How should I setup my receiver with my other components (ps3, boxee) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a Yamaha v673 to power my 5.1 setup. I'm new to audio and I'm trying to figure out all the standards as well as what are the best settings/methods for connecting to my other components.

So my questions are:

Currently my tv (panasonic 3D plasma) is connected to the receiver by hdmi and optical, is this the best method if I want all the audio to go through my speakers instead of the tv?

I have a boxee box connected to my tv via hdmi and I use it mostly to watch ripped DVDs. What sound mode should I be using if I want to hear the DVDs native surround sound?

Same question but for my ps3, which is connected directly to the avr via hdmi. I use the ps3 for DVDs and blu ray.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Is this one of those things where I need to research for hours on end and no wants to share their experience because it was such a pain in the ass?

Really my question seems like it would apply to any type of setup and not just a v673.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'm not sure why you would think it would takes hours try play around with the sound modes on the your receiver. Use the "Straight" DSP mode if you want the audio as-is without any processing, otherwise which sound mode to use is a matter of preference and is up to you to decide which you like.

You might end up needing to hook up your Boxee Box through your receiver instead of directly to the TV. The optical cable isn't capable transmitting all the audio formats that HDMI is capable of and your TV may restrict them even further.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM

I'd run HDMI from the PS3 and boxee box to the yamaha, then 1 HDMI out to TV. Done and done. no need for any other optical connections or anything.
up to you to play around with the DSP modes. i like straight or surround processor modes, though i occasionally play with the movie modes too.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I thought optical would be the best, I didn't know it had limitations.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Most manuals for tv's and avr's beginning section for connections give you the hierarchy of connection types. Running HDMI from your AVR to tv with everything else connected to your avr is ideal generally, but If your tv and avr do not have ARC then you may need the optical for sound for tv-based sources (some tv's for hdmi sources may only output 2 channel PCM, too). Which tv is it?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Its a 46" panasonic plasma TC-46PGT24 (costco exclusive). The tv does support arc but it appears to only output 2 channel PCM:(

The boxee now sounds good when hooked directly to the avr but now I'm out of wired connections (ps3, avr, and boxee) so now I need a switch.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page