrix processing. The only way to prevent it without disabling all digital processing is to configure your system as 5.1 when listening to 5.1 dts-MA soundtracks. Or, if your player has a fully functional DTS-HD decoder, you can have it do the decoding and send the resulting PCM to your Onkyo. That seems like an easier approach.
Retro-Marus's Avatar Retro-Marus 04:16 AM 06-09-2013
Thanks a lot to everyone.

I just took a look at the DTS-website where they say

"Why does my receiver output 7.1 though my blu-ray is encoded in 5.1/6.1 etc.?

This is probaly due to "speaker remapping". Basically, if the AVR provides a 7.1 speaker output and has a DTS-HD decoder, the decoder itself converts the input audio for 7.1 output as necessary. (This is NOT done by Neo:6 or Dolby PLIIz.)"

Ok, so that's it. Strange thing that I never experiences this behavior with any of my previous AVRs (Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz).

Thanks again and best regards,
Markus
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop