Help with potential system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been saving to buy my first legitimate audio system for a few years now and am finally ready to make a few purchases. Doing the research as to what to buy has been fun but intimidating to say the least.

A friend of mine is really into AV suggested that I veer from a pure audio route and purchase an AV processor. He swears that music through his Integra sounds great, including vinyl.

My budget could include the Integra 80.3, a pair of Vandersteen speakers, and the Emotiva XPA-2 amp.

Reading posts from other audiophiles though makes me nervous. There seems to be serous doubt that I can safely mix the two and many AV guys seems to focus more on the "V" than the "A". If I've always wanted an amazing audio setup, am I bastardizing this dream by bringing video into the mix?

Should I put my $ into a great analog pre instead of one that is devoted to video and audio?

I appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 AM

IMHO, I would go for versatility with my first system. It seems most guys that devote to 2 channel audio use tube amps and turntables.
The rest of us use our systems for a variety of sources - music (whether from cd, vinyl, or other formats,) movies, tv or gaming.

If you don't see yourself going to surround sound, I'd agree that you should look a great pre-amp for 2 channel audio, and your other choices are very popular options.

I really enjoy the impact of home theater and a great sound system, but I also enjoy critcal 2-channel listening, so I have gone with a good AVR and some good speakers in 7.2 surround.

Going this route, I'm sure I've made compromises compared to strictly either home theater or strictly 2 channel audio, but I and my family are happy, so that is what is important in the end.

If it were me, I'd wait on the amp, and look at a sub, a center, and a pair of surrounds.

Mike
post #3 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean by wait on the amp?
post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 PM

Never mind, I just looked up the Integra 80.3 and realized it is a pre-pro, not an AVR.

That being the case, ignore my un-researched opinion, and dig in! You could always add a Emotiva XPA-5 and a center and two surrounds at some later point, if you decide to venture into home theater.

You might try asking for opinions in the 2 channel audio section of this forum regarding a preamp that is just two channel instead of a AV-type pre-pro.

Sorry again about my confusion!

Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page