Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 808 Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNL View Post

On the front of the amp is a button that cycles between A-speakers, B-speakers, A+B speakers, and no speakers. I use B speakers for the ceiling speakers in the Bedroom and Bathroom, as well as the patio. This way, I can select to play music in my living room (7.1, Speaker A), or the rest of the house (stereo, Speaker B), or both. B-speakers need an amp, so you sacrifice the front height/front wide surround channels for it.

Just to clarify Zone 2: According to the manual (p28-29) there are two ways to achieve Zone 2 (playing a different componenth than zone 1):
1. You can use the "Zone 2 out" RCA plugs and a separate Amp like Krutsch described
2. You can also run zone 2 speakers directly from the surround back speaker terminals, but you will only be able to play 5.1 on zone 1 (since you sacrificed the surround back amps to play zone 2).

Whoops... I forgot about that option, as I use the RCA connection. Good catch.
Quote:
I wish that there would be an option in the setup to choose whether the Front wide/high terminals would function as Zone 1 or Zone 2, this way you could have Zone 2 while still using 7.1.... Maybe in the next firmware? Pioneer? rolleyes.gif
F.

Not unless the F/W update finds a way to download additional amps to your AVR wink.gif

The limitation comes from the presence of 7 amplified channels - you can buy AVRs that have 9+ channels to do what you want, but the VSX-1122-K supports 7.2 channels only.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 808 Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Liked: 12
I just dropped my receiver off at fed ex. I thought about just ordering it again, but since I am back in the market, what would you guys suggest now? I like the pioneer and am still leaning towards that, but thought I would open it to suggestions.
post #453 of 808 Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just setting up my 1122, and when I turn it off then back on later, it always starts up again at the DVD input.

How do I get it to start up in the SAT/Cable input when I turn it back on?

Thanks.

Robert
post #454 of 808 Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Whoops... I forgot about that option, as I use the RCA connection. Good catch.
Not unless the F/W update finds a way to download additional amps to your AVR wink.gif

The limitation comes from the presence of 7 amplified channels - you can buy AVRs that have 9+ channels to do what you want, but the VSX-1122-K supports 7.2 channels only.

Oh, IC...you're right. I thought that with Front wide/high and biamping the amp supported 7.1, but it turns out the it goes to 5.1 in all cases, so there really are only 7 amps... I guess having a second Amp for zone 2 is the best solution then...

F
post #455 of 808 Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
HI All new here so please be gentle.

I purchased the VSX-1122 in early january and it installed into my system just fine. I have a Pioneer PDP 5080 plasma, Sony BD 500, Apple TV and Humax HDR-1000s Freesat box. All the periphs worked fine through the VSX until I did the latest update (was suggested to fix an internet radio prob). Ever since I have had considerable difficulty in getting the Humax HDMI signal to synch through the VSX. It can take some six or seven goes of turning on/off the Humax before it fully sychs (though mostly the sound does synch). All the other periphs are working just fine.

As a further test I got a different Humax freesat box (Different model) and find that this too will not work through the VSX.

These Humax boxes work just fine if I connect them directly to the Plasma, so I am guessing that there has been some change on the HDMI inputs after the lastest update. I have read through this thread but cannot seem to find anyone with a similar problem. Does anyone out there have any suggestions, I would very much appreciate any help you can give.

Jon
post #456 of 808 Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the receiver go to ext. Stereo instead of stereo, when it is on auto surround, and it doesn't have a digital signal. I know u can do it manually.
post #457 of 808 Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsc View Post

HI All new here so please be gentle.

I purchased the VSX-1122 in early january and it installed into my system just fine. I have a Pioneer PDP 5080 plasma, Sony BD 500, Apple TV and Humax HDR-1000s Freesat box. All the periphs worked fine through the VSX until I did the latest update (was suggested to fix an internet radio prob). Ever since I have had considerable difficulty in getting the Humax HDMI signal to synch through the VSX. It can take some six or seven goes of turning on/off the Humax before it fully sychs (though mostly the sound does synch). All the other periphs are working just fine.

As a further test I got a different Humax freesat box (Different model) and find that this too will not work through the VSX.

These Humax boxes work just fine if I connect them directly to the Plasma, so I am guessing that there has been some change on the HDMI inputs after the lastest update. I have read through this thread but cannot seem to find anyone with a similar problem. Does anyone out there have any suggestions, I would very much appreciate any help you can give.

Jon

You can try to reset it. That is the first thing pioneer is going to tell you to do when you call customer service. Other than that, I have never heard of this problem.
post #458 of 808 Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanRamon View Post

I'm just setting up my 1122, and when I turn it off then back on later, it always starts up again at the DVD input.

How do I get it to start up in the SAT/Cable input when I turn it back on?

Thanks.

Robert

I have this same question.
post #459 of 808 Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 PM

I'm considering buying this reciever, this thread is very helpful. Not sure if anyone posted it already (or if it's too obvious), but I found the online manual helpful too:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1122-K_OperatingInstructions070612.pdf

I'm still thumbing through it, but I found some answers to my confusion on how to operate the second zone. I can see I'm not the only one who is not clear on this.

My understanding from the manual.
The receiver can play sound on only ONE of the following at any time;

Physical Connection Group 1:
Surround Back - for 6.1 or 7.1 setup
Zone2 - Allows for speakers in another area to play the same or a different source than Zone1 (with limitations shown below)

Physical Connection Group2:
Front Height - alternative to surround back? This is the new prologic IIz setup?
Front Wide - alternative to surround back? This is the new prologic IIz setup?
Speaker B - Stereo version of what's playing in Zone1. This is the feature I'm used to from older receivers.

It's a little confusing that they have two sets of outputs. I guess the point is that you can wire a set of speakers into Group 1 and one into Group 2, for example, Zone2 and Front Height. This will allow you to change the receiver config to drive either Zone2 or Front Height.

ISSUE1:
I only run a 5.1 setup, so I'm planning to use Zone2 for my patio. Some limitations that I found (pg 28) is that Zone2 does not support playback of anything that came in on HDMI, Optical or Coax. This is unfortunate, because I like the feature of having two sources playing. Someone inside can be watching TV, and the patio can have music. But when you want music from an optical source inside and out, you can't do that...? Well I think you can, but you need to use Speaker B for that. But with speaker B, you don't get two sources. So I'm thinking, should I connect my outdoor speakers to Zone2 or SpeakerB. My existing setup only supports SpeakerB functionality, so I could stick with that, but I'd like to use Zone2. If airplay doesn't work too well on the receiver, I may need to connect an appleTV, then I'll be forced to use speakerB.

I assume it would be harmful to connect my patio speakers to BOTH Zone2 and SpeakerB? Noise issues, bad for the receiver? I guess I could get a simple A/B switch to solve the problem with minimal hassle of having to go downstairs to switch (infrequent, so acceptable).

ISSUE2:
A related issue I'm wondering about is I want to use the Zone2 pre-out to go to another receiver so I can expand and have more zones. I have 3 other zones already that this receiver will let me more tightly integrate. The issue I have is that if you can't drive HDMI, optical or Coax to Zone2, it won't come out the Zone2 pre-out either, so I'm limited as to what can be played on all zones. I think I can live with it. The only immediate issue is my cable box, which has outputs in HDMI, Optical and RCA. If it simultaneously outputs on the digital and analog, I should be set.

ISSUE3:
Also if you're playing something from the network port (Pandora, Media server, etc) then Zone 2 can only play that same content to Zone 2. Not a big deal for me, since if I'm playing music inside, I expect to want to play the same music outside.

Issue1 is the main one for me. I'm going to try using Zone2 for outside and see how it works out. I'd like to hear thoughts and what people are using (Zone2 or SpeakerB)? Has anyone observed the limitations, and do the workarounds work?

Thanks.
post #460 of 808 Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Hello,
I'm pretty new with receivers, and I'm having a problem with my VSX-1122 receiver.

I bought the receiver something like a month ago and I hooked it up to my PC via analog connection. It works ok (after messing up with some options, because MCACC got it not as good as I wanted to), but when I'm trying to run it through digital S/PDIF cable the receiver's silent.
The wire is good for sure - I checked it at my friend's Yamaha receiver and it worked perfectly. I followed the manual to assign Coaxial in to the DVD input (hope that's fine) and set up my PC settings to follow the Digital Output and still nothing. The speakers are not giving any sound when switched from analog to digital connection.

Can this be that the receiver is damaged? Because frankly, I can't think of anything else how to solve this issue.

Also the reciever has switched off few times by itself which was totalle weird for me and the remote seems to have a malfunction to, because one single push of the navigation button, switches the menu for several times which makes any changes in receiver's menu very difficult.

Thanks for any pointers what can be the reason of this odd behaviour of my receiver.
post #461 of 808 Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh1010 View Post

I have this same question.
From my answer on the previous page:

There is a setting in the HDMI menu for this. It either allows pass-through from a single HDMI, or from the last HDMI ("Last") that was active when the Amp was on. Select "Off" for none. See Page 55 of the manual. The input can also be switched when the amplifier is off using the remote.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1122-K_OperatingInstructions070612.pdf
post #462 of 808 Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss86 View Post

Hello,
I'm pretty new with receivers, and I'm having a problem with my VSX-1122 receiver.

I bought the receiver something like a month ago and I hooked it up to my PC via analog connection. It works ok (after messing up with some options, because MCACC got it not as good as I wanted to), but when I'm trying to run it through digital S/PDIF cable the receiver's silent.
The wire is good for sure - I checked it at my friend's Yamaha receiver and it worked perfectly. I followed the manual to assign Coaxial in to the DVD input (hope that's fine) and set up my PC settings to follow the Digital Output and still nothing. The speakers are not giving any sound when switched from analog to digital connection.

Can this be that the receiver is damaged? Because frankly, I can't think of anything else how to solve this issue.

Also the reciever has switched off few times by itself which was totalle weird for me and the remote seems to have a malfunction to, because one single push of the navigation button, switches the menu for several times which makes any changes in receiver's menu very difficult.

Thanks for any pointers what can be the reason of this odd behaviour of my receiver.
In the input menu there is an option that allows you to change which actual input (analogue, COAX, S/PDIF, HDMI) is used for the DVD source. Did you change it to make sure that S/PDIF is included? If it is and you have no sound, there is a button on the remote that allows you to cycle through all allowable inputs for this source (the ones that you turned on for this source in the Input menu). If everything else fails, get another source (I use a iRiver H120 MP3 player with optical out) just to make sure the input works.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you were trying to use S/PDIF cable but selected COAX in the menu. This is the issue, you have to select OPT-1 or OPT-2 in the menu if you use S/PDIF

F
post #463 of 808 Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNL View Post

In the input menu there is an option that allows you to change which actual input (analogue, COAX, S/PDIF, HDMI) is used for the DVD source. Did you change it to make sure that S/PDIF is included? If it is and you have no sound, there is a button on the remote that allows you to cycle through all allowable inputs for this source (the ones that you turned on for this source in the Input menu). If everything else fails, get another source (I use a iRiver H120 MP3 player with optical out) just to make sure the input works.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you were trying to use S/PDIF cable but selected COAX in the menu. This is the issue, you have to select OPT-1 or OPT-2 in the menu if you use S/PDIF

F
Thanks for Your reply.

Yeah, I tried to switch manually through all input selections for DVD source yet still no sound from the speakers.
Is this button You speak of described on the manual? I can't find anything about such button there...

About the S/PDIF cable... I'm using standard digital coaxial cable and it is hooked up to COAXIAL 1 IN (DVD) and digital S/PDIF out in my PC's sound card. I'm not using optical cable, although that's the good idea just to check if the input is working.

I have checked everything carefully according to the manual, but still it seems like something's wrong.

Also I tried to change it as above, but still no sound.

Any other ideas what can be wrong with the settings of the receiver? And also what might be the problem with spontaneous switch off's and the thing about the remote about which I wrote in my previous post?

Thanks!
post #464 of 808 Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Just ordered an 1122, a quick question while looking at the owners manual. PG 17 of the speaker connections states that for 7.2 surround you need 9 speakers, two subs. Wouldn't this be 9.2 and not 7.2? It shows the same for 7.2 wide on the same page, but with 9 speakers. I thought 7.2 was 7 speakers with 2 subs. Can someone confirm/deny this?
post #465 of 808 Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM

With the new 1123 officially announced today, anyone think there will be a further price drop on the 1122 - currently $359 on Amazon?
post #466 of 808 Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss86 View Post

Is this button You speak of described on the manual? I can't find anything about such button there...
And also what might be the problem with spontaneous switch off's and the thing about the remote about which I wrote in my previous post?
Manual Page 11 and Page 46. Use the "signal select" button on the remote - press "Receiver", then the "4" button. I struggled with a similar issue for a while, until someone here pointed out you can manually change the selected signal.
On the 'spontaneous switch off's': I dont know. Mine does not do this. Make sure it is not overheating (clearance all around and not in an enclosed space, and that all speaker wires are properly inserted (i.e. there is no chance that they touch and short out, all connections are tight, etc.). I used banana plugs, they allow you to carefully screw the wires into the plugs and then plug into the receiver - the screw in type connectors are a pain. YMMV though. If the issue persists, I would consider it faulty and send it back for a replacement while you still can.

F.
post #467 of 808 Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Does anyone know about how long the vsx1122k will keep it's memory in the event of a power outage? I was considering getting a battery backup for it, and was curious if would be necessary.
post #468 of 808 Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh1010 View Post

HDMI issues again. From a cold boot, the receiver can't negotiate the HDMI connection. Calling pioneer Monday.

Just wanted to give an update. Returned my receiver and got a new one from the same place. This one works flawlessly and has for days now. No hdmi issues and didn't change a thing from the first set up. Just got a bad receiver the first time.
post #469 of 808 Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM

LOVE this receiver. I replaced a 10 year old Sony and man has technology gotten better! The iPad app is absolutely amazing.
I'm wondering if there is a way to have an HDMI source (Playstation) pass through to the TV while listening to another non-HDMI source on the receiver (such as media server or iPod) so that we can play games while listening to the music. I know I can just swap a cable to another HDMI input on the TV but I don't want to have to be unplugging cables. I like having the single HDMI going to the TV.
post #470 of 808 Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneekyGeek View Post

LOVE this receiver. I replaced a 10 year old Sony and man has technology gotten better! The iPad app is absolutely amazing.
I'm wondering if there is a way to have an HDMI source (Playstation) pass through to the TV while listening to another non-HDMI source on the receiver (such as media server or iPod) so that we can play games while listening to the music. I know I can just swap a cable to another HDMI input on the TV but I don't want to have to be unplugging cables. I like having the single HDMI going to the TV.

Sure... run zone 2 (RCA line-level) out from the Pioneer to some additional, powered speakers, like Audio Engine ...or... regular, passive speakers to the zone 2 speaker outs if you are running only a 5.1 setup for the main zone. Use Zone 2 to run your iPod or Media Server analog output (2-channel stereo) and the main zone to play the game audio, both at the same time. You'd be surprised how many people run a setup like that... smile.gif
scoobdude likes this.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #471 of 808 Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Awesome! Thanks I never thought of that. I will give it a shot.
post #472 of 808 Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Can someone comment how prevalent the hdmi board/solder issue is? Pretty much the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this. Thanks.
post #473 of 808 Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM

I had an hdmi issue. Returned it and got a new one a week later and it is working great.
post #474 of 808 Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Thanks. Ok last question. Early in this thread there are some comments about quirky airplay on zone2 - has this been resolved? I want to use the zone 2 pre out to another receiver. I'll mainly be using airplay from my iPhone/ iPad and want to be sure it works without too much hassle.
post #475 of 808 Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Has been working flawlessly for me daily since I bought it 7 months ago.
post #476 of 808 Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk874 View Post

Thanks. Ok last question. Early in this thread there are some comments about quirky airplay on zone2 - has this been resolved? I want to use the zone 2 pre out to another receiver. I'll mainly be using airplay from my iPhone/ iPad and want to be sure it works without too much hassle.

No issues for me and I use zone 2 out with Airplay almost daily.

post #477 of 808 Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks. OK I'm finally in for one of these!
post #478 of 808 Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Just so don't get left hanging for lack of a cable...

What do I need to do the setup? This receiver will be located in the basement (where all my speaker wires terminate), and the main 5.1 zone is upstairs. Do I need a long 3.5mm microphone extension cable to reach upstairs for speaker calibration?
post #479 of 808 Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Set up my 1122 today - got a lot of stuff working, including mcacc, AirPlay, zone2. Starting to work with the Icontrol app and roomie remote too.

I have one issue with my scientific Atlanta cable box. It's hooked up to hdmi2, and the signal cuts out when I change channels. It takes about 10 seconds for audio and video to come back.

If I just use the channel up/down it changes pretty fast, maybe 1 second.

If I key in the new channel directly - (which I do all the time)
the video drops and my tv gets confused because there is no signal for too long (acts like cable box is off)
The audio (coming through receiver speakers) also cuts out for longer than expected.

I'm having trouble figuring this out - at first I blamed the tv for losing the signal, but its just getting video via hdmi.

Maybe there's some setting to minimize processing/latency in the 1122.?
post #480 of 808 Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk874 View Post

Set up my 1122 today - got a lot of stuff working, including mcacc, AirPlay, zone2. Starting to work with the Icontrol app and roomie remote too.

I have one issue with my scientific Atlanta cable box. It's hooked up to hdmi2, and the signal cuts out when I change channels. It takes about 10 seconds for audio and video to come back.

If I just use the channel up/down it changes pretty fast, maybe 1 second.

If I key in the new channel directly - (which I do all the time)
the video drops and my tv gets confused because there is no signal for too long (acts like cable box is off)
The audio (coming through receiver speakers) also cuts out for longer than expected.

I'm having trouble figuring this out - at first I blamed the tv for losing the signal, but its just getting video via hdmi.

Maybe there's some setting to minimize processing/latency in the 1122.?

you can turn the video processing off in the receiver and see if that helps. I had an issue with it at first (I have a scientific atlanta cable box too), but have just come to terms with that fact that there is alot going on when you change a channel and for me, it doesnt happen all the time, and never for 10 seconds. Maybe 3 or 4.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page