If You Were Buying A new Pre-Pro (Or AVR) Today, $2500.00 Or Less budget, For Best Performance, Features and Value, What Would You Buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been looking into my best options for a pre-pro to replace an Onkyo Pro SC-886. I would greatly prefer a pre/pro, but given the limited options available, would consider an AVR if it was the best choice/value. As far as pre-pros, I've pondered the Integra 80.3, and the Marantz AV-7005, but had to rule it out due to lack of XT32. I also need something that I can depend for an extended number of years, so being up to date with current features is very important. And while 4k video is quite a ways away, I would be concerned that not at least having a pass through might force me to upgrade before I wanted to. In the end, performance, and reliability are the key factors.

The situation has now been complicated by the failure of my fifteen year old amplifier previously used for the front left and right channel mains. I do have an additional five channel Sunfire amplifier, but that leaves me without ampliification for two surround channels. In a perfect world, if there was an AVR with preamp performance comparable to something along the lines of the 80.3, I could use two of its channels of amplification to power the remaining two surround channels,and use my five channel Sunfire for the mains, center and primary surrounds. The amplification from the receiver would have to be substantial though, because, while my room is not that large, my large speakers are inefficient and require a great deal of power to reach realistic levels for movies. I would need something on the order of 150wpc into 4 ohms, minimum. That would save me buying an additional stand alone two channel amp.

Please note that the pre/pro or AVR purchased will be used strictly for home theater. Music is dealt with elsewhere. I would really like to have Airplay and access to internet feeds like Pandora, if possible, but that isn't critical.So, given the constraints above, what would you buy? And again, my budget is up to $2,500.00 but if I can get the same performance and features for less, that would be great. Any recommendations, expertise or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Onkyo and Marantz and supposed to be releasing new processors in the $2500 range sometime later this year. Also Emotiva is claiming a high end processor - not the XMC - to come to match their new reference series amps. I am also looking for a pre-pro but this is the lull time before new products come out this fall.

Right now the Onkyo 5508 seems the most feature packed but no 4k or AirPlay.
post #3 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
a denon 4311 would not be the worst choice in the world....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

a denon 4311 would not be the worst choice in the world....

I agree smile.gif. The current close out pricing of the 4311 is roughly half of your $2500 budget.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I agree smile.gif. The current close out pricing of the 4311 is roughly half of your $2500 budget.
Bill

Thanks for your thoughts on the 4311, and no doubt the value is there, but how good is it in comparison to a solid pre/pro? Is it better than my current SC886? And that's a two year old unit, and it's hard to believe it is up to date in terms of features and ideal for extended future use? Or is it?

John
post #6 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I keep talking in the future---
Denon has a replacement for the 4311 coming in September I believe. The 4520ci. Not much info out there yet on it.

Do you see a need for balanced XLR connections? None of the receivers I am aware of have them.
post #7 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

Quote:

Bill

Thanks for your thoughts on the 4311, and no doubt the value is there, but how good is it in comparison to a solid pre/pro? Is it better than my current SC886? And that's a two year old unit, and it's hard to believe it is up to date in terms of features and ideal for extended future use? Or is it?

John

i went from an av7005/bryston 9b-st to a 4311 (a100 actually) and i would not go back... previous to that, i had an integra 9.9 (used the bryaton with that as well) that i DEFINITELY would not go back to...

realistically, there's been a grand total of zero new technology introduced in the last two years...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

John

The 4311 replaced the 886 I had in my system for about three years. I would say the 4311 is better than the 886. The biggest difference is XT32 which IMO is a big improvement over XT. Of course the 4311 has other more up to date features that the 886 does not have. But for me SQ is key and I'm quite happy with the 4311 especially with music.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #9 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes... xt32 is the real deal...

imo/ime... the "differences" between any "modern" pieces of equipment (once you get past features and get to sound quality) are all directly attributable to the dsp, specifically their room correction routines, and even more specifically, their efficacy below the schroeder frequency...

dacs have long been transparent...

amplifier technology is very mature...

etc.

- chris

post #10 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

But for me SQ is key and I'm quite happy with the 4311 especially with music.

Same here, Bill.

Hey-Happy 4th everyone wink.gif

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #11 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thannks to everyone for the suggestions thus far, and I also wish a Happy 4th to all.

John
post #12 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:

i went from an av7005/bryston 9b-st to a 4311 (a100 actually) and i would not go back... previous to that, i had an integra 9.9 (used the bryaton with that as well) that i DEFINITELY would not go back to...
realistically, there's been a grand total of zero new technology introduced in the last two years...

I currently have an Integra DTC-9.8 in which the video board went out - debating on whether or not to get the video board replaced or to replace the unit itself.

Sounds like you believe the Denon 4311 was better for your system than the Integra DTC-9.9? What were the issues wiht the Integra ( I have had no issues until now with the 9.8 ) and what do you like about the Denon that is better?

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #13 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

click... click... click... click... click... wink.gif

plus it was ugly... and had the occasional glitch, which annoyed me to no end... i'm not very tolerant of glitches/quirks...

what's better? other than the lack of clicks (the 4311 has a few too) and glitches/quirks, it's basically what i posted before... the eq is superior...

another motivating factor for me is that i no longer require separate amplification...

i am firmly in the objectivist camp... objectively, xt32 provides a better result than xt (and better than xt + the antimode i used)...

i've been through my share of hardware... redface.gif including both of the last 2 pioneer flagships (59 and 09), and also currently have a denon 5800 in my wife's kingdom... while the susano remains the power/connectivity king, i wouldn't trade my a100 for one...

as alluded to earlier, amplifier/dac/etc. technology is mature... run within spec, the only thing that really distinguishes any modern ss equipment (that isn't complete garbage) from a "sound quality" perspective is the dsp...

not that other things don't (or shouldn't, ftm) come into play... for example, given their recent history, you couldn't get me to even consider an onkyo/integra product...

others will post different opinions, and that's fine... objective controlled testing is not on their side...

- chris

post #14 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And honestly, if an A100 was available at a reasonable price, I might buy one.

John

Quote:

^^^
click... click... click... click... click... wink.gif
plus it was ugly... and had the occasional glitch, which annoyed me to no end... i'm not very tolerant of glitches/quirks...
what's better? other than the lack of clicks (the 4311 has a few too) and glitches/quirks, it's basically what i posted before... the eq is superior...
another motivating factor for me is that i no longer require separate amplification...
i am firmly in the objectivist camp... objectively, xt32 provides a better result than xt (and better than xt + the antimode i used)...
i've been through my share of hardware... redface.gif including both of the last 2 pioneer flagships (59 and 09), and also currently have a denon 5800 in my wife's kingdom... while the susano remains the power/connectivity king, i wouldn't trade my a100 for one...
as alluded to earlier, amplifier/dac/etc. technology is mature... run within spec, the only thing that really distinguishes any modern ss equipment (that isn't complete garbage) from a "sound quality" perspective is the dsp...
not that other things don't (or shouldn't, ftm) come into play... for example, given their recent history, you couldn't get me to even consider an onkyo/integra product...
others will post different opinions, and that's fine... objective controlled testing is not on their side...
post #15 of 57 Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:

And honestly, if an A100 was available at a reasonable price, I might buy one.
John

Thanks John, that was helpful feedback. I agree the Integra is ugly and I can live the clicks... I have enough separate amplification.

I "rented" a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 ( as a prepro only ) while my Integra video board is being replaced. Doesn't seem to be quite the SQ as the Integra but does have more features ( most of which I don't typically use ).

If my Integra goes out again I will look into the Denon ( or whatever its next-gen model happens to be ). Thanks again.

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #16 of 57 Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any AVR recommendations with 4k pass through? I know Onkyo offers that, and I believe the new Pioneer Elites also do. I really like the Elite line, and a friend has the SC57, which is great and I love the feature set. I would jump on the new SC-67 or SC-68 in a minute, except I am told that MCACC is simply not competitive with Audyssey, especially in XT32 guise. Correct?

John
post #17 of 57 Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

correct... the area where eq is most important, and where everyone will have issues, is the area that mcacc does not address... one of the reasons i am no longer a pio ho' is because of this shortcoming*...

if you do go with a pio, i would suggest adding in an antimode, or some type of manual subwoofer eq if you are handy with measuring equipment...

pretty much all of this year's avrs will support 4k passthrough... imo, not all that important, if at all, since 4k sources are a long way off...

* and i was a pio ho' for a long time... it certainly wasn't because of me that they have financial woes.... tongue.gif

- chris

post #18 of 57 Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote name="ccotenj" i went from an av7005/bryston 9b-st to a 4311 (a100 actually) and i would not go back... previous to that, i had an integra 9.9 (used the bryaton with that as well) that i DEFINITELY would not go back to...
realistically, there's been a grand total of zero new technology introduced in the last two years...[/quote]

Well, I somehow missed this detail earlier, but this is a very helpful commentary ccotenj. If you honestly prefer the 4311 to the av7005/9BST combo, thats not only a very significant in terns of the quality of the 4311's pre/pr section, but a ringing endorsement of the quality of the 4311's amplification. I was about to replace a separate amplifier that just started failing in my system, and you may well have saved me some money. Thanks.

John
post #19 of 57 Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bill

Bill, could you please pm me with where the 4300ci is available from an authorized dealer at this price. I've not seen it offered quite that low. The previous site that was offering it at a greatly reduced price now only has it available at near list. Thanks.

John
post #20 of 57 Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One last question about the 4311, while I work through my final best options, is anyone using it to drive four ohm speakers? I know there have been mixed reviews of how the power sections of some AVR's are able to address this.Thanks for any input regarding this.

John
post #21 of 57 Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:

Bill, could you please pm me with where the 4300ci is available from an authorized dealer at this price. I've not seen it offered quite that low. The previous site that was offering it at a greatly reduced price now only has it available at near list. Thanks.
John

Pick up the phone and "call" one of several authorized resellers to include AV Science, Electronics Expo, and J&R.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1388717/denon-4311ci-ee-for-1329-99/0_100

Quote:

One last question about the 4311, while I work through my final best options, is anyone using it to drive four ohm speakers? I know there have been mixed reviews of how the power sections of some AVR's are able to address this.Thanks for any input regarding this.
John

Several 4311CI/A100 owners are doing this without the need for external amplification. Post in the Denon AVR-4311CI/A100 Owner's thread for more feedback from current owners.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #22 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

[quote name="ccotenj" i went from an av7005/bryston 9b-st to a 4311 (a100 actually) and i would not go back... previous to that, i had an integra 9.9 (used the bryaton with that as well) that i DEFINITELY would not go back to...

Well, I somehow missed this detail earlier, but this is a very helpful commentary ccotenj. If you honestly prefer the 4311 to the av7005/9BST combo, thats not only a very significant in terns of the quality of the 4311's pre/pr section, but a ringing endorsement of the quality of the 4311's amplification. I was about to replace a separate amplifier that just started failing in my system, and you may well have saved me some money. Thanks.

John[/quote]

you are welcome... smile.gif always glad to save people money... wink.gif

no problem with 4 ohm speakers... my "not easy, but not ridiculously hard" to drive salks (ht2-tl's, ht2c, ht-1 surrounds) are fine with it... albeit in a reasonably small (14x16) room, and they are crossed at 80hz... i tried very hard to put the unit into protection before i sold the bryston, just to make sure...

the fact that the a100 has lasted this long in my setup says something... i'm a hardware geek, and love shiny new toys... redface.gif

one man's experience, anyway...

too bad you aren't closer, otherwise, you could hear for yourself... smile.gif

- chris

post #23 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I have a 4311 and a 5 channel NAD T955 amp that I use for the LCR and main surrounds. The 4311 drives the other 6 in a 11.2 setup. For what it's worth, 2 of the 6 are 4 ohm and it has no problem with them. I never play at reference volumes. The loudest is maybe -15 db.

I think the T955 amps sound slightly better than the ones in the 4311, but the 4311 amps sound fine. The 4311 is an awesome pre-amp. It's close to 2 years old, but feature for feature, it's as good as anything out there.

I was slightly worried about 4K, but it won't be usable until 2015 or later and I think there's a chance whatever you buy to support it today may be obsolete by the time you can actually use it.
post #24 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Actually with the latest pricing of the Onkyo 3009 it makes it the best bang for the buck. Especially if one wanted to use it as a pre-pro. Combined with XT32 (with SubEQ) you get the best video processing to date in a Receiver. I have decided to keep it (for now). I will check out the new Denon this September but for now I'm good. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #25 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 553
As an owner of a number of different (Pioneer and Onkyo receivers) and now the 4311 I would strongly recommend the Denon. I had an Onkyo die in about two years - HDMI board - and still can't get past the quality problems they have had in the past. Also is the 3009 pro kit ready? That Audyssey upgrade can make a huge difference. I don't understand those who buy receivers based on video processing. For me it is about sound and room correction. A good display and/or blu-ray player should handle the video side just fine. 4k? Providers can't provide bandwidth now to avoid compressing the heck out of HD channels, how will they handle the additional requirements of a 4k signal? Garbage in garbage out - no video processor is going to fix a crappy signal or poorly authored DVD.

I was reminded of just how good the Denon is last night listing to my just arrived SACD of Pirates (Rickie Lee). Slowly the sound level increased to near reference - great disc by the way (Bill time to buy another). The Denon has only made my addiction to that format worse. Joerod I respect your opinion and enjoy reading your reviews but I can't help but feel a slight bias towards Onkyo. Apologies if that sense is wrong. Right now the Denon is one of the best deals for a receiver that can do 11.2 (with help) and has XT32. Add AirPlay, Internet radio, Pandora, 3-D pass through and the only thing it doesn't do is 4k. That isn't keeping me up at nights.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #26 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I was reminded of just how good the Denon is last night listing to my just arrived SACD of Pirates (Rickie Lee). Slowly the sound level increased to near reference - great disc by the way (Bill time to buy another).

Thanks smile.gif! I'll have to check out the Rickie Lee Pirates SACD. Like I need much prodding to buy more SACDs biggrin.gif.

I was lucky in that I did not have any issues with the three Onkyos (805, 885 and 886) I owned. The one negative of using an Onkyo AVR as a prepro is the screwed up way the 12v triggers are setup rolleyes.gif. So I'll also jump on the 4311 band wagon as it has been a trouble free excellent sounding prepro. Maybe one of these days I'll connect all my speakers to the 4311 to see how it sounds. The one big advantage of using an AVR as a prepro is if your amp craps out. All you have to do is recable and get right back to business wink.gif.

I wanted add that another reason I went with the 4311 is the lack of issues reported with it. Plus a number of members here on AVS that I respect very much and value SQ above all own the 4311/A100.

Bill

post #27 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
All brands have issues. The first 4311 I had here did not put out sound! eek.gif

Video Processing can be very important for those with cable and satellite. Especially for those without VPs. Either way if sound is your only priority then the 4311 will get the job done. I just like the Onkyo sound for my tastes. THX Loudness Plus and DTS Neo: X are a couple of more features I like. Still you can't go wrong with either or. I expect great things from the new Denon hitting in September.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #28 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

All brands have issues. The first 4311 I had here did not put out sound! eek.gif
Video Processing can be very important for those with cable and satellite. Especially for those without VPs. Either way if sound is your only priority then the 4311 will get the job done. I just like the Onkyo sound for my tastes. THX Loudness Plus and DTS Neo: X are a couple of more features I like. Still you can't go wrong with either or. I expect great things from the new Denon hitting in September.
\

Good points, Joe. I've got cable, and no standalone VP, so video processing is extremely important to me. Especially as I will only be using two channels of amplification from the receiver for my secondary surrounds.

John
post #29 of 57 Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
As a bryston 9b owner whomis looking for a pre pro, i find somw ofmthe comments on the denon very very interesting. This so becuase in my case you could use the pre pro in the denonwith external amp and use the internal denon amp to power some other zones.

I was leaning towards the onkyo/integra prempro duento balanced connections. But i think ill look into the denon now
post #30 of 57 Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 801
John Clark wrote: "The situation has now been complicated by the failure of my fifteen year old amplifier previously used for the front left and right channel mains. I do have an additional five channel Sunfire amplifier, but that leaves me without ampliification for two surround channels. In a perfect world, if there was an AVR with preamp performance comparable to something along the lines of the 80.3, I could use two of its channels of amplification to power the remaining two surround channels,and use my five channel Sunfire for the mains, center and primary surrounds."

Have you considered simply a decent 7.2 receive with pre-outs to hook up to your Sunfire as opposed to spending the full budget of $2,500.00? Is the difference in sound quality going set your soul on fire?

Sunfire; Mmmmmmmmmmmm. biggrin.gif

I'm big on sound quality and find speakers and Amps are first on my list of considerations and second, DACs and transports; all of which are important components in the information stream. Are you in it for music or theater? One being primary and the other secondary. Are you into critical listening all the time or just in it for some good, all around sound quality to accompany the video or evening experience? Are you a horn kind-a-guy or a ribbon kind-of-guy? Are you a tube guy, a solid state (SS) guy or a hybrid of both? For music, I'm tubes, for movies, I'm SS. The point, stating the obvious, in the end, how you expect to use your system will determine what direction you should go.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page