Emotiva XPR-5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I just received an email from Emotiva with the information about the XPR-5. So, who is going to buy one of this monsters?

eek.gifeek.gif

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr5

SPECIFICATIONS

Topology: Fully discrete, dual differential, high current, short signal path Class A/B amplification with Optimized Class-H™ power supply topology.
Number of Channels: 5
Power Output
(rated power; THD < 0.01%):
400 watts / channel (x5); all channels driven; into 8 Ohms.
600 watts / channel (x5); all channels driven; into 4 Ohms.
500 watts / channel (x2); two channels driven; into 8 Ohms.
750 watts / channel (x2); two channels driven; into 4 Ohms.
575 watts / channel (x1); one channel driven; into 8 Ohms.
1100 watts (1 .1 kW) / channel (x1); one channel driven; into 4 Ohms.
Rated Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 8 Ohm load): 20 Hz to 20 kHz + /- 0.01 dB.
Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (each channel): 4 Ohms (which equals one 4 Ohm load or two paralleled 8 Ohm loads per channel).
Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 80 kHz (+ 0 / - 1 dB).
THD + noise: < 0.015%
Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
> 93 dB at 1 watt (A-weighted).
> 109 dB at rated power (A-weighted).
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500
Speaker Output Connections:
Super heavy duty audiophile speaker binding posts - with clear acrylic insulators and heavy duty gold plated contacts; designed to accept heavy-gauge bare cables, lugs, or banana plugs.
Power Supply:
3.3 kVA toroidal power transformer.
180,000 uF of storage capacitance.
Input sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.875 V
Gain: 29 dB
Input Connections:
Unbalanced (Tiffany style, audiophile quality, gold plated RCA); one per channel.
Balanced (XLR); one per channel.
Each input may be independently switched to either unbalanced or balanced.
Input Impedance:
47 kOhms (unbalanced).
22 kOhms (balanced).
Trigger:
Trigger Input: 5 - 20 V (AC or DC); <10 mA input current required.
Trigger Output: 12 VDC; can drive any load up to 50 mA.
Power Requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50 / 60 Hz (user selectable).
Front Panel Controls and Indicators:
Standby; push button (changes color to indicate Standby or On).
Status LEDs (one per channel); illuminate blue for normal operation or red to indicate a fault (may be disabled by rear panel Status LED switch).
Rear Panel Controls:
AC Power switch; rocker switch (switches AC mains power).
Status LEDs switch; small slide switch on left rear (disables front panel Status LEDs).
Protection: The XPR-5 is protected against excessive operating temperature, shorted speaker connections, ground faults, and other common fault conditions. If a fault occurs on one or more channels of the XPR-5, the LED above the Standby button, and the Channel Status LEDs and the LED Bargraph Meter LEDs associated with the channel that is reporting the fault will flash red. Returning the XPR-5 to Standby or switching off the AC Power will reset the protection circuitry.
Dimensions:
unboxed: 17" wide x 9.5" high x 19.5" deep (includes feet and binding posts; requires additional 3-4" of depth clearance to accomodate the power cord).
(double) boxed: 25" length x 23" width x 16" height
Weight: 94 lbs (net); 107 lbs (boxed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I plan to Review one soon! smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thats a nice price for so much power.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Sweet!

My XPA-5 looks tiny now..........biggrin.gif
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Cool. I am very interested to see how it compares to the Parasound A51. Thanks. Bob
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 498
In all honesty unless one has a huge room or very difficult speakers to drive why would anyone need 400 wpc?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

bingo...

edit: however, that will not stop people from buying them, and reporting back incredible sq gains, even though the great majority of them will likely be using less than 5 watts... wink.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I remember years ago when Bob Carver did a demo showing the playback of the sound of a scissor snip. He was using 4800 watts and still had clipping as shown on an oscilloscope! Probably not detectable in any way by the human ear but sure was interesting as it showed the instantaneous power requirements can be very demanding.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
bingo...
edit: however, that will not stop people from buying them, and reporting back incredible sq gains, even though the great majority of them will likely be using less than 5 watts... wink.gif

But those 5 watts will have magical powers and be completely different from the non audiophile 5 watts an AVR would provide wink.gif
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
There are other demos, and of course how much power depends upon many, many things. Not saying it was wrong, but Bob is a genius at many things, including marketing... There was some debate about what was clipping, and why. I'm pretty sure it was Bob who did a piano demo with his original Phase 700 showing a pair of speakers (might have been stacked Advents) needed about 400 W to reproduce a piano at "live" levels in a room. I would love to hear one of his latest amps.

On the XPR-5, I would have thought about it, but only ran a single 20 A line to my media room and my XPA-3/XPA-2 combo drives my low-impedance inefficient Maggies in my little room louder than I can stand. Peaks at the listening spot hit about 105 - 108 dB, plenty for me.

The XPR-5 does look like a nice amp. Wonder if they'll come out with 1/2/3-channel versions now? INteresting to see how Emotiva moves into the higher end and maintains value. They have been doing some good things lately.

Off-topic: I recently asked about driving my 4-ohm Maggies with a pair of bridged XPA-2's (adding one, for reasons other than power) and was told "no". It will not handle the low-impedance load (effectively 2 ohms to a bridged amp).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

The XPR-5 does look like a nice amp. Wonder if they'll come out with 1/2/3-channel versions now? INteresting to see how Emotiva moves into the higher end and maintains value. They have been doing some good things lately.

I was just thinking the same. I mean, if the XPR-5 is the upgrade of the XPA-5; so what kind of power are they going to put on a XPA-1? eek.gif

[/quote]Off-topic: I recently asked about driving my 4-ohm Maggies with a pair of bridged XPA-2's (adding one, for reasons other than power) and was told "no". It will not handle the low-impedance load (effectively 2 ohms to a bridged amp).[/quote]

So the limitation on the bridge mode for the XPA-2 is the low-impedance load, correct? In my case my fronts are 8-ohm and therefore I should be Ok if a second XPA-2 is added to my setup. What do you think?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Wonder if they'll come out with 1/2/3-channel versions now?

I believe there will be 1CH and 2CH XPR amps although I'm not sure about a 3CH version. I listened to the recent Emotiva podcast and IIRC the XPR-1 will have 1000wpc at 8ohms eek.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
No XPR-3 is planned. Makes sense, because people who buy XPR are most likely people who got separates. While the XPA-3 is a sensible upgrade to a mid-price receiver.

I think I remember the XPR-2 will be 2 x 500 Watt @ 8 ohm.

Too bad the originally planned XPR-7 was canned and givven to sister brand Sherbourn:
http://www.sherbourn.com/index.php/home-theater-products/home-theater-amplifiers/30-pa-7-350

That's 7 x 350 Watt @ 8 ohm

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm sorry but they could have made it look a little classier.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

While I like the looks, it is a personal thing!
There are an entire series of components coming that will match the appearance. Should look nice - I hope.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Quote:
Off-topic: I recently asked about driving my 4-ohm Maggies with a pair of bridged XPA-2's (adding one, for reasons other than power) and was told "no". It will not handle the low-impedance load (effectively 2 ohms to a bridged amp).

So the limitation on the bridge mode for the XPA-2 is the low-impedance load, correct? In my case my fronts are 8-ohm and therefore I should be Ok if a second XPA-2 is added to my setup. What do you think?

Yes, with 8-ohm speakers you should be fine. Whether you really need a second XPA-2, now, that's another story! smile.gif I was considering it for space reasons and I already have the crossover so moving the amps behind the speakers makes sense. I may just move my XPA-2 behind one; I don't really need more power and can find other things to do with the extra $$$.

A friend of mine is powering his B&W front line (pair of 803D's and the big center speaker, forget the model) with three XPA-1's. He has a much larger room, but at full blast there is plenty of headroom left over for other more mundane tasks like arc-welding... smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 07-04-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I believe there will be 1CH and 2CH XPR amps although I'm not sure about a 3CH version. I listened to the recent Emotiva podcast and IIRC the XPR-1 will have 1000wpc at 8ohms eek.gif.
Bill

1000wpc at 8ohms..........really!?!?!?!

cool.gif
Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can see uses for this amp, but I'm wondering how it compares to the XPA-2 in sound quality, given that the XPA-2 is a monster value.

John
Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

I can see uses for this amp, but I'm wondering how it compares to the XPA-2 in sound quality, given that the XPA-2 is a monster value.
John

Well, it seems like we will have to wait until the initial reviews are posted on the web. Then we might have a better understanding on how this new amp actually sounds.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Liked: 10
I was entertaining the idea of the XPA-3 for a while added to the Perreaux PMF-3150 that is driving my Dynaudio Audience 82s. I have just superceded that with this particular amp. I will wait for some to review before I dive in, but I will be adding the Focus 200C center channel and the Focus 140s for the rear. At 4Ohm stable it will be putting 600wpc into the Dyn's and hopefully a good match. Eventually I would be looking at comparing this amp against the Simaudio Titan (not the same class, but curious as to how much difference for double the price). An amps quality is not always a function of power, but having that power to spare makes the sound effortless. I am hoping that these amps have a somewhat neutral quality and a dead quiet background as well. There was a significant difference in effortless sound and quality moving from my old Telefunken separates system at around 50wpc into 4Ohm to 500wpc into 4Ohm. Not really looking for much musical improvement from the Perreaux to this one, but adding in the extra power on the 3 missing channels is going to make the HT experience mind blowing (or at least ear blowing).
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post

I was entertaining the idea of the XPA-3 for a while added to the Perreaux PMF-3150 that is driving my Dynaudio Audience 82s. I have just superceded that with this particular amp. I will wait for some to review before I dive in, but I will be adding the Focus 200C center channel and the Focus 140s for the rear. At 4Ohm stable it will be putting 600wpc into the Dyn's and hopefully a good match. Eventually I would be looking at comparing this amp against the Simaudio Titan (not the same class, but curious as to how much difference for double the price). An amps quality is not always a function of power, but having that power to spare makes the sound effortless. I am hoping that these amps have a somewhat neutral quality and a dead quiet background as well. There was a significant difference in effortless sound and quality moving from my old Telefunken separates system at around 50wpc into 4Ohm to 500wpc into 4Ohm. Not really looking for much musical improvement from the Perreaux to this one, but adding in the extra power on the 3 missing channels is going to make the HT experience mind blowing (or at least ear blowing).

I had the 140s and the 200C at one time in my system. Excellent speakers for sure. To be honest I would move the 82s to the rear and use the 140s for the front. Especially if you listen to a lot of music as I feel the 140s are a better sounding speaker than the 82s.

Bill

Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM

So it turns out that Dynaudio's line has changed up. Now I would be looking at the Focus 210C and the Focus 160s. Long term I plan to move the 160s into a separate 2-channel analog setup and replace them with the Focus 380s which would become the fronts and the Audience 82s would become the rears in that case. For music I love the low end of the Audience 82s and while the top end would be improved over the 82s I wouldn't be able to match the low end without a sub coupled with the 140/160s (though I could be wrong on this). For 2-channel I can't see myself wanting to run a sub/monitors. I can just imagine what 5-channel stereo or even better a well authored SACD would sound like on this amp..... biggrin.gif

I listen to a pretty balanced mix of music and movies, so neither one really has dominance in my system at the moment. I can't see that changing any time in the near future. The problem with this is I need a system setup that does both extremely well. Most setups are designed to do one or the other better.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 AM

Liked: 17
Does Emotiva's summer sales usually last for a few months? I'm presuming so since it's referred to as a "summer sale." It would make sense for it to carry over up until Emofest early September. I'm thinking I might pick this up in a month or so. I'm sure if there's no logical design flaws or upfront issues of overheating with the amp, then it should receive very favorable reviews considering it's amazing price. I wasn't a huge a fan of the appearance at first but it's really grown on me.

My only concerns are those of the "first adopters" for any product line. I'm really hoping there aren't any QC issues.

Also, is a 20 amp line really required to power this beast? I've read it on the Emotiva forums but they don't actually specify that requirement on the product page. Common knowledge for this level of amplifier perhaps?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

I believe the web site says till July 16th or till stock runs out.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

Also, is a 20 amp line really required to power this beast? I've read it on the Emotiva forums but they don't actually specify that requirement on the product page. Common knowledge for this level of amplifier perhaps?

looking at the picture, it appears to have a c20 power inlet, so yes...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

My only concerns are those of the "first adopters" for any product line. I'm really hoping there aren't any QC issues.
/quote]

But keep in mind that you have 5 year warranty on Emotiva's products. So, that should give you peace of mind if you buy one of these monsters!

I just recently have an issue with my XPA-2 and they were really quick/supportive on having the issue resolved. RMA was issued the same day and hopefully, I will have my amp back at home by the end of this week. So, my point here is that you can have issues even with mature products. Key item here is what kind of support do you receive from the manufacturer when issues are identified.

I can't speak on behalf of others, but on my personal experience (issue recently identified with my XPA-2), Emotiva is a top notch company regarding customer support (pre/post sale).

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

It's Class AB so tops out around 66% efficiency, probably less. At 400 W/ch * 5 ch / 115 V = 17.4 A even at 100 % efficiency. I think a 20 A circuit is required... Personally, if I could, I would run a 230 V line for such a beast. The counter is that full power from all channels is unlikely, ever...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup...

and yup.... smile.gif

- chris

Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 PM

What can I tell?

Rather than WOW

My XPA-5 suddenly seems too tinysmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Real 1080p Fan ! ! ! Living to Enjoy it's very best ! ! ! (...if I can afford it...)
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo140hd View Post

What can I tell?
Rather than WOW
My XPA-5 suddenly seems too tinysmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Although far from being the heaviest amp out there, XPR-5 should be the heaviest under the price of two grand.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 5 Reference Five Channel Power Amplifier