AVS Forum banner

The TX-NR3010 / 5010 Owner's thread

104K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  Luis Gabriel Gerena 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This site says it will have 11 channels of amplification. They have a photo of the receiver but I think it is a photo-shopped 3009, it is virtually identical to this pic of the 3009:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/images/uploads/Onkyo-tx-nr3009-black-front.jpg

Except it has the 3010 model number and some small text (10?) between the AUX and TUNER labels.

So I think skepticism is warranted until Onkyo makes their announcement.

#7 ·
#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info#post_22171634

I see it still has only nine channels of amplification and now 11.x support. Good...well, it better allow for full 11.x output (with preouts) this time!

From the picture of the back there are 11 channel preouts. The 5008/5009 only had 9 channel preouts with the wides/heights combined on one set of preouts. It just cracks me up it will support 4 subs. I know how much bass I get with just one Rythmik FV15HP. Now, how to tell my wife I need to upgrade my 5008. I would actually use the 11 channels lol.

#11 ·

I've been aching for an Onkyo 11.x with dts neo and finally time to upgrade from my venerable 805. I use the avr as a prepro for the main channels and the onboard amps for the +7 speakers.

I'll need slimmer speakers for my wides so I was considering Def Tech Mythos 2 for the wides and Mythos 6 for the heights at about 45 degrees from seated postion and bracketed to directly face seated position.  I have a shelf mount pj and can't have the ceiling speaker too wide to limit blocking the pj, ceiling is only 7'10".  Any criticism on using the mentioned speakers for this duty? The prices for these online seem reasonable, especially the refurbished ones.  I have Onix Rockets as my main system which no longer is in business and never made slim speakers anyhow.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info/0_100#post_22182841

I've been aching for an Onkyo 11.x with dts neo and finally time to upgrade from my venerable 805. I use the avr as a prepro for the main channels and the onboard amps for the +7 speakers.

I'll need slimmer speakers for my wides so I was considering Def Tech Mythos 2 for the wides and Mythos 6 for the heights at about 45 degrees from seated postion and bracketed to directly face seated position.  I have a shelf mount pj and can't have the ceiling speaker too wide to limit blocking the pj, ceiling is only 7'10".  Any criticism on using the mentioned speakers for this duty? The prices for these online seem reasonable, especially the refurbished ones.  I have Onix Rockets as my main system which no longer is in business and never made slim speakers anyhow.
I didn't intend to hijack this thread to speaker discussion, but more discussion with use of all 11 channels.

#13 ·
I have been saving up for the 5009 for a while now and hoping for a price drop in Australia when the 5010 got announced.

I don't seem to have any negotiating power even though the 5009 model has been superseded so I am looking at around $3400AU for it, not a bad price but not great either.

The RRP for the 5010 is $6000AU (same as 5009) so now I need to decide if the 5010 is worth it given my 9.1 setup:

- Fronts - Mirage OMD-5 Floor standing

- Centre - Mirage OMD-C1

- Height, Left, Right & Rear Surrounds - Mirage OMD-5 Bookshelf

- Sub - SVS PB13-Ultra‏

- Amp - Sony STR-DA5300ES 7.1 amp so the heights aren't being driven and it is only rated at 120W per channel

- Playback devices - HTPC, XBOX360, SqueezeBox Touch

I have no plans to upgrade to 11.1 as I really don't want to pull apart my ceiling to run more speaker wires and I am sure I will have a hard time finding another pair of OMD-5 bookshelf speakers in piano black.

So my reasons for wanting this amp are:

- Power!!! - I have read that the Mirage speakers aren't very efficient

- Audyssey MultEQ® XT32

- HDMI 1.4 so that I can watch 3D movies

- I have fallen out of love with Sony and am looking forward to getting rid of the last piece of Sony equipment in my house

I can't see anything that stands out in the 5010 that is worth my while:
- Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology

I read about this a while back, from memory you get a small window displaying what is on that input. I am never going to use this as I only use two video inputs - HTPC and XBOX360
- Zone 2 HDMI Output for HD Video in a Second Room

I don't have a second room to output to
- Digital Crossover Processing Network to Cancel Crossover Interference

This is an interesting one given that none of the specifications for distortion change between models. Could be marketing fluff.
- Internet Radio now supports "MP3tunes"

I use my SqueezeBox for internet radio
- MHL™ (Mobile High-Definition Link) for Smart Phone Content on HDTV

Don't care
- 11.4 Multichannel Pre-Outs

Don't care
- Zone 2 Video Output (Composite)

I would have thought that the 5009 could do this but it isn't explicitly stated in the specs
- Isolated Power-Amp and Pre-Amp Block

Sounds good but I doubt it is worth $2000+ dollars
- Discrete Output Stage Circuitry

Sounds good but I doubt it is worth $2000+ dollars
- Differential DAC Mode to Double Processing Power for up to 5.1 Channels

9.1 channels for me so don't care

As you can see I have pretty much already convinced myself that I am getting the 5009 but if someone can see any reason for me to continue saving for the 5010 I would greatly appreciate their advice.

#16 ·
The 1010,3010 & 5010 supposedly have a true 2nd hmdi zone whereas the *009 models have a "sub" hdmi out which is just a clone of the "main" hdmi out. The Onkyo literature states that you can watch two different sources at the same time, but I am yet to belive until I see it.

Also to note is that only the 5010 has Subeq HT (this is the ability to indipendantly eq two subwoofers). I confirmed with Chris from Audeysee. I presume that the 1010,3010 has just a y splitter, much like the 5010 has two y splitters for sub1 and sub2.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket23  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info#post_22186694

The 1010,3010 & 5010 supposedly have a true 2nd hmdi zone whereas the *009 models have a "sub" hdmi out which is just a clone of the "main" hdmi out. The Onkyo literature states that you can watch two different sources at the same time, but I am yet to belive until I see it.

Also to note is that only the 5010 has Subeq HT (this is the ability to indipendantly eq two subwoofers). I confirmed with Chris from Audeysee. I presume that the 1010,3010 has just a y splitter, much like the 5010 has two y splitters for sub1 and sub2.

The 3009 has subeq so i would assume that the 3010 would also have it. I speculate that the 1010 has it too.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info#post_22186670

I would say you would be fine with the 3009.
Wow - thanks. I didn't think their lower end receivers did 9.1. It does fit my requirements except I really like the fact that the 5009 has a toroidal transformer.

From what others have posted toroidal transformers has many advantages over a conventional transformer. The $500AU price difference is a lot to pay for this feature though.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket23  /t/1416914/tx-nr3010-5010-info#post_22188668

Both the 1010 & 3010 do not have SubEQ HT. This is from Chriss from Audeysee himself. It looks to be one of the cost cutting feature of this years models. None of the litature from Onkyo state that the 3010 & 1010 have Subeq HT, which is why I went straight to Audeysee to find out.

First off it is AUDYSSEY
. Do you have a link to Chris' comments that the 1010 and the 3010 do not have SubEQ? I just find it hard to believe that the 3010 at $2299 will not have SubEQ. I can see the 1010 at $1799 not having it but I still think both of these AVRs should have SubEQ.

Bill

#23 ·
Looking at the rear panel of the 3010 it has four sub outputs (SW1 x 2 and SW2 x 2) as does the 5010. The 1010 only shows two sub outputs. So my guess is the 3010 will have SubEQ as it has four sub outputs as does the 5010.

Bill

#24 ·
The integra 50.4 has sub eq which is the cousin to the 1010. Go to integras site?

What i don't get is why the dbs 50.3 (bluray player) has 7 channel multi out yet none of the new receivers are doing multi channel inputs? Seems weird?

Joe Rod when you review the 3010 can you comment on whether 7 channel analog is something worthwhile or is hdmi the way to go? Otherwise i agree with some of the others that see the 3010 as a downgrade compared to the 3009.

I am sure the new Denon 4520 has multichannel out. Due in September.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.