A bit of a dilemma. Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just purchased the Pioneer VSX-926-K Receiver at Future Shop. I had to "order" it cause it was out of stock. They said it would come in either tomorrow or Monday. It cost me $399 + tax.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-840-watt-7-1-channel-3d-hdmi-home-theatre-receiver-vsx-926-k-vsx-926-k/10172252.aspx?path=27b715a830edd1e48b5ee5f746776dd2en02

I came across this ad on Kijiji for a Sony STR-K900 5.1 700 Watt AVR with HDMI for $165.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Sony-5-1-700-Watt-AVR-with-HDMI-STR-K900-W0QQAdIdZ392393347

I do want to think long term here but would it be a sensible decision (even financially) to get my money back for the Pioneer and go for the Sony? The pioneer has all the new codecs for Dolby and DTS. Plus it's 7.1 so if I wanted I can add two more speakers later which I can't with the Sony. But the Sony does have HDMI which is what I mainly want. I really don't know what to do. I know it's ultimately my choice but a little help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I think you should stay with the Pioneer. It does in fact have HDMI. It also features networking and lossless audio decoding for flac among many other features.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I think you should stay with the Pioneer. It does in fact have HDMI. It also features networking and lossless audio decoding for flac among many other features.

Yes and I'd love to have all the new audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Nonetheless financially it might be better to step back and go with the Sony. The question is whether or not I'll regret it in the long run. I emailed the seller of the Sony and he said he could drop the price to $150. That's a lot better then $400 (+tax).
post #4 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
The Sony is an antiquated DD/DTS receiver with HDMI "pass through" only meaning an HDMI signal is simply passed through to the TV and not processed by the receiver so unless you want to use the TV's speakers when playing the HDMI source you would also need to connect either analog or optical cable from your HDMI source to get audio to the surround speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Sony is an antiquated DD/DTS receiver with HDMI "pass through" only meaning an HDMI signal is simply passed through to the TV and not processed by the receiver so unless you want to use the TV's speakers when playing the HDMI source you would also need to connect either analog or optical cable from your HDMI source to get audio to the surround speakers.

So in essence the HDMI ports on the Sony receiver are pointless?? I just think financially speaking it might be better to go with the Sony but I have a feeling I'd regret down the road not getting the Pioneer receiver.

So how does a current receiver process HDMI?? How is it different then passing it through to the TV?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM
585-645-1006

A current (at least within the past 3 years or so) will process the HDMI audio and pass it to the surround speakers while sending the video on to the TV. You'll likely find something newer than the Sony yet still in your $200 or less budget. Keep checking the classifieds.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #7 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A current (at least within the past 3 years or so) will process the HDMI audio and pass it to the surround speakers while sending the video on to the TV. You'll likely find something newer than the Sony yet still in your $200 or less budget. Keep checking the classifieds.

What about this? Is this a good deal?

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Beautiful-Home-Theatre-Audio-System-Package-Polk-Sony-5-1-7-1-W0QQAdIdZ390138295
post #8 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone think that's a good deal??
post #9 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

Does anyone think that's a good deal??

Uh, no.

Stick with the $399 Pioneer and pray you like the sound.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Uh, no.
Stick with the $399 Pioneer and pray you like the sound.

I'm sure I will like it. I just don't know if I should go through with it or "return it" and go with the Sony one mentioned in the beginning of this thread cause it's much cheaper.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hm, with your speakers and your TV, you are not getting much benefit from the HD sound formats and HDMI inputs of the Pioneer.

You shoudl get the cheapest AVR you can, then start building up the rest of your equipment. Get a good monitor and if you want good sound, get good speakers (much, much more important than what you amplify the sound with). By the time you get these, the AVR you buy now will be getting long in the tooth already. Then you can start worrying about getting a good AVR with good room correction and whatever "good" new tech they come out with by then.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

Hm, with your speakers and your TV, you are not getting much benefit from the HD sound formats and HDMI inputs of the Pioneer.
You shoudl get the cheapest AVR you can, then start building up the rest of your equipment. Get a good monitor and if you want good sound, get good speakers (much, much more important than what you amplify the sound with). By the time you get these, the AVR you buy now will be getting long in the tooth already. Then you can start worrying about getting a good AVR with good room correction and whatever "good" new tech they come out with by then.

So are you saying at this time the Sony would not be a bad choice to go with?? My speakers are a 5 piece Panasonic (similar size to the Bose "double cube" speakers) and a powered Polk Audio Sub PSW10. I bought both off Kijiji. Would the Pioneer receiver be that much outdated by even this Christmas??

I'd like to get an HDTV like this: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-40-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-40pfl7505d-f7e-refurbished-40pfl7505d-f7e/10203316.aspx?path=b26a65582a134f469828246793565974en02 ... I don't need really anything bigger then 40" so something like this would do. But i guess I should discuss my TV options in another part of this site.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

Not really no. Why buy another set of mediocre speakers when all you need is an AVR? Although I'm confused as to why if you're uncomfortable spending $399 for the Pioneer, you are okay with spending $700 for another setup? I would look for "open box" deals or check for any authorized refurbished resellers in your area as buying either open box or refurb would also likely come with a short term warranty as well. Other than perhaps spending a little more than they had budgeted on an AVR, you rarely find someone that regretted the decision with the higher model, rather more often then not, you find the person who went with the lower model regretting they didn't purchase the next higher model.

As you're unlikely to find anything much less expensive than the Pioneer, you're likely better served just keeping it which comes with a 2 year warranty whereas buying from the classifieds you have no idea of the true condition of the AVR and no warranty should something fail on it. Just enjoy your new AVR and put all this unnecessary worry behind you. smile.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page