can a denon AVR-891 run a CM9's ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a denon AVR-891 and I am thinking about upgrading my old B&W CDM1's to CM9's . This will be in a music / home theater set up with a CM center 2 and 2 DS3's for rears

I have a feeling the Denon wont be enough but the speakers are already maxing out my budget. What are my options ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
At certain levels you will be ok but don't expect to be able to crank them really loud, especially without a sub. Those CM9s have some impedance dips down to 3 ohms that a lot of receiver will have a hard time standing up to at high volumes. Also the 891 has no preamp outputs so you would have to get a different receiver to add an amp. I think I would look at adding a second sub and keep the smaller CMs unless you find some more room in the budget for a receiver/amp upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I like b&w, but compared to other brands that sound good for less, b&w is a little over priced. You don;t want the receiver to go into protection mode with the dipping that mjpierce is talking about at high volumes. I don't think the upgrade is worth it.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Friend of mine suggested the 4311ci. I am pretty sure the 891 does 130w into two channels . Will there really be that big of a difference between that and the 170w the 4311 does ?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarks View Post

Friend of mine suggested the 4311ci. I am pretty sure the 891 does 130w into two channels . Will there really be that big of a difference between that and the 170w the 4311 does ?

In practice, it wouldn't matter, since the difference between 130WPC and 170WPC is negligible (just a tad over 1 dB perceived volume difference, which is basically inaudible).

I know that the CM7s have a 5dB or so dip (right in the mids, if I remember), which is kind of large and it may be audible. Not sure the CM9s have a similar dip, but even if they did, power by itself wouldn't do much for it -- room correction may be able to compensate for it.

Either way, these are rather sensitive speakers (I doubt the momentary impedance dips would matter much in daily use) and in an average room you are unlikely to play it so loud as to experience any issues:

With speakers of 89dB sensitivity you need 100WPC to achieve just over 102dB SPL at 10 feet.

Even an hour of this sound level a day will cause irreversible hearing damage rather soon, which I suppose would mean that you'll then be looking either for a much more powerful amplification, or for a hearing aid. smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarks View Post

The 4311CI is designed to run 4-ohm speakers at reference level (0db) volume whereas the 891 is not, so at reference level listening the 891 is more likely to shut down in protection mode. As mjpearce suggested, if you only listen at average volume levels (eg. -20db), then the 891 shouldn't have any issues.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 891 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page