"OFFICIAL" Pioneer VSX-1122-k Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 807 Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does this receiver support DSD decoding? Ther's only a vague reference to SACD on the Pioneer site, no mention of DSD.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 807 Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Does this receiver support DSD decoding? Ther's only a vague reference to SACD on the Pioneer site, no mention of DSD.

Yes, it does. I use this with my BDP-62FD in Pure Direct mode and love the sound w/ SACD!

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #93 of 807 Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 AM

Liked: 10
Purchase decision: Is there a compelling reason to purchase the VSX-1122 over the VSX-1022? I bought the 1022 for $250 (still in box) and I now have the option to get the 1122 for $350. Speakers: Energy Take Classic 5.1. Second zone would be a set of outdoor speakers and don’t need simultaneous ZoneA/B operation. Primary use is home theater: Sharp LED TV-LC60LE6300UOM via Sony BDP-BX58. Secondary use is Pandora and DLNA. Just installed Netgear WN2000RPT to connect VSX-1022 in basement HT.
post #94 of 807 Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnk_usa View Post

Purchase decision: Is there a compelling reason to purchase the VSX-1122 over the VSX-1022? I bought the 1022 for $250 (still in box) and I now have the option to get the 1122 for $350. Speakers: Energy Take Classic 5.1. Second zone would be a set of outdoor speakers and don’t need simultaneous ZoneA/B operation. Primary use is home theater: Sharp LED TV-LC60LE6300UOM via Sony BDP-BX58. Secondary use is Pandora and DLNA. Just installed Netgear WN2000RPT to connect VSX-1022 in basement HT.

You should go to the product sheet:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/VSX-1122-K%20New%20Single%20Sheet.pdf

Bold indicates features better than 1022 and should help with your decision tree.
post #95 of 807 Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM

I'm thinking about buying a 1122-k, but I don't really understand how playing music via ethernet works. Can I use my PC and winamp? And what about 6 channel SACDs? Now I’m using foobar and have a Logitech Z680 connected to my PC, it sounds good and I don’t want to lose the ability to play music I do now.
post #96 of 807 Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frufru View Post

I'm thinking about buying a 1122-k, but I don't really understand how playing music via ethernet works. Can I use my PC and winamp? And what about 6 channel SACDs? Now I’m using foobar and have a Logitech Z680 connected to my PC, it sounds good and I don’t want to lose the ability to play music I do now.

Playing music via Ethernet w/ the VSX-1122-K means: 1) via Apple's Airplay from your PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch; or, 2) via DLNA from your DLNA server hosting music. If you are a user of iTunes, then Airplay is the easiest way to get your music into your receiver - go to Apple.com and look at the information under iTunes and Airplay.

If DLNA is a new acronym for you, then pass on it and see my answer 1) - it's much easier to make work.

The server also supports Pandora, SiriusXM and Internet radio which also play over the network via your ethernet connection (there is also, I believe, a Wi-Fi adapter available).

Hope that helps!

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #97 of 807 Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 AM

Thanks for your answer, I own an iPhone and iPad too but i’m not a fan of itunes and I can’t play my lossless music on these devices without a third party app. I’ve found a dlna plugin for foobar, i think i’ll try that.
post #98 of 807 Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frufru View Post

Thanks for your answer, I own an iPhone and iPad too but i’m not a fan of itunes and I can’t play my lossless music on these devices without a third party app. I’ve found a dlna plugin for foobar, i think i’ll try that.

I'll be honest with you - Apple devices and DLNA do not mix very well, because there aren't any decent DLNA control apps for iOS (trust me on this one). If you want to stay with DLNA and your Pioneer AVR, you want to consider putting your music into JRiver Media Center and using the JRiver iPhone app as the controller. It's still DLNA, but the JRiver app is designed to work specifically with the JRiver media center software on your PC. I have not used this myself, but I use JRiver MC and I like it with an Android app called BubbleUPnP (Google that one...).

Good luck and post back if you get stuck.

post #99 of 807 Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
I recently did the firmware update from usb for the pandora issue. When I try to play pandora please wait comes up on front panel display.I let it go ror over 30 mins. and still no go.I can access internet radio stations fine.I found that if I unplug the power cord for about 30 seconds, pandora will SOMETIMES work. I tried to reinstall firmware but it won`t let me,it says no need to update,I also did a complete reset of the avr,but same problem.If anyone has any suggestions I`m all ears, THANKS!
post #100 of 807 Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0011 View Post

I recently did the firmware update from usb for the pandora issue. When I try to play pandora please wait comes up on front panel display.I let it go ror over 30 mins. and still no go.I can access internet radio stations fine.I found that if I unplug the power cord for about 30 seconds, pandora will SOMETIMES work. I tried to reinstall firmware but it won`t let me,it says no need to update,I also did a complete reset of the avr,but same problem.If anyone has any suggestions I`m all ears, THANKS!

Post-update, Pandora has been working for me; if your Internet radio stations are working, then it sounds like your network is OK. Maybe try re-setting the Pandora username/password via the web interface (i.e. http:///1000/pandora_account.asp) and see if that helps.

Otherwise, call Pioneer technical support - they are very responsive and will help you further.
hyghwayman likes this.

post #101 of 807 Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Pioneer VSX-1021. 1 year old bought from Amazon.
setup with def tech 7 speakers ( combination of ceiling , pro 800 speakers)
my receiver is not picking signals from any sources [roku, apple tv, ps3] all connected via HDMI unless I restart [power off on from remote] receiver. receiver is connected to HDTV via HDMI .
this happens if for example at night I switch off TV, and stop playing apple tv and leave power on for appletv, receiver and morning I try to power on apple tv and change input type to apple tv and change receiver input to apple tv but nothing comes up [receiver front panel shows that input type is changed]. at this point I have to restart receiver.
Air play works anytime no issues. but if the gap is about 1-2 hours between my tv time then the receiver picks up the signal , issue is only after long hours . can anyone please advise ? I have swapped hdmi cables waited a night but no change . this issue is happening for past 2 months. I think it worked fine in the beginning.
post #102 of 807 Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Call Pioneer technical support - they are very responsive and will help you further.

post #103 of 807 Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Post-update, Pandora has been working for me; if your Internet radio stations are working, then it sounds like your network is OK. Maybe try re-setting the Pandora username/password via the web interface (i.e. http:///1000/pandora_account.asp) and see if that helps.
Otherwise, call Pioneer technical support - they are very responsive and will help you further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

you have to go into settings and reset up Pandora get a new user code and log in again just like the initial setup.
post #104 of 807 Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 12
Trying to find a way to be able to access my Pandora stations directly, either thru IR remote or over the Ethernet connection on a vsx-1122.
I would be using a home automation app to control the receiver, either thru the LAN port or IR, and so far what I hearing is the favorite
list, assuming Pandora stations can be added to it, is accessed by scrolling thru the list.

Anyone know if it is possible to access Pandora stations directly using IR or thru the Ethernet port?

Thanks,

Carl
post #105 of 807 Old 12-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcuevas View Post

you have to go into settings and reset up Pandora get a new user code and log in again just like the initial setup.

I did not have to do that... I simply re-added my username and password and everything worked. The 'user code' to which you refer is how you setup the AVR for vTuner, not Pandora.

post #106 of 807 Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Hi all. I am setting up the 1122 in a two zone configuration. I have gone through all posts here and understand that only analog sources can go through zone 2. But my primary source would be airplay and I have seen posts here that AirPlay does work with zone 2, however, I have not been able to get this to work. Works fine in zone 1.
Can someone help me with the instructions to do this. I have the control app as well as the remote.
Thanks in advance!
post #107 of 807 Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsonrl View Post

Hi all. I am setting up the 1122 in a two zone configuration. I have gone through all posts here and understand that only analog sources can go through zone 2. But my primary source would be airplay and I have seen posts here that AirPlay does work with zone 2, however, I have not been able to get this to work. Works fine in zone 1.
Can someone help me with the instructions to do this. I have the control app as well as the remote.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, I do this all of the time - works great. You need to power on zone 2 and then select Input Net for zone 2. Then, sound should play in both zones. One thing that is annoying with zone 2 on this receiver: you can't switch the Net source once you have powered on zone 2 and selected zone 2 net output. So, for example, if you want to switch from Pandora to internet radio, you have to power off zone 2, switch net source and then power zone 2 back on and switch the net source to match (if I have that right).

Hope that helps...

post #108 of 807 Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks. I will give that a go..
post #109 of 807 Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM

What is the equivalent of Input Net on the iControlAv application? Can you do the same thing from there? Thanks...
post #110 of 807 Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsonrl View Post

What is the equivalent of Input Net on the iControlAv application? Can you do the same thing from there? Thanks...

If you mean the 2012 version, I use Media Server to setup for AirPlay on zone 2.

post #111 of 807 Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM

I just got a new VSX-1122-K. My issue is with the analog inputs. The checked the spec sheet before purchasing and also looked at images online to verify. But I can only get audio from one of the three analog inputs. There are labeled:

DVD
SAT/CBL
Analog IN (CD) Assignable

I can only get sound from the CD input. I am trying to plug in CD player and an 8-Track to two of the three input. The other issue is I don't see those analog input when going through the inputs on the receiver. Can anyone provide some assistance?

Also, the other issue I ahve is that the rear Ethernet port does not seem to be working. I took the Ethernet cable from my previously working blu-ray player and plugged it into the receiver, and I do not get a link light on the router, nor does the receiver get an IP address.
post #112 of 807 Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM

I just got a new VSX-1122-K. My issue is with the analog inputs. The checked the spec sheet before purchasing and also looked at images online to verify. But I can only get audio from one of the three analog inputs. There are labeled:

DVD
SAT/CBL

I can only get sound from the CD input. I am trying to plug in CD player and an 8-Track to two of the three input. The other issue is I don't see those analog input when going through the inputs on the receiver. Can anyone provide some assistance?

Also, the other issue I ahve is that the rear Ethernet port does not seem to be working. I took the Ethernet cable from my previously working blu-ray player and plugged it into the receiver, and I do not get a link light on the router, nor does the receiver get an IP address.
post #113 of 807 Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

glad it worked for you smile.gif
a clean drive is the way to go.
we can't expect the receiver to be smart enough to know which files to ignore. even files on the drive with another OS, like Linux, that Windows might not read are not good idea. when it comes to firmware or things like a motherboard BIOS, you cannot assume anything and there's a risk if the files are corrupt or other files are present that can interfere with the process.
worst case, it can brick the device you're trying to update. best case, it just doesn't install.
I don't know all the issues at work here. All I know is when several people started posting about problems, I downloaded the file to try it myself, used a PNY 8 GB drive, deleted files from it, formatted it, and successfully installed 2 different updates, the first HTC update and the Pandora-HTC update, in order. No problems. Another poster followed my advice with a 16GB and it worked for him 1st try. Hard to understand why the drive mfg would make a difference, maybe it does. but clearly the size is not the sole factor involved. it may be a combination of drive size, formatting as FAT 32 for a larger drive vs FAT16 for a smaller one - maybe a little luck, too wink.gif
post #114 of 807 Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 AM

+ 1 I bought a Giga 4GB Drive at Radio Shack that wouldn't work. Got a PNY 8GB , formatted in Fat32 , copied the 7 .Bin files and it worked first time. What the pioneer instructions don't tell you is that you need to do a hard reset on the from panel for the update to work. Then either enter your user name and password using the receivers menu by choosing Pandora and existing user to connect back to your Pandora account - or - I emailed Pandora and they reset my receiver , got a new access code using Icontrolav2012 , went to the Pandora/Pioneer web site ,entered the new access code , then selected enter/continue on the pioneer screen where the new access code is displayed. Now Pandora is active. What a PITA. Hope this helps.
post #115 of 807 Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Brown View Post

DVD
SAT/CBL

If you cannot get an IP address, and you are confident that everything else is working, return it to the store. Or, call Pioneer support.

For the analog inputs, read the manual. Only the CD analog input is assignable; for the other inputs, you need to select that input and choose the analog signal.

post #116 of 807 Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM

Thinking about picking this up for $320. Do many of you owners recommend this? It's for a bedroom HTPC with Energy Take 5 and Pioneer SW8.

Just looking for great sound quality for music and movies. The internet apps may serve useful as well.
post #117 of 807 Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM

My first time posting. I did a lot of reading on these boards before I bought my last home entertainment system. I'm an AV novice, and probably really low as far as my tech savvy with home theater stuff. That being said, please forgive me if my questions seem dumb or make me seem clueless.

I had an Onkyo that had some of the known issues happen to me as far as switching to the different HDMI inputs. That was my first ever home entertainment system.
I can't take it anymore and need a new receiver. After doing some research it seems like this is the best one within the price range. The Denon is highly recommended but seems to not have enough HDMI inputs that I was hoping for, and costs a bit more.

I am guessing I can use my Onkyo speakers and wire and just hook them up to the new receiver when I get it. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Is the android/iphone app that handles some of the remote control options difficult to understand, operate or sync up with the receiver?

Anything else a novice and person who is just getting the VSX-122-K should know?

Thanks in advance. Also I don't mind people letting me know if I do something that breaks AV message board norms. I don't get offended very easily at all.
post #118 of 807 Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseBlade View Post

My first time posting.

I am guessing I can use my Onkyo speakers and wire and just hook them up to the new receiver when I get it. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Welcome to AVS. In short, 'Yes', you should be able to use your Onkyo speakers without any problems; unless the Onkyo speakers use non-standard speaker connections, in which case you just cut them off, strip the insulation and use the new ends directly.
Quote:
Is the android/iphone app that handles some of the remote control options difficult to understand, operate or sync up with the receiver?

The iPhone/Android app is best in class for the Japanese AVRs, IMHO, and I've used all of them. Take your time and learn how to use it, however, as it's not as intuitive as apps like Apple's remote app ... see below;
Quote:
Anything else a novice and person who is just getting the VSX-1122-K should know?

I absolutely love my 1122-K (excepting the frustrating upgrade experience I recently had), but you would do well to sit down and read the manual before setting up and using the system. You are welcomed to start with the Setup Navigator, but this AVR is feature rich and you will save yourself a lot of time by reading the manual. Enjoy and post back here if you get stuck on something.
hyghwayman and FranchiseBlade like this.

post #119 of 807 Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks so much for the helpful info. I'll see if I can read the manual online before the new receiver even arrives.

::EDIT::
I was just glancing at the manual. And I just had a quick question that would probably be answered once I got my system, but I thought I'd ask anyway to see if I could get some clarification before hand.

Looking at the remote and the inputs it seemed like I would probably plug the xbox into the HDMI 4 input. The Blue Ray would be plugged into the BD input, and the WII would be plugged into one of the non-HDMI inputs. Of course the DirectTV would be in the CBL/SAT input. On the remote control picture in the manual it looks like there isn't a switched labeled for the HDMI 4 input. Am I wrong?

I guess it doesn't matter because I could plug the XBOX into the DVD input or the DVR input. But did I miss something? Is there an a button preset on the remote for the HDMI 4?
post #120 of 807 Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseBlade View Post

Thanks so much for the helpful info. I'll see if I can read the manual online before the new receiver even arrives.
::EDIT::
I was just glancing at the manual. And I just had a quick question that would probably be answered once I got my system, but I thought I'd ask anyway to see if I could get some clarification before hand.
Looking at the remote and the inputs it seemed like I would probably plug the xbox into the HDMI 4 input. The Blue Ray would be plugged into the BD input, and the WII would be plugged into one of the non-HDMI inputs. Of course the DirectTV would be in the CBL/SAT input. On the remote control picture in the manual it looks like there isn't a switched labeled for the HDMI 4 input. Am I wrong?
I guess it doesn't matter because I could plug the XBOX into the DVD input or the DVR input. But did I miss something? Is there an a button preset on the remote for the HDMI 4?

Good catch. The challenge with using numbered HDMI inputs is that there is no direct access to them via the remote or even using a programmable remote. You need to press the 'HDMI' button repeatedly until you arrive at the desired input. You can, however, tell the receiver to 'skip' unused inputs by going into the setup and setting the 'skip' to 'yes' or something like that.

It's a real pain and has kept me from using the numbered HDMI inputs for anything, although as I note above they are 'skippable' and they can be renamed and even have optical/coax digital audio inputs assigned.

The good news is that there are plenty of 'labeled' inputs. I have my system setup as follows:

- Pioneer BDP-62FD - Input BD - HDMI (BD) & coax audio into a pre-amp for powered zone 2

- Apple TV - Input DVR/BDR - HDMI (DVR/BDR) & optical audio into pre-amp for powered zone 2

- Onkyo C-S5VL SACD Player - Input CD - Analog 1 (analog audio)

- Wii - Input DVD - component video and analog audio

Finally, I have analog audio out connected to a pre-amp for powered zone 2 (includes items mentioned above, as well as Pandora, Internet radio, et al.).

I will be adding a Comcast cable box shortly to the setup and that will go into the available Cable/Sat HDMI and analog audio (again, for powered zone 2). After all that, I would need to resort to the numbered HDMI inputs.

Hope that helps...

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page