Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Any reasons in particular why you went with the XPR versus the XPA
For running your inwallls? The XPR is 400 watts per channel and the
XPA is 200 watts per channel,but your inwallls are rated at 150wpc?

Well I cant speak for Randy. But I find its always better to go with more power than less power, to secure you for future upgrades. Many enthusiast upgrade their speakers more often than their components unless they become faulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emofan21 View Post

Well I cant speak for Randy. But I find its always better to go with more power than less power, to secure you for future upgrades. Many enthusiast upgrade their speakers more often than their components unless they become faulty.
I agree with the poster that I quoted. I figured the more power the better. Emotiva told me since my speakers are so efficient that I am not using the amp to it's fullest and not driving it very hard. I guess my amp should last a long time....biggrin.gif
emofan21 likes this.

Denon AVR 4520ci
Emotiva XPR-5
Denon 3313 BDP
L/C/R Klipsch KL7800 THX, SL/SR Klipsch KS7800 THX
SBL/SBL, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR Klipsch 5800W
(4) Epik Empire subs/(1) DIY 18" sub
Darbee Darblet
Epson 5030UB/135" Fixed Mount Screen
Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

I went with the XPR-5 instead of the XPA Gen 1 because of the greater power-handling and better specs. in general, like higher capacitance and a bigger transformer as related to power output. I also got a GREAT deal on the XPR-5 and only had rack space for ONE amp. The 5 speakers connected to my XPR-5 can handle in excess of 450 watts RMS each. I did audition the XPA-5 with my gear before settling on the XPR. Normal volume levels between the two were fine but something was missing when I cranked the XPA-5 to 11. I'm betting that the noise floor is very similar between the two now since the XPA Gen 2 has the same gain as the XPR.

That's fine,I can understand why you got the XPR ...you have
Speakers that can handle that amp....or is it vice versa?
Just not following the 150 watt inwallls logic.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Understood....but he has some great inwallls,probably not gonna get upgraded
As often as you or I might. I'm not very familiar with inwallls, do they make units that
Can handle 400 watts of amplification?

The question I posed for Randy was why he picked the XPR over the XPA.
Both easily exceed the recommended continuous power for his inwallls.
And I would think that the current reserves of the XPA could even handle the
Instantaneous peaks that might be delivered to the speakers short term.

What am I missing here??
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

IM sorry duc135 where are you getting your information about there being No difference in SQ?

Well, you don't have to believe me. That's the great thing about having free will. Judging by your name you're either a fan of Emotiva or the stereotypes of people who dress in tight jeans and get "emotional" about everything. I'm guessing the former. If that's the case, you may want to search this forum. Someone here posted a response from one of the Emotiva engineers who stated that all properly designed amps sound the same. An amplifiers job is to amplify the signal. Nothing more, nothing less. Look at the frequency response of the Emotiva amps that they publish. The graphs on them are pretty much ruler flat. How does that equate to better sound if all amps provide the same response? The only difference between amps that might make audible differences would be THD and SNR. Again, all properly designed amps have those specs well below human hearing threshold.

Quote:

Amps of today is not the amps of yesteryear...They have chips and processors in them that makes them capable of doing more than just amplifying sound. Everything inside a particular amp contributes to the sound quality.

As I said above, an amplifier's job is to amplify the incoming signal unmolested. Nothing more, nothing less. If it has a processor that does "more than just amplifying the sound" as you say, it is no longer just an amplifier. It is now a signal processor. I am talking about amplifiers not signal processors. All properly designed amplifiers will sound the same when not driven to clipping.

Quote:

And just because 1s hearing is not as good to discern the differences doesn't mean that nobody else is. I 4 one have very good hearing. I have never listen to any music through a pair of headphones. Which science has proven does causes hear loss overtime. I have been an Audio "Aficionado" for over 20 yrs and even car amps differ in sound from 1 another.

Sorry, I don't have golden ears like you so I'll be the first to admit that can't tell the difference between a 0.01dB in frequency deviation that Emotiva claims in their specs. That's probably why I don't pay $1000/ft for speaker wire either. The benefits are lost on these unrefined ears of mine. Also, I've only been an "Audio Aficionado" for the last three years or so. I don't have the experience you have in being able to hear things so you've got me beat there too. Same for car amps. I can't tell the difference between all the amps that have gone through my car either so I suppose I should dump my systems and start over with all Zapco amps that would cost me more than my car is worth.

Quote:

I have never listen to any music through a pair of headphones. Which science has proven does causes hear loss overtime.

That settles it, I'd better sell my Beyer and HiFiMAN headphones too since my ears now know that sound coming from headphones are different from sounds coming from other sources and will cause hearing loss. Now I need to figure out how two strap my speakers to my ears to avoid hearing loss from headphones.

Quote:

So I say Csan..audition for yourself trust your OWN ears not any1 else's or any1 else mouth for that reason. Spent your money how you see best for you. Your the one that's going to live with it. and better to do it once and be done. All the best to you!! wink.gif

Something we can agree on.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and I see not very well educated.

You are correct, I am uneducated. I am technically a high school dropout. At least I know the difference between your and you're and hi and high. wink.gif

Quote:

You said an Emotiva engineer said that all amps at a certain frequency will sound the same...hmmm so NO amps have different noise floors?? ...So the capacitance and toroidal power supplies as well as different class topology has no effect on how clean and or powerful the "amplified" sound would be.

No, capacitance and toroidal power supplies do not influence sound so long as they are not being driven to produce more power than they are rated for. No, amp class topology won't decide how clean and powerful the amplified signal is. They will dictate how efficiently the device will amplify the signal. How clean the output signal is is based on the amplifier design. How powerful the signal is is based on how much current and voltage the amplifier can produce. We're talking about properly designed amps here. So no, the noise floor will not be audible unless you like to listen to your equipment at full volume on super sensitive speakers with nothing playing. I for one, do not listen to my system that way. I like to actually play music through them. Like I said previously. You don't have to believe me. I'm just some uneducated person on the internet. Search this forum for the post I mentioned. It's here somewhere.

Quote:

And whether you want 2 be in denial about hearing music through headphones being damaging doesn't mean it doesn't exist.... Sound needs AIR to travel properly an effectively.

I'm not in denial of headphones causing hearing damage. I question that it's solely because they come from headphones. I'm pretty sure it's more due to the fact that people listen to headphones at volumes that are damaging and not because the are coming from headphones. I'm sure going to rock concerts would cause far more hearing damage than listening to headphones at 60dB for the same time period. BTW, sound does not need air to be able to travel properly or effectively. Sound actually propagates faster and farther in water.

Quote:

You wouldn't put your ear to the bell of a saxophone as its being played right?...or your head up inside a piano while the ivories are being tickled. Well its the same thing. when you blasting hi decibels' inside your ear.

No, I wouldn't because that would be unpleasant. That is neither here nor there since that is not what you originally said. You said (and I quote) "I have never listen to any music through a pair of headphones. Which science has proven does causes hear loss overtime." You are stating listening to music through headphones cause hearing damage. You made no mention of "blasting hi decibels".

Quote:

And I tell you what..i do have $1000+ speaker cables and love them.

Glad you love them. I'm sure the company you bought them from also love them for all the easy money they bring in. What I do love is how you like to preach science and going to take a class in science yet dismiss the very same science that proves speaker cables make no difference in SQ once they are of sufficient size to deliver the required current.

Quote:

How about you develop a cable and we compare..and see whose sound better or if there is any different...ready set-go..smdh tongue.gif

Sorry, too uneducated to develop a cable on my own. It's far easier and cost effective for me to order a bulk spool of 10AWG pure copper wire when they go on sale. It's also due to my poor education that I have absolutely no idea what "smdh" means. I do notice that you do seem to like closing your statements with that though.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I apologize to everyone on this thread and especially emofan21. I did reply and attack him or her and it was uncalled for. I blame it on this flu and the heavy meds I'm on for my short temper. I can barely keep my eyes open any more. If emofan21 wants me too, I'll delete my posts or edit it tomorrow once I'm more clear headed. The content, for the most part, I stand behind. The sarcasm, personal attacks and delivery was unwarrranted though. Again my apologies to all.
emofan21 likes this.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can I use the Furman ADP-1520B Power Adapter with the XPR-5?

Here is a link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-ADP-1520B-Power-Adapter-Black/dp/B0063R8OPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395021252&sr=8-1&keywords=Furman+ADP-1520B

My theater room got a 15 amp wall outlet. Having someone come to my house and install a 20 amp in the theater room is NOT happening. They would have to rip my house apart redo all the wiring in the house. My wife would not take that very well and the cost as well.

On Amazon, there is a reviewer By Flytheater . The person seems to be very happy with the Furman ADP-1520B. Below are Flytheater's comments:

"My Emotiva XPR5 Amplifier requires a 20Amp circuit/wall plug. This is a great adapter to convert amplifier's cable to a 15Amp wall plug. I recommend this item for those who don't have a dedicated 20AMP plug for high power audio gear."

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 5 Reference Five Channel Power Amplifier
User Tag List