Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Last time I bug you guys!

I'm replacing an AVR that died and am purchasing another to use as a pre amp to my Adcom GFA6000. I'm driving B&W Matrix 805's.

The refurb Marantz SR6006 through Accessories 4less is $150 more than the refurb Denon 3312ci, and the Marantz comes with a couple HDMI cables too. It has a phono input, not sure if the Denon does.

They both seem to be quality units and might be used alone later in a basement system if I go to an actual pre amp in the future.

Marantz has a 2 year warranty, Denon has 1. I get an extra year by using AMEX in both cases.

Some reviews I have read seem to favor the Marantz, mentioning it as a true bridge to an "audiophile sounding" reciever.

How about it, is the Marantz worth the extra cash in your esteemed opinions?

Thanks!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
truth is they are basically the same thing, all current Marantz models are essentially rebadged Denons. Marantz and Denon are both owned by the same company (D&M Holdings)... there used to be more product differentiation but for the past few years the Marantz models have just been re-skinned Denons, presumably to save cost on the supply side. Marantz still customizes a bit (slightly different back panel input/output options, possibly some different component stuff on the analog side) but it's essentially the same thing. They even have the exact same GUI interface.

The 3312ci does have a PHONO input as well (you can check this yourself pretty easily by going to the product page and simply looking at the photo of the back panel). The SR6006 has 7.1ch analog multich inputs and dedicated FRONTB speaker posts, whereas the 3312ci doesn't have a "FrontB" post but it does have speaker posts for DSX speakers (F.Height + F.Wide). They both have the same featureset otherwise (MultEQ XT + Dyn EQ/VOl + DSX) although the 3312ci is spec'd as having more powerful amps.

Compare the photos of the back panel and note the striking similarity in the layout -- note the IDENTICAL location of speaker posts, HDMI inputs, component video inputs, digital audio inputs, ethernet port, RS-232 port, trigger outputs, pre-outs, etc.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
If you are talking about the Home Theater Mag reviews then I would check out this thread I started a while back. Like Batpig said, internally they are identical and I even have picture of the insides of both receivers in the thread below.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412790/bias-from-home-theater-magazine-reviews
post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

By the way, to the person who mentioned the Onkyos in that class were better:

On a recent visit to a high end store, the owner told me they have received more Integras back in the last two year than they have ever received back on any other brand.

The salesperson at Accessories 4less also said the Onkyos they sell, new and refurb, have been coming back at a higher percentage than any other brand they carry.

Just thought I'd pass it along.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The only receiver that even comes close to "audiophile quality" is the Cambridge 650R. The rest, even some that cost $3000 or more, have inadequate power supplies for peak demands and cheaply designed amplifier circuits that sound like crap to me.

The 650R has a 1400-WATT power supply; try to find another one that has HALF of that! 99% of them have 600 watts or less, no matter how much BS power they try to claim. The 650R puts out 100 watts of RMS power to all 7 channels with all 7 channels driven. No other receiver does that.

You can also bi-amp it and have 200 watts per channel for the front two channels if you run 5.1.

Check out the Home Theater magazine review, which also says this is the best-sounding receiver you can buy. Buy one. The amplifiers in it may sound better than the Adcom.

A decent phono preamp is not found as a "built-in" feature on any receiver! They are $15 add-ons that sound crummy.

Spend $150 on the Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp and the phono sound will be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnsfan View Post

Hi,
Last time I bug you guys!
I'm replacing an AVR that died and am purchasing another to use as a pre amp to my Adcom GFA6000. I'm driving B&W Matrix 805's.
The refurb Marantz SR6006 through Accessories 4less is $150 more than the refurb Denon 3312ci, and the Marantz comes with a couple HDMI cables too. It has a phono input, not sure if the Denon does.
They both seem to be quality units and might be used alone later in a basement system if I go to an actual pre amp in the future.
Marantz has a 2 year warranty, Denon has 1. I get an extra year by using AMEX in both cases.
Some reviews I have read seem to favor the Marantz, mentioning it as a true bridge to an "audiophile sounding" reciever.
How about it, is the Marantz worth the extra cash in your esteemed opinions?
Thanks!
Joe
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

As I mentioned, I intend to use this as a pre-amp for awhile. If I ever use the amp, it would be in an older basement system where it will probably be adequate.

The basement is the old age home for gear in my house.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page