Sony STR-DH receiver popping sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting a popping or clicking sound from my speakers every time the STR-DH820 receiver sound mode changes (from DD to LPCM or DTS, etc). What is the cause and anyway to minimize this? It is most noticeable when a DVD sound output changes from DD 2.0 to 5.1 etc. during future movie trailers or from cable box sound output changes from DD 2.0 to 5.1 when changing channels or commercials. All components are connected thru HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM

I have the same issue as well using the STR-DN1020. Spoke to a Sony tech regarding the issue during a chat session and they gave a few recommendations regarding the speaker wires and connections. However, the only thing that worked was clearing the system and returning the receiver to the factory settings. In order to do that you have to turn off the receiver and hold the power button for 5 seconds. The display should then read "cleared!". The popping sound is now gone, but it returns if I repeat the auto calibration. So now I am faced with the dilemma of repeating the calibration or leaving the factory settings as is which does not give optimum sound quality. I might just have to get another receiver in the long run.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mathias19, sounds like autocal may be the culprit and I haven't tried the reset yet. I did notice that I had two of my HDMI cables running over power cables and I moved them and the popping sound is a lot more faint. I'm also having another issue where when I power on the receiver there is no sound (as if it's on mute) and I have to power "off" and then back "on" and all sounds fine - this is intermittent and has only happened about five times in the past three months. Have you or anyone else had this issue?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Hi mathias19 and ergojm, I was wondering if the two of you ever figured out what was causing the popping sound. I also have the Sony STR-DH820 and having the same problem. I've tried resetting the receiver to the factory setting, and set up the speakers manually, but this didn't work. I did however notice that the pop doesn't occur when it's set to 2 Channel, but when it's in a surround mode it starts again. Also it seems to radomly come from the side and rear surround speakers, not know which speaker it will come from next. I've also redone all of the wire connections going in the receiver, and still there...just like an annoying itch that you can't reach to scratch.

As for the no sound problem, I haven't experienced that...yet.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I've learned to live with it by muting until the movie or program starts. I've tried all the things that you tried as well but to no avail. Sound professionals have told me that its HDMI related. I still get frustrated with it though!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM

I've been hoping to find a solution, but oh well I guess. I've been keeping it muted until the movie/game loads up also, which works. What really bothers me is when the audio breaks during a movie, with the volume up, and you get a nice loud pop. It doesn't happen on every movie, but it has happened quite a few times, and I really don't want that to damage the speakers. I'll have to try it, but I have my cable box connected via optical, and I don't recall it poping when watching a show in surround, which was a while ago. So the hdmi issue may be correct.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 11
I got one of these back in december and wanted to give you my input. I bought this unit used and the settings were semi erased to start the calibration over. I did the initial calibration and I started having the popping sound in my back left speaker within a couple of days. I looked through the manual and did a complete factory reset. I did the calibration and so far it has had no problems. hope this helps.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm reluctant to reset because I've done a lot of tweaks to get the sound optimized but, I'll give it a try. Did you use the mic to calibrate?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Liked: 11
Yes I did. I did do some tweeks after but all is still good.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page