Receiver that has Zone A, Zone B and a Zone 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My configuration is 5.1 in the family room, two more speakers in the adjoining kitchen (there is open space between the family room and the kitchen) and two speakers on the deck.

I would like the deck to be separate zone so that I can play separate music on those speakers. The music would mostly be internet radio, or airplay from my phone. I know some receivers have only analog input to the second zone. Is the airplay considered analog signal?

For the main zone, I want to have the option where for the most part the system would operate in 5.1 mode (family room only) when watching tv, etc, but be able to turn on the kitchen speakers and have a 7.1 zone. The same signal would be played on all speakers.

Which receiver would accommodate this set up? Would it be something like the Onkyo 616 that has 3 zones? The budget is $500 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

C'mon guys help me out here. I am sure somebody has this configuration, or can quickly check and let me know.

Pioneer 1122 perhaps?

Does Zone B work when Zone 2 is on?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There are lots of options for you, but you budget is too small.

On the Denon AVR-xx13, you can have independent AirPlay to a second zone.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

While Zone A and Zone B are operating? It seems that on some receivers once Zone 2 is turned on Zone B is turned off.

On the Denon 1913 I do not even see the connection for Zone B.

On Yamaha 673 and Pioneer 1122 I see conection for 5.1, plus connection for 2 more speakers in a 7.1 configuration and then a separate connection for Zone 2 for additional two speakers. Just not sure if all can play at the same time.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's try your question again, but using the standard language for the Zones.

Zone A is called Main Zone, or Zone 1. This is where your 5.1/7.1 is.
There is no such thing as Zone B. It would be Zone 2.
If you want a third Zone, call it Zone 3.

Yes, certain receivers can independently control sources (and on/off) for three independent Zones. You'll typically need a separate amp to power a third zone.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I currently have Pioneer 1012. It has the capability of Zone A and Zone B.

5.1 speakers are connected to Zone A, and 2 more are connected to Zone B. When Zone A and Zone B are turned on, then all speakers play the same source (so this is a 7.1 configuration that I refer to).

I would like the ability to have Zone 2 that will play a a different signal, powered or not. I guess I can buy a separate amp to power the Zone 2 speakers.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshema View Post

5.1 speakers are connected to Zone A, and 2 more are connected to Zone B. When Zone A and Zone B are turned on, then all speakers play the same source (so this is a 7.1 configuration that I refer to).
I would like the ability to have Zone 2 that will play a a different signal, powered or not. I guess I can buy a separate amp to power the Zone 2 speakers.

Yes, that is your best solution. Only Pioneer uses this nebulous "Zone B" feature/terminology. Strange, but it could be useful in certain instances. Every other manufacturer for the past 20+ years uses the traditional Zone 1/2/3/4 designation.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshema View Post

Yes, the term "Zone B" is a bit confusing to be sure. Other brands use something similar called "Front B" speakers which simply duplicate the same signal passed to the Front A speakers. These posts are more often used when a 2nd set of front speakers is used in the main zone for "stereo music listening only"; however, can be placed in another room as well. In the case of Denon, although older models have a dedicated set of "Front B" speaker posts, the newer models have done away with them with the 7.1 models providing the "Front B" feature by using the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts. These posts can be used for Surr Back, Front B, or Zone 2 speakers so if you use them for "Front B" you give up the powered Zone 2 feature and would need to use Zone 2 pre-outs to an external amp to power Zone 2. Note that although Zone 2 has independent source/volume control, only "analog" external devices can pass to Zone 2 (although internet radio and Airplay will pass to Zone 2), so you would need to connect analog cables in addition to the HDMI cable if you also wanted to pass that source to Zone 2. You mentioned the Denon 1913 which although is 7.1 and has the "Front B" capability mentioned above, does not include Zone 2 pre-outs which start on the next model up, the 2113CI.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

So the 1122 will have the ability ti have Zone B turned on (7.1) with the same signal with the Zone 1, and have a second signal be sent to Zone 2. Is Zone 2 powered or wil I need an external amp?

Yamaha 673 has a similar speaker output configuration on the back. I spoke with their support regarding 571 who does not have that capability. Maybe I should call Pioneer and ask them specifically. However it would be nice if an owner confirms that the configuration works, .
post #10 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
The 1122 is a 7.2 AVR and refers to them as "Speaker B" rather than "Zone B" using the FW/FH/Speaker B speaker posts and would require an external amp fro Zone 2 speakers just as is the case with the Denon 2113CI. You would need a 9.1 (7.1+2.0=9.1) AVR to have 7.1+Zone 2 all powered by the AVR.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page