Getting a AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm interested in buying my first receiver. I'm a complete noob. I never used receivers or audio setups. But I'm finally taking the leap, because I want better audio quality. Can you guys help me out? I don't know anything about watts or other terms or what I should care for in a good receiver. I want a mid-range receiver, not to expensive. I want to connect a blu-ray player (3D), mediaplayer, XBOX 360, Wii, Stereo speakers, a dock for an iOS device if that's possible (because I read it doesn't support airplay) and of course the TV.

I'm thinking about the Onkyo TX-NR609, because it got good reviews and this is also my price point. What should I look for in a good receiver?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 AM

Don't worry about watts per channel. It's basically meaningless in a narrow price range that you are looking in. Make sure it has enough HDMI inputs. If you need to upscale any inputs, Wii for example, make sure it does that too. Qdeo in the 609 line does upscale but not as well as the HQV chips in the higher models.

The biggest thing I'd look for is room correction capability. The 609 has 2EQ which won't EQ a sub. It may be that a MultiEQ XT receiver is out of your price range - the 709 has it but not sure if you can still find them.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Watts aren't important with mid-range receivers? I read something about power decreasing or something when you add more speakers. When you have a 100W receiver and you have two speakers, it will be 2x50W and when you have 7 speakers it will be 7x14W. Do you know something about this?
Is it for me really noticeable that the Qdeo isn't as good as HQV? Because now I'm just using my Wii with a component cable.
Do you use upscale a lot on a receiver?
I probably think that a MultiEQ XT receiver is indeed out of my price range, but I do think 2EQ is too basic. So maybe you have some recommendations for a receiver with MultiEQ ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page