Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 807 Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

Have any of you guys tried bi-amping the 1122? Right now I'm only running a 5.1 system and I figured I'd utilize the extra channels until I get surround backs by bi-amping my front R & L. I have Polk Audio Tsi300 towers that can be bi amped. Will bi amping them be too much power for them to handle?

This can be a 'hot' topic, but here's a good primer if you want to know more:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#bi_wiring

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 807 Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Thanks Krutsch, I actually read part of a thread on AVS that was specifically about Bi-amping and I felt like if the conversation was happening in a room every one would have been screaming at each other, so it must be quite a hot topic.

Also just for the record, every time I read one of your posts I can't help but hear it in my head as Samuel L. Jackson.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #543 of 807 Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

yes... this is another 'read the manual' ... there is an auto-off/standby setting for zone 2, as well as the main zone.

If you mean sleep timer, I've cycled it through back to "off".

I didn't see anyway to adjust it only for z2, it seems to be a global setting.

In any case the analog input turned off in z2 in about 30 minutes, while it continued to play in the main zone.

Robert
post #544 of 807 Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 139
So my 1122 showed up today and I ran the MCACC and everything's working A-OK. So do I have to have this plugged into the internet for the iPad app/AirPlay to work properly, or at all?

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #545 of 807 Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

yes... this is another 'read the manual' ... there is an auto-off/standby setting for zone 2, as well as the main zone.

yea...auto power off (page 83)...ugh!

Robert
post #546 of 807 Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:

So my 1122 showed up today and I ran the MCACC and everything's working A-OK. So do I have to have this plugged into the internet for the iPad app/AirPlay to work properly, or at all?

The AVR needs to be connected to the network for Airplay or the iPad app to work, in which case should be sharing the same connection to the Internet everything else uses. Direct connection via USB will be for audio only - the iPad app needs a network connection to function.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #547 of 807 Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks Krutsch, I actually read part of a thread on AVS that was specifically about Bi-amping and I felt like if the conversation was happening in a room every one would have been screaming at each other, so it must be quite a hot topic.

Also just for the record, every time I read one of your posts I can't help but hear it in my head as Samuel L. Jackson.

biggrin.gif

post #548 of 807 Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Liked: 12
I hope one of you can help me. I've been using my VSX-1122 for about two months and it's been great. Tonight I accidently pushed the Zone2 button on the remote and I think the remote went to Zone2. I was able to get my receiver working again for cable by using the controls on the front panel of the receiver, but I can't get the remote to do anything. If I try to turn of the receiver with the remote all I do is turn of Zone2 and turn it back on. I also can't get it to go to my Roku which is plugged into the BD slot.

This is my first AV receiver and I really don't know much about it. I really need your help.

Thank you
post #549 of 807 Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyAgain View Post

I hope one of you can help me. I've been using my VSX-1122 for about two months and it's been great. Tonight I accidently pushed the Zone2 button on the remote and I think the remote went to Zone2. I was able to get my receiver working again for cable by using the controls on the front panel of the receiver, but I can't get the remote to do anything. If I try to turn of the receiver with the remote all I do is turn of Zone2 and turn it back on. I also can't get it to go to my Roku which is plugged into the BD slot.

This is my first AV receiver and I really don't know much about it. I really need your help.

Thank you

Tap on the RECEIVER button on the remote (lower right, below the various input buttons).

post #550 of 807 Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 AM

I got it. I got up this morning and took the batteries out of the remote. When I put them back, it was fine. I have it set up in my 10 X 12 den with the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers, center channel and sub up front and four Energy Take 5's as surrounds. The sound is amazing. I'll be moving it later today to a new 16 X16 den that I just finished building. I'm putting down the last piece, the saddle in the opening where the sliding door was, this morning and the furniture comes today

I was hoping to use Zone 2 to run back to a receiver and two speakers back in the old den, now new office. What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks again
post #551 of 807 Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I got it. I got up this morning and took the batteries out of the remote. When I put them back, it was fine. I have it set up in my 10 X 12 den with the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers, center channel and sub up front and four Energy Take 5's as surrounds. The sound is amazing. I'll be moving it later today to a new 16 X16 den that I just finished building. I'm putting down the last piece, the saddle in the opening where the sliding door was, this morning and the furniture comes today

I was hoping to use Zone 2 to run back to a receiver and two speakers back in the old den, now new office. What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks again

Glad to hear things are working out... I like your Den and it looks like a nice place to relax!

For zone 2 stuff, there is a whole section in the manual, starting on page 62. For running into another room, you can use either passive speakers or RCA line-level outs w/ a separate amp or powered speakers. For me, I would recommend running speaker wire to passive speakers for zone 2, because you can then use the iControlAV2012 app to control volume and inputs at both locations independently and avoid a separate remote and amp in your new office.

post #552 of 807 Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 AM

Regarding Zone2; I'm reading through the manual again, can I set up the new den 7.1 and the old den 2.0 so that when I turn on the 2.0 the new den becomes 5.1? I think that's what it said in the manual. If that works I'll just abandon my old stereo receiver.

I have to say that I love 7.1 for music. A lot of reviews said that 7.1 doesn't work for music but to me it sounds like headphones and it feels like a much better version of the old quadraphonic systems from the 70's. Music in stereo now sounds flat to me.
Kurious Jo likes this.
post #553 of 807 Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Regarding Zone2; I'm reading through the manual again, can I set up the new den 7.1 and the old den 2.0 so that when I turn on the 2.0 the new den becomes 5.1? I think that's what it said in the manual. If that works I'll just abandon my old stereo receiver.

I have to say that I love 7.1 for music. A lot of reviews said that 7.1 doesn't work for music but to me it sounds like headphones and it feels like a much better version of the old quadraphonic systems from the 70's. Music in stereo now sounds flat to me.

Hmmm... in looking at the manual, I can't tell if one could setup both 7.1 and ZONE 2 and have the AVR automatically switch, depending on whether or not you have ZONE 2 turned on. I use ZONE 2 to output to a sound bar and use headphones (surround mode) for everything else (I'm in an apartment for the time being).

Maybe someone else can weigh-in on this issue...

post #554 of 807 Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Yeah, on page 17 it shows; 7.2 with B speakers and it says that you can use 7.2 or 5.2 with the B's playing. If I can hook that up I think I'm good to go.
post #555 of 807 Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 10
New question, hoping someone knows about this--My 1122 is working well, with one caveat--I have mine set to upconvert to 1080p, but for some reason it also keeps changing the output on my cable box to 1080p as well. I do not want this, because it means my cable box, with it's inferior chip, is first up converting to 1080p and then my pioneer os processing it as well. Before I got the Pioneer I had my cable box set (through the service menu) to "native" which meant my Panasonic TV did the up converting. That is preferable as well to having two sources convert. I have gone back into the cable box service menu twice to change it back to native and the receiver keeps changing it back. Anyone else experience this?
post #556 of 807 Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM

Thank you. You are my savior smile.gif . Spent almost 2 hours unsuccessfully trying to update firmware using a 32 G USB (that is always on my laptop). Got Error 6, tried everything from powering down the receiver, formatting USB, plugging in USB in power off state, power on state, toggling the source selection multiple times...until finally 'googled' and found this thread. Wow, I had to find a 1Gig USB drive from my old laptop bag that I managed to faintly remember.....

Any idea upto what capacity the USB supports. Just makes me wonder then how it behaves with a hard disk or apple device connected to it....

Separate note: Costco Mettawa, IL has these for $599 still.
post #557 of 807 Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 AM

Hi - I'm new here but have found this thread very interesting. I initially purchased the 922 last weekend, having been led to understand by a salesman that the USB input could be played to Zone 2. This of course is not the case so I convinced the store to swap (at no extra charge) for the 1122. I'm running 5.1 (Wharfedale Diamond 9s) in the main zone and fairly cheap ceiling speakers (2 sets, indoor and outdoor with impedance matching volume switches) in zone 2. It took me a little while to figure out getting Airplay going in Zone 2, but cracked it eventually.

I would find it very useful to have Pandora onboard but I see that is currently a US only option. Maybe we'll get a firmware update here in New Zealand. Pandora is available here but I think the copyright situation is not entirely sorted yet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Zone 2 to both speakers (from the rear surround terminals) and from the RCA outputs? If so, I will set up a second amp upstairs (if I can figure out a route to run the cable!)
post #558 of 807 Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardNZ View Post

Hi - I'm new here but have found this thread very interesting. I initially purchased the 922 last weekend, having been led to understand by a salesman that the USB input could be played to Zone 2. This of course is not the case so I convinced the store to swap (at no extra charge) for the 1122. I'm running 5.1 (Wharfedale Diamond 9s) in the main zone and fairly cheap ceiling speakers (2 sets, indoor and outdoor with impedance matching volume switches) in zone 2. It took me a little while to figure out getting Airplay going in Zone 2, but cracked it eventually.

I would find it very useful to have Pandora onboard but I see that is currently a US only option. Maybe we'll get a firmware update here in New Zealand. Pandora is available here but I think the copyright situation is not entirely sorted yet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Zone 2 to both speakers (from the rear surround terminals) and from the RCA outputs? If so, I will set up a second amp upstairs (if I can figure out a route to run the cable!)

No. The 'extra' amps go to one or the other.

post #559 of 807 Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 AM

Ok. Thanks.

The other question I have is probably NZ specific. I've got MySky HDi box (satellite tuner/pvr combo) made by Pace. None of the Pace codes seem to work to allow the VSX remote to control this box, nor can I get it to learn from the MySky remote. Any help much appreciated.
post #560 of 807 Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-1122k. I found the volume becomes ~3dB lower after every a couple of minutes. I have to adjust it back once a while. Anyone know what's happen there?
thanks!
post #561 of 807 Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Does anyone else run a turntable into this unit? If so what listening mode do you use?

I have an 80s Sony turntable hooked into the CD input by way of a phono pre-amp. I haven't found a listening mode I am altogether happy with as of yet. My previous AVR was an Onkyo that had a phono input and a mode that allowed Stereo + Subwoofer. For me that was ideal. Also, I find the MCACC setup I have for general surround purposes has the left and right main channels set too low for simple stereo playback so right now I have to switch MCACC every time I switch to that input wish there was a way to default it per input (am I missing something?). So far I am using Auto Surround or ALC mode as direct and pure direct are too quiet and flat.
post #562 of 807 Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cppbible View Post

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-1122k. I found the volume becomes ~3dB lower after every a couple of minutes. I have to adjust it back once a while. Anyone know what's happen there?
thanks!

As in the actual volume numerically hours down or you lose 3db neared via SPL etc?

Do you use an I device with the app? If so I have read that the device does not need to be on to control the volume. Could this be the culprit?
post #563 of 807 Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Both the number on the display and the volumn go down. The number drop 3dB every time and it happens every a couple of minutes.
post #564 of 807 Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM

BTW, I did not use any I devices. I am using remote control coming with the receiver or the master volumn dial on the receiver's front panel. Thank you for your reply.
post #565 of 807 Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 AM

I've been trying to work out why my satellite/PVR box isn't outputting surround sound, and having consulted the manual, it seems that it will only output stereo by HDMI, but will output 5.1 by digital (coax or optical). I've connected it using optical to Opt-1 but I can't change the audio input associated with HDMI input 2. Pressing "signal sel" displays "HDMI" as the only option. My understanding from the manual is that repeated presses of that button should give me other options. Is this right?

I'm using every available analog audio input - is this possibly the problem?
post #566 of 807 Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardNZ View Post

I've been trying to work out why my satellite/PVR box isn't outputting surround sound, and having consulted the manual, it seems that it will only output stereo by HDMI, but will output 5.1 by digital (coax or optical). I've connected it using optical to Opt-1 but I can't change the audio input associated with HDMI input 2. Pressing "signal sel" displays "HDMI" as the only option. My understanding from the manual is that repeated presses of that button should give me other options. Is this right?

I'm using every available analog audio input - is this possibly the problem?

I am assuming you have the cable box plugged into 'SAT/CBL' input, which I think is HDMI input 2. You cannot your optical S/PDIF cable to OPT-2 (or OPT-1, as you have already done).

Then, you go into the 1122-K setup menu and add that input to the available selections for the audio input for SAT/CBL. See page 35 in the manual on 'The Input Setup menu' to finish the job.

Then, you can hit signal select to toggle between the HDMI audio and the assigned optical audio. You can also set it to default to one or the other.

post #567 of 807 Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM

I've thumbed through all 19 pages and still need assistance.

Out of the box
Pioneer VSX-1122-k
Mitsubishi HC7800D projector.

Also have a Dish VIP722 as my only input at the moment, using HDMI connections only.

Out of the box I can hook to a standard flat screen TV and get audio and video. I hooked to project, I lose both audio and video. I played with some settings on the receiver, I was able to get video, however no video. Strange that if I unhook the video out from the receiver, the audio starts coming through, but as soon as I hook up the projector again, I lose the audio.

Any ideas? I've called both Pioneer and Mitsubishi support, and each wants to blame the other for the problem.
post #568 of 807 Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbigal View Post

I've thumbed through all 19 pages and still need assistance.

Out of the box
Pioneer VSX-1122-k
Mitsubishi HC7800D projector.

Also have a Dish VIP722 as my only input at the moment, using HDMI connections only.

Out of the box I can hook to a standard flat screen TV and get audio and video. I hooked to project, I lose both audio and video. I played with some settings on the receiver, I was able to get video, however no video. Strange that if I unhook the video out from the receiver, the audio starts coming through, but as soon as I hook up the projector again, I lose the audio.

Any ideas? I've called both Pioneer and Mitsubishi support, and each wants to blame the other for the problem.

Incidentally, even when I get video on the projector, the on-screen menus from the pioneer will not display on the screen.
post #569 of 807 Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Incidentally, even when I get video on the projector, the on-screen menus from the pioneer will not display on the screen.

Additional info. I changed the video res setting to "Pure" and now I have video, but still no audio. As soon as I disconnect the HMDI out from the receiver, the audio comes on. When I move it to an LCD TV, I get audio and video. Back to projector restores video but still no audio.

Why would the receiver care what its connected to in terms of the audio output? Still baffled.
post #570 of 807 Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Additional info. I changed the video res setting to "Pure" and now I have video, but still no audio. As soon as I disconnect the HMDI out from the receiver, the audio comes on. When I move it to an LCD TV, I get audio and video. Back to projector restores video but still no audio.

Why would the receiver care what its connected to in terms of the audio output? Still baffled.

Do you have something like "control with HDMI" set to on and your projector is telling the amplifier to mute? Page 55 of manual. Go to HDMI setup and make sure "Control mode" is Off.

F.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page