Help Selecting New Receiver in $650-$900 range - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As much as I love the audio quality, it is time to retire my old HK AVR-7000. There are several reasons, but the main one is that I am experiencing lip-sync issues ever since upgrading to an LED TV (120Hz processing). I would like a receiver with a delay feature. I would also like to have the receiver act as the main HDMI switch, instead of having separate video and audio cables from each device. As a bonus, I will get lossless audio from my Blu Ray player.

I have been out of the game for a while, so I am not sure what additional features are out there that I should be looking for. Here are the ones I am interested in:
  • 5.1 in the 100 watt per channel range - I only have speakers for a 5.1 system, and don't plan on getting new ones, so I don't really care about 7.1, 9.1, etc.
  • Lip-sync/delay settings. I don't know if my TV (Sharp Aquos 60" LED, cheapest one they make) has auto-sync, so I would prefer something that I can configure manually per input
  • 6 HDMI inputs would be nice
  • Some kind of auto-setup using a mic (Audyssey, etc).
  • Ipod and/or network streaming capabilities
  • I would love a USB port specifically for wireless networking so that I don't have to go get a wireless bridge

Here is my setup:
1 output device, 60" LED TV
5.1 speakers, including powered sub
Blu Ray player outputting 1080p
Verizon Fios for TV
iPhone

That's about it, so it really isn't very complicated. I have been considering the following models:

Denon AVR-2313CI
Pioneer Elite VSX-60
Onkyo TX-NR717

What does everyone think of the above models? I am open to other suggestions as well.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The Denon 3312 is on clearance right now so that would be my pick over the 2313(I own the 3311 so I am a bit bias). For Onkyo you should be able to find the 818 in your price range. I personally would not get the 717 because Audyssey 2EQ is a big step down from MultEQ XT and XT32. I would not pay that much for a receiver with 2EQ. Also there should still be some 709 and 809s around from last year that you could get a good deal on. Both of those models have MultEQ XT.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

The Denon 3312 is on clearance right now so that would be my pick over the 2313(I own the 3311 so I am a bit bias). For Onkyo you should be able to find the 818 in your price range. I personally would not get the 717 because Audyssey 2EQ is a big step down from MultEQ XT and XT32. I would not pay that much for a receiver with 2EQ. Also there should still be some 709 and 809s around from last year that you could get a good deal on. Both of those models have MultEQ XT.

Thanks for the reply. I found a few places that have the 3312 for under $700.
It looks like the most significant change between the 3313 and the 3312 is that the 3312 does not support 4k scaling. I am not sure what this even does. How important of a a feature is it?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Thanks for the reply. I found a few places that have the 3312 for under $700.
It looks like the most significant change between the 3313 and the 3312 is that the 3312 does not support 4k scaling. I am not sure what this even does. How important of a a feature is it?

It's not important at all. There are no 4K tvs at the moment and no 4K content to watch. Even when it becomes available in a few years, it's almost certain whatever TV you get will upscale everything to it's native 4K display.

Given a choice between the 3313 and 3312 at current price, the 3312 is what I would get.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

One difference I noticed between my existing receiver and the Denon AVR-3312CI is that the Denon does not have a toroidal power transformer, while the HK does. Is this something that I should be concerned with?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

One difference I noticed between my existing receiver and the Denon AVR-3312CI is that the Denon does not have a toroidal power transformer, while the HK does. Is this something that I should be concerned with?

If you really want a toroidal transformer in a receiver, you'll need to spend way outside your budget, so I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it would make much difference anyway.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up purchasing the 3312 yesterday for $625. So far, I am very happy with it. The lip-sync issues are gone, and I didn't even have to set anything. It looks like the TV is feeding back the delay information to the receiver automatically. I was also able to simplify my connections significantly, as now I use only HDMI all going through the receiver. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 model owner's linked in my sig. Be sure to review posts #3-6 for some helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page