AVS Forum banner

The TX-NR3010 / 5010 Owner's thread

104K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  Luis Gabriel Gerena 
#1 ·
#952 ·
On the Onkyo NR*010 AV receivers, how do you select the FM radio station when using the separate zone 2 tuner? So far all I can figure out how to do is change volume, and turn zone 2 on, off, and select source.

#953 ·
Using an external speaker selector box would yield incorrect Audyssey processing on the 'B' speaker pair. Wrong levels, crossovers, etc. It may work sorta okay if you'd be using the front 'B' speakers solely for 2-channel use (i.e. without using the shared center and surround speakers, or subwoofer), if the needed EQ corrections are similar between the two front speaker pairs. Otherwise the results are likely to be poor.

#954 ·

newly arrived from OneCall.

#955 ·
Just wondering if anyone with the 5010 is running a 4K display yet and if they have tried to send a 4k signal through the receiver. I am having trouble finding info on it and am considering a 4k display and just curious if the signals will pass or if I will be upgrading my receiver as well

#956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/930#post_23526169

Just wondering if anyone with the 5010 is running a 4K display yet and if they have tried to send a 4k signal through the receiver. I am having trouble finding info on it and am considering a 4k display and just curious if the signals will pass or if I will be upgrading my receiver as well
The 5010 does not support 4K pass through, only 4K upscaling, which means output only. Full 4K support will likely be in this years models.

#957 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/930#post_23519885

On the Onkyo NR*010 AV receivers, how do you select the FM radio station when using the separate zone 2 tuner? So far all I can figure out how to do is change volume, and turn zone 2 on, off, and select source.
I haven't had to do this, but don't the up/down direction keys work? You need to be in Tuner mode, and you might have to press Zone 2 first. If you have presets, then the channel up and down keys (next to the volume controls) will tune to those.

#958 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/930#post_23526197

The 5010 does not support 4K pass through, only 4K upscaling, which means output only. Full 4K support will likely be in this years models.

Full 4K support is not possible until HDMI 2.0 comes out. The 4K that is currently available is a gimped version - it is very limited in what frequencies it supports due to HDMI 1.4 not having enough bandwidth. It will be awhile yet until we see HDMI 2.0 and true 4K support.

#959 ·
Got it figured out. To change radio preset stations in zone two, you have to press the zone2 button, then immediately press the direction wheel left or right. repeat this process for each station change.

#960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/930#post_23526700

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/930#post_23526197

Full 4K support is not possible until HDMI 2.0 comes out. The 4K that is currently available is a gimped version - it is very limited in what frequencies it supports due to HDMI 1.4 not having enough bandwidth. It will be awhile yet until we see HDMI 2.0 and true 4K support.
The evaluation chipsets are out there for full 4K support. With the hardware in place, it's only a matter of bringing the firmware up to speed, not that that's trivial. HDMI 2.0 was scheduled to be released last month, it's been delayed, but there's enough details for the manufacturers to include many of the features if they choose to do so, even if it's as basic as just a pass through. HDMI 2.0 adds 4K at 60 fps, but 4K at 24 fps (which you call gimped) already exists for 1.4a.

#961 ·
Agreed, but you said it yourself - hardware is required. No one has hardware out there yet that can actually do full 4K due to no hardware being out there to do HDMI 2.0. Buying now and expecting to be future proofed for full 4K is an exercise in failure. And yes, if a chipset can only do partial 4K (such as only at 25Hz or slower), then it is gimped.

#962 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23529208

Agreed, but you said it yourself - hardware is required. No one has hardware out there yet that can actually do full 4K due to no hardware being out there to do HDMI 2.0. Buying now and expecting to be future proofed for full 4K is an exercise in failure. And yes, if a chipset can only do partial 4K (such as only at 25Hz or slower), then it is gimped.
Since I told the OP that it's likely this year's models would have full 4K support, and those haven't been announced yet, I guess you agree with me that it's possible, since in case you didn't realize, they will have new hardware.

#963 ·
HDMI 2.0 has yet to be approved - unless they wait until then to even start producing hardware they will not have HDMI 2.0 on them and therefor be unable to support full 4K. Unless you know some super secret information from the HDMI consortium, it appears it will not be happening in time for the next released models. As of right now, the HDMI consortium says they will release HDMI 2.0 sometime in the past - as in the first half of 2013...call me a pessimist, but I do not think they can release things in the past...

I would recommend anyone wanting to get 4K support to wait until there actually is full 4K support, otherwise they will be unhappy.

#964 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23531475

HDMI 2.0 has yet to be approved - unless they wait until then to even start producing hardware they will not have HDMI 2.0 on them and therefor be unable to support full 4K. Unless you know some super secret information from the HDMI consortium, it appears it will not be happening in time for the next released models. As of right now, the HDMI consortium says they will release HDMI 2.0 sometime in the past - as in the first half of 2013...call me a pessimist, but I do not think they can release things in the past...
Now you're just repeating what I already said. I am an insider, but that also means I'm bound by several NDAs, and I'm going to leave it at that.

#965 ·
I'm certainly not going to disbelieve what B Dave is saying. We knew quite a bit about the 30/5010 last JUNE. It's now the middle of July so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the extended wait could mean good things. Crikey, Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and others have already flashed their wares.

And will one of those good things be the ability to FINALLY play back digital inputs to the zones?! I recall seeing a thread on the Onkyo site were admins seemed to be taking seriously the comments and suggestions of posters and that popped up twice.

11.2 + NEO X + digital zones + HDMI 2.0 = Automatic buyer, here.

James

#966 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23531510

Now you're just repeating what I already said. I am an insider, but that also means I'm bound by several NDAs, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Not really, you are saying the silicon already exists and is being manufactured and put into AVRs right now so the product can be put on the shelves in the next 5 months - and that this silicon is being kept super secret from everyone searching for it even though many companies are building equipment with it inside right now. I am not saying anything like that. Also, anyone can say anything then claim they cannot actually give any details and then say we have to trust them. I know what Prince William is going to have for lunch tomorrow - but I cannot say what it is or how I know...but trust me that I know what it is because I am a Royal Family insider. You believe me because I, an anonymous person on the Internet, told you I know, right?

Until an agreement is made on what actually comprises HDMI 2.0, there can be no silicon based on it. No silicon means no AVRs built with HDMI 2.0 in them. No AVRs build with HDMI 2.0 in them means no purchasing of AVRs with HDMI 2.0 I them.

#968 ·
contact onkyo tech support?

#969 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23535086

Not really, you are saying the silicon already exists and is being manufactured and put into AVRs right now so the product can be put on the shelves in the next 5 months - and that this silicon is being kept super secret from everyone searching for it even though many companies are building equipment with it inside right now. I am not saying anything like that. Also, anyone can say anything then claim they cannot actually give any details and then say we have to trust them. I know what Prince William is going to have for lunch tomorrow - but I cannot say what it is or how I know...but trust me that I know what it is because I am a Royal Family insider. You believe me because I, an anonymous person on the Internet, told you I know, right?

Until an agreement is made on what actually comprises HDMI 2.0, there can be no silicon based on it. No silicon means no AVRs built with HDMI 2.0 in them. No AVRs build with HDMI 2.0 in them means no purchasing of AVRs with HDMI 2.0 I them.

What is he contending that contradicts much of what you asserted? Also, I really seriously doubt anyone is "searching" for hdmi 2.0 components.

Seems to me he's basically saying Onkyo is:

1. Waiting for the HDMI 2.0 spec to be finalized.

2. Will produce/implement the hardware when ready...hence the delay in announcement of their hi-end avrs in 2013.

I also think there's fair chance they could have some hardware in place that may nearly fully implement the spec, anyway. This isn't uncommon, straightaway, and Onkyo's upper-crust avrs always seem to push the bleeding-edge of virtually any tech you can put in an AVR.

I guess I don't understand why you'd spend much energy trying to "out" this guy. I don't think he's really proclaiming anything too radical...and it will all almost certainly be be bore out one way or another in the next few weeks anyway.

James

#970 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23551748

What is he contending that contradicts much of what you asserted? Also, I really seriously doubt anyone is "searching" for hdmi 2.0 components.

Seems to me he's basically saying Onkyo is:

1. Waiting for the HDMI 2.0 spec to be finalized.

2. Will produce/implement the hardware when ready...hence the delay in announcement of their hi-end avrs in 2013.

I also think there's fair chance they could have some hardware in place that may nearly fully implement the spec, anyway. This isn't uncommon, straightaway, and Onkyo's upper-crust avrs always seem to push the bleeding-edge of virtually any tech you can put in an AVR.

I guess I don't understand why you'd spend much energy trying to "out" this guy. I don't think he's really proclaiming anything too radical...and it will all almost certainly be be bore out one way or another in the next few weeks anyway.

James

He initially claimed you will be able to buy HDMI 2.0 AVR gear this year. Then he claimed there are evaluation chips out there for a non-existent specification. Then he claims you will be able to buy HDMI 2.0 AVR gear this year. Then he claims to be some insider who knows there are thousands of HDMI 2.0 chips already produced and currently being placed into AVRs so they can be boxed up and shipped to consumers in the next 5 months but cannot give us any actual info on this chips since he is an HDMI consortium agent bound to secrecy about all these chips. I started by saying they will not appear, but when he doubled down and then make claims he is part of the super secret team keeping the large supply of these chips hidden from view I scoffed at it. Without an actual spec there can be no chips built to the spec. Claiming there are already lots and lots of them built without a spec to build them to is silly.

The posts in question.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/930#post_23529036

The evaluation chipsets are out there for full 4K support. With the hardware in place, it's only a matter of bringing the firmware up to speed, not that that's trivial. HDMI 2.0 was scheduled to be released last month, it's been delayed, but there's enough details for the manufacturers to include many of the features if they choose to do so, even if it's as basic as just a pass through. HDMI 2.0 adds 4K at 60 fps, but 4K at 24 fps (which you call gimped) already exists for 1.4a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23531284

Since I told the OP that it's likely this year's models would have full 4K support, and those haven't been announced yet, I guess you agree with me that it's possible, since in case you didn't realize, they will have new hardware.

The spec is already overdue by a bit - I do not expect it to be released in time for initial silicon to be made, tested, approved, then new AVR designed to be made, tested, approved, and put into production for consumer purchase in the next 5 months. That is a huge undertaking.

#971 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23552151

He initially claimed you will be able to buy HDMI 2.0 AVR gear this year. Then he claimed there are evaluation chips out there for a non-existent specification. Then he claims you will be able to buy HDMI 2.0 AVR gear this year. Then he claims to be some insider who knows there are thousands of HDMI 2.0 chips already produced and currently being placed into AVRs so they can be boxed up and shipped to consumers in the next 5 months but cannot give us any actual info on this chips since he is an HDMI consortium agent bound to secrecy about all these chips. I started by saying they will not appear, but when he doubled down and then make claims he is part of the super secret team keeping the large supply of these chips hidden from view I scoffed at it. Without an actual spec there can be no chips built to the spec. Claiming there are already lots and lots of them built without a spec to build them to is silly.

The posts in question.

The spec is already overdue by a bit - I do not expect it to be released in time for initial silicon to be made, tested, approved, then new AVR designed to be made, tested, approved, and put into production for consumer purchase in the next 5 months. That is a huge undertaking.

Ummmm, yeah, I (and others, I'm assuming) are aware of the claims you just took quite a bit of time and enrgy re-listing.
None of them really strike me as particularly fantastic, and really, with some of them, very much plausible.

You seem to be bizarrely obsessed with him revealing his identity and or "place" within his industry- long after he made it quite clear that both are barred from being compromised. This also is nothing new and a reality of thousands of industries.

If you truly believe that a spec has to be "finalized" or available for public consumption before manu's are able to produce chips utilizing all or part of it you are sorely mistaken and apparently ignorant as to the history of a multitude of technologies- including the very one in question, here.

choose not to believe him, fine. But continuing to refute the same items over and over again looks like madness. He's not going to tell you who he is. He's not going to tell you who he works for. Let the next 5 months answer the balance.

James

#972 ·
So, my 1007 gave up the ghost this week and I have a 3010 on the way to replace it. Currently, I'm running a SVS 20-39CS+ and a Buttkicker LFE off a Crown XLS-1500 in stereo mode with Sub out 1 and 2 feeding the pair. With the 1007, I've been running Audyssey with the Buttkicker side of the Crown turned all the way down, then after Audyssey, I change number of subs to 2 and use the channel trims to adjust the Buttkicker from the seats. Will this same method work with the 3010 or do I need to feed both sides of the Crown the same subwoofer output and tweak using the gain knobs instead?

Also, I'm running an ART-351 EQ on the SVS side only as a subsonic filter. With past iterations of Audyssey, I know there has been a tendency to boost below 20Hz, so I have been disabling the subsonic filter when I run through Audyssey, then turning it back to 18Hz afterwards. Does the 3010 still have that tendency or should I leave the subsonic filter in place when I calibrate?

Also also, general question: With the 1007, a solid run-through of Audyssey XT takes 30 minutes at best. Is XT32 on the 3010 about the same as far as time, or is it a faster process now?

#973 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23552259

Ummmm, yeah, I (and others, I'm assuming) are aware of the claims you just took quite a bit of time and enrgy re-listing.
None of them really strike me as particularly fantastic, and really, with some of them, very much plausible.

So you think you will be able to buy an AVR, based on a version of HDMI that has yet to even be approved, in the next 5 months? Really?
Quote:
You seem to be bizarrely obsessed with him revealing his identity and or "place" within his industry- long after he made it quite clear that both are barred from being compromised. This also is nothing new and a reality of thousands of industries.

HE brought it up. If HE did not want it talked about, HE should not have mentioned it. You are complaining to the wrong person...complain to the guy who essentially said "You must believe me because I am claiming something on the Internet that I refuse to support", not the one who laughed at him for expecting anyone to believe him.
Quote:
If you truly believe that a spec has to be "finalized" or available for public consumption before manu's are able to produce chips utilizing all or part of it you are sorely mistaken and apparently ignorant as to the history of a multitude of technologies- including the very one in question, here.

Of course companies can release non-compliant chips if they wish...many have done it in the past. None of the non-compliant chips can claim to be compliant, though. 802.11n as a prime example. HDMI 2.0 is rapidly approaching a year late (originally was to be released in second half 2012). As a manufacturer, would you bet your next AVR on an unreleased, and still being updated, spec?

Quote:
choose not to believe him, fine. But continuing to refute the same items over and over again looks like madness. He's not going to tell you who he is. He's not going to tell you who he works for. Let the next 5 months answer the balance.

James

You appear to be obsessed with telling me what I can and cannot post. Your own advice, you should take it. Expecting others to do as you say when you are not doing it is quite silly. BTW, I work closely with the Royal Family and know a lot of stuff that is about to happen but is being hidden, yet I cannot tell you any of it and you better not ever mention that I said such a thing in public. You believe me, right? Right?

#974 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23552423

So, my 1007 gave up the ghost this week and I have a 3010 on the way to replace it. Currently, I'm running a SVS 20-39CS+ and a Buttkicker LFE off a Crown XLS-1500 in stereo mode with Sub out 1 and 2 feeding the pair. With the 1007, I've been running Audyssey with the Buttkicker side of the Crown turned all the way down, then after Audyssey, I change number of subs to 2 and use the channel trims to adjust the Buttkicker from the seats. Will this same method work with the 3010 or do I need to feed both sides of the Crown the same subwoofer output and tweak using the gain knobs instead?

It should work the same, or you can just unplug the buttkicker from the back of the 1500 so it does nothing.
Quote:
Also, I'm running an ART-351 EQ on the SVS side only as a subsonic filter. With past iterations of Audyssey, I know there has been a tendency to boost below 20Hz, so I have been disabling the subsonic filter when I run through Audyssey, then turning it back to 18Hz afterwards. Does the 3010 still have that tendency or should I leave the subsonic filter in place when I calibrate?

No idea.
Quote:
Also also, general question: With the 1007, a solid run-through of Audyssey XT takes 30 minutes at best. Is XT32 on the 3010 about the same as far as time, or is it a faster process now?

It took me about 15 minutes to run through all the positions and have it calculate the results. I suspect it will be about the same for you.

#975 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/960#post_23552745

It took me about 15 minutes to run through all the positions and have it calculate the results. I suspect it will be about the same for you.
How many channels were you running? I'm going to be running 9.1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.