Denon or Yahama for $900 or below - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had originally purchased an Onkyo 616 and after a disaster of an experience with endless firmware updates that eventually bricked the unit completely, I returned it.

Now I'm looking at getting another receiver. I wouldn't say that I'm a audiophile but I like good sound. I will have 5.1 setup in the living area with a zone 2 setup on the patio for now. I thought about adding 2 more speakers in the surround but I'm not sure I would be able to match them. My current speakers are Boston Acoustics all the way around. The aren't satellite speakers and have a decent amount of base even without the sub.

I've looked at Pioneer, Denon (and Marantz) and Yamaha and I really don't know what to buy. I will be listening to music but I watch movies more than anything. I will stream music from my PC and likely use Slacker part of the time through my Android.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing between models even if only looking at the Yamaha but I'm leaning towards the RX-A720, RX-V763 or the Denon AVR-2113CI. Any stand out differences between the Yamaha, Denon or even Pioneer VSX 60? Maybe it is just a matter of preference of sound as much of the specs look the same. Is the Zone2 easily accessible on these?

Thanks ahead of time for any input. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The Denon 3312 is on clearance right now so I would look at it in that price range. I think the biggest difference between Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon are the types of room correction they use. The big advantage with a Denon is that Audyssey will eq a Subwoofer while YPAO and MCACC will not. There are a couple Yamahas with YPAO that will eq a sub but last time I checked they were the 2010 and 3010. I don't know which of the new models xx20 have this ability as I have not researched them yet. I have not used YPAO but I did prefer Audyssey over MCACC. You are correct though, it really comes down to personal preference.
The receivers you listed all have zone 2. You can either do 5 channels in your main zone and use 2 for zone 2 or you can use all 7 channels in the main zone and use an amp or extra receiver for zone 2. If you want to use airplay in zone 2 while listening to something else in zone 1 you would have to go with one of the xx13 denons as last year’s models couldn’t do that. You had to have airplay on in the main zone if you wanted to use it in zone 2. If that is a feature you want then I think the 2113 is a good option but I admit that I am a bit partial to Denon.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

The Denon 3312 is on clearance right now so I would look at it in that price range. I think the biggest difference between Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon are the types of room correction they use. The big advantage with a Denon is that Audyssey will eq a Subwoofer while YPAO and MCACC will not. There are a couple Yamahas with YPAO that will eq a sub but last time I checked they were the 2010 and 3010. I don't know which of the new models xx20 have this ability as I have not researched them yet. I have not used YPAO but I did prefer Audyssey over MCACC. You are correct though, it really comes down to personal preference.
The receivers you listed all have zone 2. You can either do 5 channels in your main zone and use 2 for zone 2 or you can use all 7 channels in the main zone and use an amp or extra receiver for zone 2. If you want to use airplay in zone 2 while listening to something else in zone 1 you would have to go with one of the xx13 denons as last year’s models couldn’t do that. You had to have airplay on in the main zone if you wanted to use it in zone 2. If that is a feature you want then I think the 2113 is a good option but I admit that I am a bit partial to Denon.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad you posted up because I was considering last year's Denon but now that you mention the zone two functioning I would much prefer the xx13 because I would like to have zone 2 using airplay while zone 1 watches a movie, etc. Things like your input would have taken me a long time reading through forums to get. I don't have hours to read about each receiver so I appreciate the help.

I really liked the Audssey setup when I had the Onkyo. I thought it calibrated the sound well. Any other thoughts anyone?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 AM

Liked: 10
I would love to see more replys to this. I am trying to decide between the denon 2313 and Yamaha RX-A820.

Party mode seems really nice in the Yamaha and I like the iPad app from Yamaha after playing with the demo mode. Sadly pioneer has the best iPad app but I don't think the receiver hardware stacks up as well. Denon just has an iPhone app and I think it's the least user friendly of the three apps I tried. I know that point of differentiation may be silly to most on avs but I like being able to deal with all the complex options via iOS device.

I see a lot of people saying YPAO is inferior to audyssey but I just don't think I will know the difference. I'm not that highly attuned and currently use a 5.1 Sony reciever I bought in 1999. I have to depend on the tv to switch video signals. I feel like the Yamaha or denon are going to be tons better and I won't really care about YPAO versus audyssey.

Also I think the convenience of on the fly switching between 7.1 and 5.1 with powered zone 2 stereo is really nice on the Yamaha. On the denon you have to wire it up for one or the other and go change the wires to change setups. The Yamaha just changes where the last two amps send their power based on the situation. That seems great because it allows for 7.1 and powered zone 2 sound without an external amp or second reciever.

All of the above makes me think the Yamaha RX-A820 is the clear winner but tell me if I am missing something. And if your answer is audyssey please tell me a reason why aside from being able to EQ my sub. That seems like a small thing I will never do.

One other random thing I have been dying to know is if I use an analog signal in a zone 2 and a digital signal in zone 1, will there be a delay on one or the other so that the sounds are not in sync? Like if I have my uverse box doing 5.1 via hdmi in the main room and stereo sound via RCA cable in other rooms of the house. Will the speakers in zone 2 be in sync with the picture in my main room or with maybe with a second tv on the secondary hdmi output of the Yamaha reciever? Party mode fixes the synchronization issue but forces only 2 channel stereo in both zones.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaznik View Post

Also I think the convenience of on the fly switching between 7.1 and 5.1 with powered zone 2 stereo is really nice on the Yamaha. On the denon you have to wire it up for one or the other and go change the wires to change setups. The Yamaha just changes where the last two amps send their power based on the situation. That seems great because it allows for 7.1 and powered zone 2 sound without an external amp or second reciever..

Are you sure about the Denon? I thought I had read that you could switch it on the fly but I guess I'm wrong.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
The Denon will not switch on the fly. I looked at the 2313 and A820 for a while and decided on the 2313. Then I read a post on here stating that the Denon's couldn't auto switch from 5.1 to 7.1 and that killed the deal for me.

I currently have a 7.1 setup in my living room but I also want a 2.0 setup on my patio. The Yamaha will switch to 5.1 when zone 2 is active and switch back to 7.1 when zone 2 is off without having to rewire the speaker wires on the back of the AVR.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

The Denon will not switch on the fly. I looked at the 2313 and A820 for a while and decided on the 2313. Then I read a post on here stating that the Denon's couldn't auto switch from 5.1 to 7.1 and that killed the deal for me.
I currently have a 7.1 setup in my living room but I also want a 2.0 setup on my patio. The Yamaha will switch to 5.1 when zone 2 is active and switch back to 7.1 when zone 2 is off without having to rewire the speaker wires on the back of the AVR.

This isn't such a deal killer to me but good to know.