I just can't decide: RX-A720 or Denon 2113CI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone...I believe I've norrowed my research down to two receviers, RX-A720 and Denon 2113CI. I'm struggling which receiver to go with. I currently have an older Denon and have had zero problems with it. I'll be connecting this to 5.1 with samsung 3D TV. Is one easier to set up than the other? Does one support video better than the other? I'm interested in playing songs via iPad? Does one have an app that's better than the other? Thanks for an thoughts you have in helping me make this decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvglaser View Post

Hi everyone...I believe I've norrowed my research down to two receviers, RX-A720 and Denon 2113CI. I'm struggling which receiver to go with. I currently have an older Denon and have had zero problems with it. I'll be connecting this to 5.1 with samsung 3D TV. Is one easier to set up than the other? Does one support video better than the other? I'm interested in playing songs via iPad? Does one have an app that's better than the other? Thanks for an thoughts you have in helping me make this decision.

I'm struggling on my decision too. If I get a Yamaha it will be the RX-A720 because the RX-V line such as the RX-V673 has to have the same audio source as the main room. Even the RX-V773, which has a 2nd HDMI out, has to have the same source.

The recurring opinion I see here is that Audyssey of the Denon's is superior to the YPAO of the Yamaha.

Spaznik posted in my thread with the following:
Quote:
Also I think the convenience of on the fly switching between 7.1 and 5.1 with powered zone 2 stereo is really nice on the Yamaha. On the denon you have to wire it up for one or the other and go change the wires to change setups. The Yamaha just changes where the last two amps send their power based on the situation. That seems great because it allows for 7.1 and powered zone 2 sound without an external amp or second reciever.

This isn't so much of a deal breaker to me. I currently only have a 5.1 setup in my living room. I'm still up in the air.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM

For some reason there seems to be more issues with the new denon's so i chose yamaha!!!!
post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 AM

Any other thoughts from Denon or Yamaha owners?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
With the new Denon's you can use Airplay in Zone2 and have a different source in zone 1 (such as a movie). Not sure how the Yamaha uses Airplay in Zone 2.

Afro GT
post #6 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Really, I've had nothing but problems with Yamaha receivers. I bought the RX-A710 and had all kinds of HDMI handshake and HDCP problems. Exchanged for a Denon AVR-2312ci and have none of those problems now. Yamaha is known to have HDMI handshake problems with other equipment so it's best to make sure through searching they are compatible.

I wouldn't even consider a AVR-**13 model Denon. This years models take so many features away it's nuts. They only gain a few things but give up so many more. The Yamaha RX-A720 doesn't give up anything and would be my pick but that's only if they have resolved the HDMI issues.

Other makers have also done a lot of give aways with their new 2012/2013 model line, and is why I searched out a 2011/2012 model made by Denon.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM

I can add three things to this conversation. First, the weight of each product is very different. The Denon is a mere 22 or 23 pounds. The Yamaha is more. I don't know a lot, but I think the weight of the receiver means something . . . heavier being better..

Second, the app for Yamaha is pretty damn snazzy. Airplay works with the Yamaha in zone 2 as well.

Third, and most importantly, customer service for Denon is very poor in comparison to Yamaha. I was trying to make the same decision with these two models and some guy with a four letter name (Chad?) who worked for Denon actually hung up on me! Then as lack-of-luck would have it, I got him again when I called back and even a third time later on. He was terribly rude each time and it was obvious he did not like his job. Imagine if you need technical support and you have to talk to someone who hangs up on you and treats you with disdain. I chose the Yamaha for that reason. I will never consider a receiver made by Denon or their parent company again.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Your loss to make a decision on a brand based on the response of a single CSR (and a 3rd party contractor at that).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Not based solely. There were other considerations, that idiot just made it easier to decide. And I'm very happy with my choice at this point. It's been a couple weeks and I've gotten everything to work with the help of CSR's. I've had very good customer service experiences with Yamaha which sincerely made for a very positive experience.

If I have to call a CSR for help I don't want to be condescended to or otherwise be treated poorly. That's human nature. I'm glad of my choice and the Yamaha is fantastic.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Yamaha easily lets your stream from Android devices through its controller app. Not just Airplay. Yamaha has an audio output to expand a main zone with an additional amp/receiver. You have to get the 3313 $1000 in Denon to get an audio output. Yamaha 773 and 820 and above will send digital sources to zone 2 in party mode. Denon requires you to duplicate digital sources with analog for zone 2, until you get to +$1000 models. Yamaha has 12V trigger out on its mid priced receivers vs. +$1000 for Denon. Yamaha can go in standby if left on for 12 hours without activity, Denon will only go for about an hour. I've had lots of quality control issues with Denon's, even ci.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 03:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
The 2313CI model (MSRP $849) actually features an analog output and a 12v trigger, although all of the CI models feature a Zone 2 pre-out which can also be used as well to expand the main zone audio. It's not that inconvenient to add an analog cable to an HDMI source to pass the audio to Zone 2, especially considering the vast majority of AVRs require this configuration. Also, I think most would agree they'd prefer to have the AVR shut down to Standby sooner rather than later with no activity ... why wait 12 hours? confused.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12 of 13 Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Hi
I just had the same problem a week ago. I went with the rx- a720. Denon has a little more power but the Yamaha is just a better receiver to me. Its easy to install.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

I wouldn't even consider a AVR-**13 model Denon. This years models take so many features away it's nuts. They only gain a few things but give up so many more.

Other makers have also done a lot of give aways with their new 2012/2013 model line, and is why I searched out a 2011/2012 model made by Denon.

What exactly did they take away?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page