The versatility of the Yamaha RX-A3020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum so this, my first post, may be a little longer than usual but I'm looking for some advice to solve a particular problem and this looks like the right place to come.

Firstly, to help you understand the scenario, I'll be moving into a new house in the next month or so. The new place currently has a NuVo Simplese (4 zone, 4 source audio distribution), unfortunately however the current owner is taking everything except the cables. My initial thought was that would be OK, because I'd like to upgrade the system anyway, but that was before I did I little research into what was available, what they costs and what the benefits of each of the other systems are i.e. NuVo Essentia, SpreakerCraft MZC-66, the various Elan models etc. I'll discuss those in another thread, but then I came across the new Yamaha RX-A3020 and this is where my question comes in.

The RX-A3020 is advertised as a 4Zone system but it's unclear, at least to me, exactly how I could use these 4 zones.

What I'd like to do is the following:
Zone 1 - TV room - 7.1 surround
Zone 2 - Main Bedroom - HDMI (pre-amp) out to the RX-V765, where I should be able to create an independent (from the main zone) video, 5.1 surround stage
Zone 3 - Patio - Component out, plus "zone 2" (pre-amp) out to the RX-V440, I should be able to watch whatever source is selected for that zone, or use the screen to navigate Music/Movie selection, this should also be independent from the main zone, especially for Audio.
Zone 4 - Kitchen (Powered zone) - to dive two in ceiling speakers in the kitchen area, this would typically be for whatever audio is on in Zone 1
Of course with "Party mode" I'd like the same audio in Zone1, 3, and 4, with independent audio control.

So..., who can tell me if that's all possible, or do I need to find yet another solution, any suggestions?

If it helps, here's the product page
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3020_black_u/?mode=model

Front panel view
http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/others/raw/r/rx-a3020_black_u/001A7E8EB2F94B22B1F1128F44C48FA7_12075.jpg

Rear view
http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/others/raw/r/rx-a3020_black_u/9753407C66BF4EFAB55E242AC607EDF4_12075.jpg

PS - I would normally embed the images, but these are quite large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You can probably do something like thatt but we don't currently know for sure what the multi-zone limitations of the new Yamaha receivers are yet.

Assuming it is possible then you'll likely have to swap zone 2 and 4 in your configuration. Only zone 2 and 3 are powered zones. Zone 4 is HDMI only. You'll need to hook up any device you want to hear in zone 2 or zone 3 with analogue audio cables. You'll need to hook up any device you want to be able to watch in zone 3 with component video cables, there won't be any conversion from HDMI, composite or S-Video in this zone. Any source you want to watch or listen to in zone 4 will need to be connected to using HDMI, again no conversion in this zone.

I'm not sure if party mode will work in zone 4. There will be no pre-amp output from zone 4 to your RX-V765, just HDMI. You'd connect your RX-V440 using the zone 3 pre-out jacks, but you should configure the zone 3 volume as fixed, effectively making this a line level output.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ross.
So in theory, I would be able to use the Yamaha iPhone/iPad app from the zone4 (the bedroom), where the HDMI 2 out from the RX-A3020 is connected to HDMI in of the RX-V765, and select, watch or listen to any source connected to the RX-A3020... better yet, in theory I should be able to use AirPlay in Zone4 to look through, select and play anything from my networked iTunes library cool.gif
What we're talking about is depicted in the second part of this image.

I had another look at the back of the RX-A3020, according to the connections there are both powered and un-powered (pre-amp) outputs for Zone2 and Zone3. Using the powered output to the in-ceiling speakers in zone2 (the Kitchen) would be perfect.
This could done using this Intelligent Amp Design feature
855219C9BC8A436190ECFD2E0143843B_12074.jpg

That then only leaves Zone3(The Patio) for which I should be able to use the Zone3 pre-amp outs and assign the Component Video Out and use both of these as inputs for the RX-V440, which would then be connected to the Plasma in that Zone, which according to the literature is also possible:
Other Notable Zone Control
• Zone 2/3/4 on/off and control on front panel
• Zone GUI (song/station select, album cover art display, Zone tone controls/Zone balance, short message)
Zone 2/3 video assign (component, S-Video, composite)
• System backup/recovery function
• Zone mono, Zone volume, tone controls and balance
• Party Mode

Man, this is going to be an awesome project if it all works as planned cool.gif

PS - to extend this project a little, I can also use the zone2 of the RX-V765, in Zone2 (the bedroom) to extend the Audio into the bathroom, or Study. AND use the Speaker B selection of the RX-V440 to extend Audio to the other end of the Patio...

Looks like I need to put my order in smile.gif
post #4 of 15 Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaJunkie View Post

So in theory, I would be able to use the Yamaha iPhone/iPad app from the zone4 (the bedroom), where the HDMI 2 out from the RX-A3020 is connected to HDMI in of the RX-V765, and select, watch or listen to any source connected to the RX-A3020... better yet, in theory I should be able to use AirPlay in Zone4 to look through, select and play anything from my networked iTunes library

You'd be watch and/or listen to any source connected by HDMI in zone 4. That may not include any of the receiver's internal sources, like AirPlay. It would work with an external HDMI connectect AirPlay capable device like an Apple TV, though.
Quote:
This could done using this Intelligent Amp Design feature

That feature shouldn't be necessary in your case. There are a total of nine power amplifiers in the RX-A3020, you'd use seven for the main zone and two for zone 2. The Intelligent Amp Design feature would be for certain cases where you've got more than nine speakers connected. In certain configurations like that the receiver is able to dynamically assign the amplifers to speakers depending on the circumstances. So in the example picture there are nine speakers in the main zone, the standard 7.1 configuration plus two presence speakers, and two in zone 2. While zone 2 is active the surround back speakers are disabled so that two amps can be used to drive the zone 2 speakers. When zone 2 is turned off the surround back speakers are automatically renabled.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 AM

Hello.

Just wondering how you have progressed with this project as I am interested in achieving a similar setup.

Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 429
not to derail the from the OP's question, I'm thinking of buying the 3020. I'm coming from a long line of Pioneer Elite receivers to Anthem receiver and may want to go back to Yamaha for its DSP program (I used to own the original DSP-1, DSP-1000 and DSP-E3000 of Dolby Pro Logic days).

so questions:

1. how is the YPAO with R.S.C (how many bands parametric EQ, etc; can't find the exact info on their sites)
2. how are the DSP HD3 programmes compared to the regular DSP 3D programmes (and what make them different)
3. will the DSP work with TrueHD and DTS-MA?
4. are the DSP programmes based on sampled data just like the old original DSP or are they now based on digital modelling?

Thank you very much beforhand.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #7 of 15 Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I can tell you that the DSP effects work when decoding DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD on the RX-A3020. The manual might give you some insight into your other questions that Yamaha's web site doesn't.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Thanks for the info! I'll try the manual.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #9 of 15 Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM

The need is to provide 4 zones of independent volume control and also play net services (SirusXM, AirPlay, Rhapsody, Internet Radio, AM/FM/HDRadio) on any of the 4 zones.

Since there are only 3 powered sones on the Yamaha RXA-3020 and only 3 sets of pre-outs, and the 4th zone only outputs on the 2nd assignable HDMI output, would I be able to take the HDMI 2 output and connect it to an HDMI audio extractor (i.e. LUXi ATH-110) which will give me HDMI > RCA then into an external amps input via RCA?

Zone 1 - 5.1 Home Theater
Zone 2 - Front Yard
Zone 3 - Backyard Patio
Zone 4 - HDMI Out > RCA > Amp

Could I listen to the onboard services such as SiriusXM/AirPlay on this 4th zone as well as the other 3 zones if required aka "party mode"? From the iDevice app, would I be able to adjust the volume of each zone separately as well as change the sources?
post #10 of 15 Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Zone 4 isn't volume controlled and only works with devices connected to the receiver using HDMI cables. It doesn't work with any of the internal sources, even when using Party Mode.

More than three fully functional zones is outside the scope of normal AV receivers,and into the realm of whole home distribution systems. Since this tends to be expensive, you might want to consider a compromise, like getting a network-capable receiver for the fourth zone. If it's a Yamaha receiver then you can control it using the same app as you control your other receiver. It wouldn't necessary have to be a lot more expensive than that HDMI audio extractor and wouldn't have that device's limitation of only working with 2.0 PCM.

If you don't need independent source selection in the zones then you could consider using an impedance matching speaker selector. All the network inputs and the USB input share the same device internally, so you can't listen to different network sources in different zones anyways. The AM/FM/HD Radio tuner is also a single device, though a seperate one from the network/USB device.

If you use the second HDMI output for zone 4 instead of zone 2 then the zone 2 speaker terminals and pre-outs won't work with HDMI audio, just coaxial/optical digital audio, analogue audio and the internal sources. Zone 3 only works with analogue sources and internal sources regardless.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Hi all..

I was going to buy Onkyo 818 and run 7.1 + front high speakers on it, but may go for Yamaha RX A3020 instead with its ability to render 11.1 simultaneously. My room is to narrow for width channels anyways so Yamaha must be the perfect choice with its back presence and front presence. What I like to know is; how does blu-rays like Expendables 2 with 11.1 Neo:X sound in a 3020? How does the sound come out in the front and back presence channels? I would really appreciate hearing about it. More-so, It really bothers me that it wont say DTS NEO:X on the display with a Yamaha.. but think I'll go with it anyway.

And also; have you ever encountered center-voices being leaked to the presence channels? I read that with NEO:X it can happen on the width channels and may be a little bothersome..

My fronts are NS777 + NC444 center + NS555 for surround + NS555 for surround back + NC444 for both front highs+ SVS PC12 DSP subwoofer. I'm going to buy another 2 NC444 for the back presences channels to wrap things up. Everything else is bought second hand, for about half price, and very happy running that on my Yamaha RX-V640 as 5.1. The center speaker is the only one set to small but blends in perfectly with the rest. I love my new rig.. smile.gif

Regards

Sweden
post #12 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yamaha receivers don't support DTS Neo:X. You'll also need an external ampiifer to drive 11 speakers at once, otherwise it will switch between the rear surround speakers and the rear presence speaker depending on the DSP mode.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Yes I know, and I know I will need another amplifier. On a side note.. I saw Runaway Train on Blu-ray the other day with it's 2.0 LPCM sound.. I used Neo: 6 Music on my Yamaha RX-V640 and can't believe how good it sounded on 5 channels. So much better than stereo 2.0. I'm absolutly certain that Yamaha 3020 will be perfect for me and my room. And get the benefit to have all 11 speakers on at the same time. So with that in mind, I know for sure that making more channels out of a fem sounds incredible. I must admit I choked up at the very end.. damn good movie that is! Well, I'm used to silly 3.1 so far, with god awful speakers, so moving up to 5.1 with Yamaha sounded very impressive and the rest of the speakers for the 11.1 will be here shortly.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Liked: 0
Did you finish your project successfuly?
I moved to a new house and trying to connect
7.1 main room
Stereo in patio
Stereo in Kitchen

Do i need to buy extra receiver or i have 2 powered zones?

Thanks
post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You only have 9 powered channels. If you buy impedance matching volume controls for the patio and kitchen, you can use the 3020 alone, if you want to dedicate zone 2 to kitchen and zone 3 to patio you will need an amp.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A3020 by PriceGrabber.com