Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 807 Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardNZ View Post

Yes, I've tried that (sorry, I referred to it as a "fixed IP" rather than " static" in my post above.) It seemed to make no difference.

After setting the static / fixed IP, does an nslookup from a computer resolve the correct IP address?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 807 Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RParkerMU View Post

After setting the static / fixed IP, does an nslookup from a computer resolve the correct IP address?
I've not done an nslookup as such (I'll try it when I'm home) but I have an IP Scanner phone app that I know picks up the correct static IP address (though not the "friendly name" I have set).
post #723 of 807 Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM

You may have to run the nslookup command on a computer. It resolves the Friendly name [DNS name] with an IP address. Below is some info on doing nslookups from Windows or OS X. [All credit goes to livinginternet.com] Please don't try to use an internet based nslookup tool as it probably won't be able to resolve a node on your local network.
Quote:
On Windows systems you need to search your computer for the program "nslookup.exe". On Macintosh, there are two methods:

In the Terminal application (found at Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal), nslookup is available and used as with any Unix system.
For a GUI equivalent, use Applications -> Utilities -> Network Utility, which has a "Lookup" tab in its window. Just enter the address to look up, or the IP for reverse DNS lookup. (Network Utility has a lot of other capabilities as well since it is basically a wrapper around the functionality of a number of Unix network-related command-line utilities.)
post #724 of 807 Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:

You may have to run the nslookup command on a computer. It resolves the Friendly name [DNS name] with an IP address. Below is some info on doing nslookups from Windows or OS X. [All credit goes to livinginternet.com] Please don't try to use an internet based nslookup tool as it probably won't be able to resolve a node on your local network.
Thank you very much for this. I was home briefly so I very quickly ran nslookup. When I entered the static IP for the receiver (friendly name = "amp") it returned the name "new-host.station". As a comparison, I also ran the static IP for my phone (name = "Paul's iPhone") and it returned "Paul's-iPhone.station"

I can view a network map by accessing the router on a browser and in that map the receiver is always named "new-host" or "new-host-2". If I look at the network map generated by Windows it names the receiver "amp". When AirPlay works, it also identifies the receiver as "amp".
post #725 of 807 Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM

I should also say (although it might be obvious - this is a bit out of my experience) that the ".station" label refers to my router.

On the Windows network map, the modem/router shows up as several devices, one of which cannot be allocated a location in the map.

I've no idea if any of this is relevant!
post #726 of 807 Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Does anyone know how to make this receiver always output 5.1? I have mine set to auto, but a lot of times I'm only hearing output from the 2 front speakers.

Quote:

I got this response after emailing Pioneer support.

"Under the different Advance Surround modes there is an option called EXT Stereo which will send audio to all speakers when selected. To access EXT Stereo press and release the Advance Surround button until EXT Stereo is displayed on the front of the receiver."

When watching anything with stereo output try using Dolby Pro-Logic IIz, by pressing the Standard button at the bottom of the remote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
Quote:
A newer Dolby Pro Logic IIx system is also now available, which can take two-channel stereo, Dolby Surround (sometimes called Dolby Stereo Surround) and Dolby Digital 5.1 source material and up-convert it to 6.1 or 7.1

Dolby Pro Logic IIz expands on Pro Logic IIx with the addition of a height component, creating front height channels above the front left and right speakers, expanding a 5.1 or 7.1 system to 7.1 Height or 9.1.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #727 of 807 Old 12-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 10
I tried the factory reset, and to my amazement, it worked!! Thanks for the tip. I hope it continues to work. I guess I overlooked that piece of information in the manual. After reading the manual again, I found out how to cancel the "Demo" mode. Thanks again!
post #728 of 807 Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That is awesome news misterkeg, thanks for sharing cool.gif

Great suggestion on the factory reset @RParkerMU

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #729 of 807 Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Any tips on using the remote control? I can use it to control volume, inputs such as DVD, HDMI INPUTS, Tuner, Internet Radio, Pandora etc., but when I tried to use the remote unit to input my user and password to log on to my Sirius account on the VSX-1122-k, the keys were unresponsive. I had to use the buttons on the front of the unit, which was rather time consuming having to go thru the entire alphabet to get to upper case/lower case letters and numbers. I referenced the manual, and followed along how to program it, and how to revert to factory settings (which I did), but I could not get the buttons (right,left,up,down) that surround the enter button to respond. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks, Merry Christmas!
post #730 of 807 Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Liked: 11
I have an LG 55LA5500 TV and a Pioneer VSX-1122 receiver. I have an Xbox, PS4, and a Cable box connected to my receiver. When I connect my receiver to my TV's HDMI1, it will not transmit any signal to my TV. However, HDMI2 and 3 work absolutely fine. However, when I connect my Xbox or PS4 to HDMI1, they work fine.

Why is my AV receiver refusing to transmit video to the HDMI1 input? Is it because of the ARC feature on the HDMI1 input? The weird thing is, the ARC feature works when I do connect to HDMI1 and use Smart TV features.
post #731 of 807 Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 AM

I have an IOGear universal wifi to ethernet adapter I'm trying to connect to my VSX-1122.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1386765808&sr=8-14&keywords=IOgear

The adapter is set up correctly. I've tested it on other devices. I cannot get my VSX to recognize it. When I plug in a wired connection, my receiver automatically detects the IP address and I have connectivity. Is there any tricks to how I can get this to connect to my receiver?

My firmware is up to date.
post #732 of 807 Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshall View Post

I have an IOGear universal wifi to ethernet adapter I'm trying to connect to my VSX-1122.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1386765808&sr=8-14&keywords=IOgear

The adapter is set up correctly. I've tested it on other devices. I cannot get my VSX to recognize it. When I plug in a wired connection, my receiver automatically detects the IP address and I have connectivity. Is there any tricks to how I can get this to connect to my receiver?

My firmware is up to date.

amarshall, looking at the Pioneer web site and the AS-WL300 wireless network adapter, it uses the usb port. Does the adapter you've linked to use the usb or ethernet port?

Here is a link to the manuf. web site for info that may help
http://www.iogear.com/product/GWU627/

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #733 of 807 Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Does anyone have any video drop out issues? At first I thought it was the software I was using to watch my bluray rips because it would do it about once per movie, but some movies will cause the video to drop out multiple times. I switched to a different PC software and that worked with no dropouts, so I just assumed all was good. However, now it even happens with my xbox360 and directv stb. It's intermittent. Sometimes it won't happen at all for a long time.
post #734 of 807 Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 PM

i have the same problem ... the volume goes down by itself a little at a time  ... so frustrating ... it also shuts itself off by itself .... do i have a defective vsx 1122-k ?  how can i fix these issues ?

post #735 of 807 Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 AM

LIzard, just a quick question - are you sure that you don't have a duplicate IP address on your network? Since you are using a static address you have to make sure that it is not used by several machines - also check that your router does not give out the same address using DHCP.

F.
post #736 of 807 Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks Frank. I've previously checked for duplicate IPs and didn't find any. I gave all my devices static addresses starting from .100 to avoid any automatically allocated addresses (which would start from .2).

I also since spoken to a support rep from Pioneer's NZ distributor. Coincidentally he uses the same ISP as me and has had the same issue. There seems to be some fundamental AirPlay incompatibility between Pioneer receivers and the chipsets this ISP puts in its modem/routers. I tried a replacement router from the ISP to no avail.

I've now given up and am back using my old modem/router.

I hate it when I'm beaten by technology.
post #737 of 807 Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'd like to be able to send HDMI signal through the AVR to my projector but also use the IPAD USB input to play music while I play games. havent found a way to get video from one source while audio from another. Is that possible?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #738 of 807 Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I'd like to be able to send HDMI signal through the AVR to my projector but also use the IPAD USB input to play music while I play games. havent found a way to get video from one source while audio from another. Is that possible?
You can select different audio inputs in the input set up. I'm not sure you can pick USB as audio for another input, but if you are using an iPad or iPhone, then get a 3.5mm-RCA cable and use assignable analogue inputs.
post #739 of 807 Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardNZ View Post

Thanks Frank. I've previously checked for duplicate IPs and didn't find any. I gave all my devices static addresses starting from .100 to avoid any automatically allocated addresses (which would start from .2).

I also since spoken to a support rep from Pioneer's NZ distributor. Coincidentally he uses the same ISP as me and has had the same issue. There seems to be some fundamental AirPlay incompatibility between Pioneer receivers and the chipsets this ISP puts in its modem/routers. I tried a replacement router from the ISP to no avail.

I've now given up and am back using my old modem/router.

I hate it when I'm beaten by technology.

Sorry to hear that... just FYI: I discovered that my router (Asus RT-N66U) does not 'nicely' allocate IP addresses through DHCP. Even after rebooting, it seems to give random numbers in the range, rather than a nice incremental numbering like my old Linsys... Odd, and did almost messed up my plan to add a few fixed addresses at the end of the range thinking that the DHCP server would never get there (with the few devices that I have...). eek.gif However, once it has given a number to a certain device, it seems to stick to that number for that device, so - my laptop is .230 today, it will be .230 again next week. I wonder how that works...
post #740 of 807 Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM

I'm having an issue where my DVD output and DVR causes the receiver to go into Protect mode and shut off. The SAT/CBL works fine. I've checked all of the speaker connections and none are touching.

Some weird symptoms:

MCACC setup. Cycles through the speakers and gets to right front. Tone from right front causes the Receiver to shut off.

DVD ...right front speaker causes machine to turn off.

DVR ....same.

SAT/Cable works completely fine. All channels and speakers works fine.
post #741 of 807 Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm having an issue where my DVD output and DVR causes the receiver to go into Protect mode and shut off. The SAT/CBL works fine. I've checked all of the speaker connections and none are touching.

Some weird symptoms:

MCACC setup. Cycles through the speakers and gets to right front. Tone from right front causes the Receiver to shut off.

DVR ....same.

Not good amarshall and sorry to read about this issue.

couple questions

how long have you owned - is it still under warranty?
have you tried swapping rf and lf speakers and rerunning MCACC or DVD/DVR mode?

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #742 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just yesterday I ran the audio set up with the mic for the first time. I have been using the reciever for about six months with no issues until yesterday. Now my sub, a klipsch rw12, will not work. I can hear test tones but nothing else. I have since turned odd the mcacc calibration but no luck. I've thought about getting a different sub cable, but if that were the problem would I be able to hear the test tones? Any ideas?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #743 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Server Error when I try to use SiriusXM.  Pandora works great.  Any ideas?

post #744 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 06:05 PM

I can pick up the receiver for 149$ clearence,is it worth it ?
post #745 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooKiller View Post

Server Error when I try to use SiriusXM.  Pandora works great.  Any ideas?
I think you need a firmware upgrade, which has to be done by USB. Check back through this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by besike View Post

Yes
post #746 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Just yesterday I ran the audio set up with the mic for the first time. I have been using the reciever for about six months with no issues until yesterday. Now my sub, a klipsch rw12, will not work. I can hear test tones but nothing else. I have since turned odd the mcacc calibration but no luck. I've thought about getting a different sub cable, but if that were the problem would I be able to hear the test tones? Any ideas?
Set your front speakers to "small" to force bass tones to the sub.
Conspiracy* likes this.
post #747 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Some weird symptoms:

DVR ....same.

Hi amarshal, I have many questions and some random ideas.
  • when you say that the tone from the front-right causes the receiver to shutoff: do you actually hear the tone, or does it shutoff before you hear anything?
  • Can you give some more info on your setup? Stereo, 5.1 or 7.1? Is there a subwoofer? How is it connected?
  • Are you on the latest firmware?
  • When you say that the DVD and DVR inputs cause the issue, is the sound output from these sources the same as from the Sat/cable (i.e, 5.1 vs stereo)? I presume these are all HDMI connected?
  • It is the front right speaker, correct? Not a 'presence' or height speaker?
  • How do you know it is the front-right that shuts down the system on DVD/DVR? I presume the system just shuts down when you play from these sources, and you deducted that it is caused by front-right because of the test tone issue?
  • What happens when you take an analogue source (CD player) and just use the left and right RCA inputs?
  • Have you tried using the DVD on the Sat/cable input?
  • Is there anything connected to the B speakers, and are they on or off?
  • Have you tried doing a factory reset?

I'm still leaning to a short in the front-right circuit, but it is hard to explain why certain sources work and others don't. Are the volumes significantly different for front-right? Has the front-right speaker successfully worked before? I'm with hyghwayman on swapping Left and Right to see what happens. Also - hyghwayman makes a good point. If it is under warranty or if you just bought it, and you're certain it is not in the wiring or speakers, box it up and swap it out.

F
post #748 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by besike View Post

Depends what you are replacing. I loved the sound of this amp over my older Yamaha. The VSX-1122-k is a great amp with idiosyncrasies wink.gif There is a newer version out there, but it is more expensive. $149 is a great price, less than half the price I paid last year...
post #749 of 807 Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Hey all. I've had the receiver and it's been great minus a few HDMI connection issues but have a question. Is there any way to make the receiver display the input name instead of the audio format? I don't get the point of being able to name the inputs if I can't see it. It shows for a few seconds when I select the input but then PCM or DTS will be shown depending on the audio format.
post #750 of 807 Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like Lizard said, after running MCACC the receiver usually sets the speakers to large and you must go and change them to back small.

Here's a quote from BigDaddy - he has written quite a bit about bass management over on another HT forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy;1831292 
Should I Set My Speakers to Large or Small?
People always ask this question. The answer is very simple. If you own a subwoofer that outputs good bass sound, you should set all your speakers to SMALL. In general, if you own a subwoofer, it may be wise to set all your speakers to small for several reasons:

When there is an overlap of bass sound from the front speakers and the subwoofer, you will get bloated and boomy bass.
A subwoofer can play low frequencies all the way down to 20Hz or lower. Even relatively large front speakers cannot go that low.
The placement of a sub in a room is the primary factor in receiving good bass sound. You cannot adjust the position of the front speakers and move them to the side or back.
If the subwoofer and the front speakers play the same bass frequencies, there will be a possibility of phase cancellation of certain bass frequencies.
Redirecting the bass to the subwoofer relieves the receiver/amplifier from having to work on reproducing the low frequencies and this greatly improves the headroom.
If you are using the Audyssey MultEQ calibration, you will get much better bass performance because the MultEQ subwoofer filters have 8x higher resolution than the filters for the other speakers.

People have a psycological difficulty with the word SMALL. They have spent good money on their front speakers and get insulted when the AVR sets them to SMALL. Remember that this is not a personal insult against you or your speakers. My Definitive Technology front speakers have 15" built-in subwoofers with built-in 300 watt amplifiers. In addition to those, I have six external subwoofers in my HT room. When I set the front speakers to SMALL, the quality of the sound (both music and movies) improves.

It is helpful to redefine the words SMALL and LARGE to:

LARGE = The speakers are not Bass Managed.
SMALL = The speakers are Bass Managed.
Conspiracy* likes this.

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page