Receivers with built-in HD Radio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to replace my receiver in the next few months.

Why are there so few receivers with built-in HD Radio, and mostly higher end? I'm finding it hard to find out which receivers have the capability too. HDRadio.com doesn't seem complete or up to date, and the vendor sites are hard to search for the feature. Reviews typically don't mention HD Radio - just HD audio.

So far, I've come up with
Denon - starting at 2312/2313, but 1912 or lower (as long as it has DLNA) is more in my price range.
Onkyo - not built-in but controlling the $149 attachment seems too much to pay
Yamaha - starts at RX-A1010 - out of my budget
Pioneer - I can't even find mention of HD Radio in the receivers - but it is prominently displayed for car receivers.

Is it worth searching for HD Radio in a low/mid range receiver? Perhaps I should stick with my external component which is inconvenient, or just move to Internet radio.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
IMO, HD Radio is a "shrug" feature. I do get the point (I have it in my car and in my office), but ultimately, Internet Radio offers so much more.

If you are looking for music, check out something like MOG, which will stream 320k -- I personally am happy with the quality and have pretty much stopped listening to the lossless collection on my NAS.

The downside is that virtually all AVR Internet Radio implementations are rather primitive, so you may be better off just picking up a Boxee Box, Roku, or an Apple TV and use it for streaming (if you use AirPlay, the new Apple TV can also do mirroring).
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I think you've mentioned all your options. You can asking on the HD Radio subform here. They might know of other options there.

You might be able to find the Denon AVR-2312CI in your price range now that its been replaced by this year's model.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
You can scratch the 23XX series as the 33XX series are the lowest level models with HD Radio.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirklandMike View Post

Why are there so few receivers with built-in HD Radio, and mostly higher end? I'm finding it hard to find out which receivers have the capability too. HDRadio.com doesn't seem complete or up to date, and the vendor sites are hard to search for the feature. Reviews typically don't mention HD Radio - just HD audio.
So far, I've come up with
Denon - starting at 2312/2313, but 1912 or lower (as long as it has DLNA) is more in my price range.
Onkyo - not built-in but controlling the $149 attachment seems too much to pay
Yamaha - starts at RX-A1010 - out of my budget
Pioneer - I can't even find mention of HD Radio in the receivers - but it is prominently displayed for car receivers.
Is it worth searching for HD Radio in a low/mid range receiver? Perhaps I should stick with my external component which is inconvenient, or just move to Internet radio.
Thanks
Mike

HD Radio is a neat feature if you listen to the radio alot..
Especially since there are many, many AM/FM HD2/HD3 stations nationally in North America
However these additional tuner options including Sirius/XM have failed miserably in AVRs...mad.gif
Originally HD Radio was expensive but now its cost has decreased to < $5 due to silicon integration.
Expected in car audio OE and aftermarket applications but not home..

The bottom line seems to be that the AVR buyers doesn't care alot about anything other than the latest/greatest audio and video technology and the most # of HDMI inputs. However now that AVRs are starting to include Internet & network, Air Play connectivity one gets all of the internet radio services such as Pandora or Rhapsody or Spotify any other tuner option are no longer crucial..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I like Pandora - use it all the time from the computer. But radio is convenient, and HD radio is offered on many of the stations I like.

Pioneer told me
Quote:
HD radio technology is only incorporated into our car products. We have not been advised if it will ever be incorporated into our home receivers.
Not exactly what I'd call customer service.

I don't know where I got the idea that the Denon 2312 supported HD Radio. The 3312 is way too expensive for me.

If I have to use an external box, I might as well stick with my Sony HD Radio. I was just hoping for greater convenience.

Isn't AirPlay just iPhone?

Thanks all.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 PM
585-645-1006

Amazon just had the 3312CI for $550 a couple of weeks ago, and it can currently be had at about $100 more by "calling" Electronics Expo.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirklandMike View Post

Thanks
Mike

I know this is an old thread. But I was having the exact same thoughts several weeks ago! How is it that portable HD radio devices can be purchased for a tiny fraction of the extra cost that consumers incur if they want an a/v receiver with a built-in HD radio tuner? We can all talk about supply and demand. However, it makes absolutely no sense to me. At the end of the shopping process, I ended up buying a Yamaha RX-A820 (without the HD radio tuner). I simply could not afford to double my cost in an a/v receiver, just to get a built-in HD radio tuner. Maybe I will consider adding on an external device to this receiver in the future to receive HD radio. On that note, does anyone have any suggestions for external HD radio tuners that are compatible with my a/v receiver? Thanks for any replies.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 PM
585-645-1006

If you don't get any suggestions, you would likely be better served starting a new thread with the heading geared towards what you're looking for (ie. 3rd party HD AM/FM tuner).

post #10 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Yes, good advice. Thanks smile.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The aren't a lot of devices that aren't car radios that can tune HD Radio. The best place here to ask about what's available today that might meet your needs is in the HD Radio specific forum.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page