Apple TV & Denon AVR-1612 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a denon avr-1612. I have everything hooked up through HDMI wires. I have an xbox, xable box, & apple tv hooked up to the system & 1 hdmi out running to a samsung tv. I am experience times, maybe every hour or more when the apple tv is running, showing movies or streaming music that the receiver stops the audio & picture for a few seconds & comes back on. I have had the apple tv replaced, still the same issue. I have messed with the settings & tried it on PCM instead of auto & the same thing happens. The cable box & xbox do not cut out. I'm thinking its either the receiver or something that the receiver is trying to decode that isn't working properly coming across streaming netflix from the apple tv. Any help is appreciated.

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 1748
Try the other HDMI inputs to see if one behaves differently from the one you're currently using for the ATV.

Also note, there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

I tried that. The other HDMI in works fine with my XBOX or Cable Box. I tried messing with the apple tv settings. I guess my last resort would be to try to buy a new one to see if the same problem happens to rule out the receiver & just return it if I have the same problem. I would just swap it out, but I got this receiver new from eBay for $250 I think.

Tyler
post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 1748
I meant try the ATV in ALL of the HDMI inputs (not just the one's not being used).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I tried that too. I think I found the issue online. The problem is called a handshake. I am going to try to buy the same receiver at a best buy & see if the same problem happens. If not I might try a roku player or connect the apple tv to the tv via HDMI & connect an optical cable to the receiver or from the tv to the receiver optical port if my TV has one.

Tyler
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I tried switching the HDMI wire to a thin one I had bought from the apple store because I needed one in the past real quick. I also tried turning the receiver on first then the apple tv & the unit was not experiencing the handshake problem. Today using my setup the handshake issue started again. I found this article: http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_handshake_troubleshooting_guidelines.php . I'm thinking of just going out & buying a Yamaha receiver & seeing if the issue happens, especially after reading the article above. If it doesn't I'll just sell the Denon reciever.

Tyler
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1612 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page