Upgrading my tv to 3d, which unfortunately means my relatively new (2yr old), relatively expensive receiver has to go. Have a few questions - I've read through the thread already & had most of them answered, so thanks!
Here's my "must have's / setup style":
* think I"ve settled on the 60LM7200 LG TV
* Receiver is video switcher (except for xbox, because freaking Kinect cable wouldn't support the run length back to closet)
* PS3, Uverse, AppleTV plugged in to receiver. (currently airport express - analog as well to get that function)
* Harmony one remote.
* Room is terrible - peaked celing, 15ft wide windows on back wall, open to kitchen, 3 doorways, etc. Audio "quality" is not the primary driving factor. When watching movies, I'll want: "gets loud, sub makes noise, stuff comes out of left, right back, I can hear people talking in center clearly " - pretty low expectations actually.
* mirage omnisats for surround speakers, to help balance the bad room
* Zone 2 for patio speakers
* Want Airplay, so I can get my airport express out of the mix
* Return audio from tv to receiver (because of stupid xbox)
Looking at the 1122 (or any receiver in the sub 500 range really) & have a couple of quick questions. I'm coming from an Elite VSX-21, so I'm quasi-familiar with Pio's "style" of setup.
1) Will airplay pass through to zone 2?
I know most zone 2 setups only pass analog. But I have seen on the higher end elites where it looks like they would pass airplay / internet connected to zone 2.
2) How hot does this thing run? My elite runs kinda hot & its all in a not so greatly vented closet (planning on fixing this as well)
3) Video stuff has changed a bit - my understanding is that they'll now pass the hdmi through without actually having to be on. Never been able to get the elite to do that. Does that mean that in standby, its still able to switch inputs as well? IE: if I want to change to PS3 from Uverse, but play sound through TV, do I have to power it on, then have it go back into standby?
4) Related to 3 above, how does it handle audio pass through / switching from TV to Receiver handling the output of the hdmi audio? Current receiver has the HDMI audio set in a submenu to go to TV or Receiver - its a big P.I.A. in my opinion, because it affects all kinds of crap & I can't get a discrete code for it in my harmony setup. That was probably my single biggest shock when setting up the last receiver - "What the hell do you MEAN it can't play audio on the receiver and the TV at the same time?" was kind of the theme.
5) Will ARC let my xbox feed the tv on a second HDMI input & then pass that audio back to receiver for playback? This is what I THINK its for, but I'm not familiar with ARC at all. Currently, my old sharp panel actually has RCA audio out, so I ran a 30 foot line back into one of the analog inputs to get people able to hear xbox on speakers & it works well enough. I don't think newer tv's have RCA outs anymore & I don't know that optical can run that far. (not concerned with Call of duty in 5.1, just getting it back to the thing period so my silly kids can play dance central with it thumpin)
Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice here.
Also, feel free to suggest other receivers, I'm not a diehard pioneer guy, (HK/Dennon in past) but I went that way because of all the HK / Onkyo problems I heard about, and the Denon stuff wasn't as inexpensive for my budget at the time to get the features I wanted.