Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
VSX-1122-K
7.2-Channel 3D Ready A/V
This thread is for owners and or potential owners to ask and share info on said receiver.

Pioneer Product Page and Specs
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Product Info Quoted from Pioneer Site:

Transform your Device into a Powerful Remote Control
Communicating with the VSX-1122-k wirelessly through your home network is easy with Pioneer's iControlAV2012 app, downloadable at no charge through iTunes® and Google Play®, turning your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad device or select AndroidTM devices into a powerful remote control for your receiver. The all new iControlAV2012 is fully redesigned, incorporating everything from basic volume and input selection to advanced features like EQ adjustments and Internet Radio control. iControlAV2012 includes enhanced features like vertical and horizontal orientation and intuitive control of music from networked PCs as well as a super- cool finger EQ adjust screen; simply draw the EQ curve to your desired sound preference. New Sound Explorer gives you easy access to experiment with the many powerful sound enhancements the VSX-1122-k offers.

Fine-Tune Your Sound with Advanced MCACC - Ultimate Sound Control
Like a musical instrument, your home theater system needs to be tuned. Pioneer's Advanced Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC) provides an optimized, multi-channel listening experience calibrated and customized specifically to your room by measuring every speaker's connection, and noting size and distance from the listening point, sound levels and timbre.

Advanced Qdeo™ Video Processing. Picture Perfect Whatever the Source
Using Qdeo™ processing technology and Pioneer’s extensive video know-how makes viewing a truly immersive viewing experience. The VSX-1122-K provides video conversion from composite and component video to HDMI for a single-wire high-definition audio and video solution as well as up to 1080p video scaling for an exceptional picture regardless of the source, creating natural and noise-free video for maximum performance and flexibility.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tweaks, Tips and Tricks

1. Firmware update can ONLY be done via USB, make sure to reformat to FAT32 even if it is already FAT32 (Mine was already formatted to FAT32, but wouldn't read, reformatted and it worked perfectly)

2. Enter your Pandora credentials through the OSD, not the AVControl2012 app.

3. Download latest firmware here Note: This firmware update cannot be performed via the Internet. It must be performed using a USB memory device.

4. Download manual here

5. EASY PANDORA ACCOUNT ACCESS:

This is the web server screen, the best configuration method so far for Pandora and it works perfectly. You just have to write the network address of the VSX-1122-k using your favorite internet browser from a PC, iPad, iPhone, etc... connected to the same home network.

I bought the VSX-1122-k after owning the VSX-816-k for about 6yrs., it was time to upgrade as I needed / wanted a receiver with HDMI.
With that said, I am very happy with my purchase and would love to hear from other owners.
hyl768s likes this.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the 1122-K last week. I am pretty happy overall with the product. Plenty of sound choices, connections, and easy to set-up/use. The iPhone app is probably one of my favorite features. I can increase the BASS more-so than just relying on the MCACC. It's also much easier to select my sound, (theater) options than cycling through them on the remote.

I'm currently running 5.1, but will be upgrading to 7.1 once my new speaker wire and banana plugs arrive. I do have a slight problem with my surround, but I'll be starting a new thread on that in hopes to find some help.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend to others. I initially bought a Yamaha 671, but there was hardly any bass to my sub. I think it may have been an issue with the preout though.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorRocker View Post

I just bought the 1122-K last week. I am pretty happy overall with the product. Plenty of sound choices, connections, and easy to set-up/use. The iPhone app is probably one of my favorite features. I can increase the BASS more-so than just relying on the MCACC. It's also much easier to select my sound, (theater) options than cycling through them on the remote.
I'm currently running 5.1, but will be upgrading to 7.1 once my new speaker wire and banana plugs arrive. I do have a slight problem with my surround, but I'll be starting a new thread on that in hopes to find some help.
Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend to others. I initially bought a Yamaha 671, but there was hardly any bass to my sub. I think it may have been an issue with the preout though.
thanks for posting, what kind of issue/problem are you having with the surround?

XboxLive GT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 12
This was my first Av unit I purchased Saturday along with my Paradigms. I like the unit but would like to know 2 things and maybe I don't know what to look for since I'm new at this, but is there a way to pass signal to the T.v. with out using the speakers? Also is there a feature that helps adjust commercial sounds? when ever it goes to commercials the sound is so loud.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Guys - this is my first post on AVS Forums and I'm happy to be a proud papa of a new VSX1122 and 5.1 System in my house! Looking forward to chatting about setups and learning a lot from these forums!

I have my first questions. I've got my system all set up - 5.1 in the main zone and a second zone outside on my patio. My main source that I use is Airplay.

It seems as though if I am using airplay through the main zone, then turn on zone 2 using the icontrolav2012 ap, it only sometimes sends the airplay signal through the second zone. Is there a way to control the second zone more reliably? Or better yet, send the airplay ONLY through zone 2 and not zone 1. I don't think I've set up anything wrong, as both zones are working properly. It's just with Airplay that it gets funky.

Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Not sure about the commerical sounds, but you definitely can pass through signals. You have to make sure the HDMI control menu is on.

Steps:
1. System Setup Menu, enter
2. HDMI Setup, enter
3. Select "Control Mode" and switch to on, press enter.
4. Select Standby Through and select the HDMI port that you want to pass through.

Viola, there you go! The upconverter will still convert the video signals, too.
hyghwayman likes this.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Need help....I have a JVC HD-56FH97 and I recently purchased a Pioneer vsx-1122-K (new). When I try to set up the receiver I can not get the video to appear on the TV via HDMI. I know the TV input and the HDMI cable are good because I tried my xbox 360 on it. One of the questions during the setup process is does the TV HDMI have arc. Does this TV have arc? Will I have to hookup this receiver only by component cable? I can not set up the surround sound until I complete setup navigator and it will not let me complete the setup process. The navigator keeps kicking me back to the prior page with I try to do the speaker test. Any help will be appreciated!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Subject: Using Airplay can make the SAT HDMI video input or processing temporarily dead
Firmware: 1-157-076-014-091

I've had my VSX-1122-K for just one week and have found (2) problems so far:

1) No SAT video is processed through the input 2

- After I start, then finish an Airplay session, when I switch back to Sattelite (HDMI input 2), no video is output to the TV. (Sound does get processed via optical)
- I know the reciever can output video, because I can go to other inputs, like DVD and they do accept input in and push video out to the TV
- If I power down the receiver for a while, it's OK after.
- I can repeat this problem about 50% of the time....at other times, the problem does not occur

2) Occasionally when I start an airplay session, the receiver does not swtich to stereo mode. Instead it seems to be in the last previous mode (example, Surround mode because I was looking at SAT TV). Other times, it switches ok to stereo in Airplay.

3) This is just an obervation, as I think it's probably a limitation: When exiting airplay mode (exiting on iPhone or iTunes on laptop), the receiver does not power down by itself.
(airplay mode does start the receiver up from stand-by OK and very quickly)
(when I say exiting airplay mode, I mean switching my iPhone mode out of the airplay selected receiver and back to itself)

Has anyone else seen these issues?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM

I figured out a way to restore the video
- Unplug the receiver from wall power
- After re-plugging into wall power, video is input into SAT
Old 09-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathracer View Post

Subject: Using Airplay can make the SAT HDMI video input or processing temporarily dead
Firmware: 1-157-076-014-091
I've had my VSX-1122-K for just one week and have found (2) problems so far:
1) No SAT video is processed through the input 2
- After I start, then finish an Airplay session, when I switch back to Sattelite (HDMI input 2), no video is output to the TV. (Sound does get processed via optical)
- I know the reciever can output video, because I can go to other inputs, like DVD and they do accept input in and push video out to the TV
- If I power down the receiver for a while, it's OK after.
- I can repeat this problem about 50% of the time....at other times, the problem does not occur
2) Occasionally when I start an airplay session, the receiver does not swtich to stereo mode. Instead it seems to be in the last previous mode (example, Surround mode because I was looking at SAT TV). Other times, it switches ok to stereo in Airplay.
3) This is just an obervation, as I think it's probably a limitation: When exiting airplay mode (exiting on iPhone or iTunes on laptop), the receiver does not power down by itself.
(airplay mode does start the receiver up from stand-by OK and very quickly)
(when I say exiting airplay mode, I mean switching my iPhone mode out of the airplay selected receiver and back to itself)
Has anyone else seen these issues?

Here is a better work-around to this problem

After exiting Airplay mode the user should not power off the receiver right away
User should switch the input to HDMI input2
The SAT of CBL image will appear (if SAT of CBL box is on)
Power down the receiver
The next time the receiver is powered up, the problem will not occur

Perhaps Pioneer could make a firmware change, such that when Airplay mode is exited and a user initiates a power off,,,,,the receiver switches input modes before power off
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM

Location: Auckland, New Zealand. 2011 Rugby World Cup Champions!
Gidday all, I'm having an issue with a clients new VSX1122 around CEC control and wondered if anyone has any ideas?
The set up is the 1122 connected to a Samsung PS60E551(brand new). Source equipment is a Pioneer BDP150 bluray, Pace "MySky"
HD Sat PVR and a Windows media centre PC - this is connected via dvi out from the media centre so, CEC is not applicable.
All interconnects are HDMI v1.4, hi speed with ethernet and ARC.
The first thing I noticed is that with HDMI control set to on, I can still assign and rename the HDMI inputs...normally, not possible.
Following the "synchronized amp" set-up as detailed in the manual (which has worked perfectly on other models previously) CEC control does not function at all.
Forgetting the PVR (and obviously, the media centre PC), with the synchronized amp mode enabled I should be able to adjust the receivers volume using the vol control on the TV, when I turn the TV power off the amp should shut down and from a cold start if, I turn the BDP on that should, turn on the receiver, select BD as an input and turn on the TV.
On the tools menu of the Samsung TV one can select "Anynet CEC" and CEC devices are listed - in this case, the receiver and bluray should be there. They're not. The receiver won't even interact with the bluray let alone, the tv.
CEC is definitely set to on, on the tv and bluray etc.
The firmware version is the latest available, I've confirmed the connections several times.
As an aside, "standby through" is set to on, HDMI2 (cable/sat) however, only the pic appears there is no sound.
This should come through the TV speakers albeit, in the sound menu of the TV "external speaker" is selected.
Finally, ARC is set to on but, there is no sound from the tv's HD tuner back to the amp.

Apologies, this has ended up being several issues cunningly interweaved as one, anyone with any thoughts or similar experience, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Airplay doesn't go into "Stereo" sound mode

Found another small bug with Airplay.
Usually when I initiate an airply session, the receiver powers up and goes into "Stereo" sound mode as it should.
Occasionally, it doesn't go into stereo mode. Instead it sesms to be in the last mode the receiver was used....example Dolby or Surround mode.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 AM

I purchased one a few weeks ago based on my experience with the 1021-k (wife loves airplay from her phone and PC).

Running into multiple issues:

1. Receiver does not remember surround setting for airplay (1021 does). If I set to EXT STEREO and power off, that setting is lost.
2. After the receiver sits for a while, if powered on no video signal is negotiated. Sometimes replugging HDMI to Samsung 40" works, most of the time I need to unplug the power to get it all working again.
3. Occasionally on power on when the video hangs, the receiver prevents my Xbox360 from starting up.

Updated firmware out of the box.

Now I saw that others are having similar issues. I'm going to try not using HDMI 2 and see if that helps anything. I've also opened a support case with Pioneer just in case.

Very irritating given how easy the 1021k went in.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil53029 View Post

2. After the receiver sits for a while, if powered on no video signal is negotiated. Sometimes replugging HDMI to Samsung 40" works, most of the time I need to unplug the power to get it all working again.

Updated firmware out of the box.
Now I saw that others are having similar issues. I'm going to try not using HDMI 2 and see if that helps anything. I've also opened a support case with Pioneer just in case.
Very irritating given how easy the 1021k went in.

I'm having a similar problem. When I change inputs, the video won't come on but audio will. The red HDMI indicator on the right doesn't come on either. I have to switch inputs back and forth a few times or replug the source cable to get video. I actually just got the receiver back from having the HDMI board replaced due to this issue, but it appears that wasn't the problem after all (unless I coincidentally got another bad board).
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn614 View Post

I'm having a similar problem. When I change inputs, the video won't come on but audio will. The red HDMI indicator on the right doesn't come on either. I have to switch inputs back and forth a few times or replug the source cable to get video. I actually just got the receiver back from having the HDMI board replaced due to this issue, but it appears that wasn't the problem after all (unless I coincidentally got another bad board).
I had similar problems with our VSX-1021k. Sometimes the video would partially switch, leaving multiple images on the screen. I fixed that by limiting the DirecTV box to send only one screen resolution. The more perplexing problem was that the audio would disappear, usually after changing channels. That took two trips to the local Pioneer tech, who finally solved the problem by replacing the entire HDMI board.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Liked: 36
Sorry to hear folks are having HDMI issues... I have narrowed my next AVR purchase to include an 1122 and I'm curious about the FLAC playback capability.

Tech specs and the manual list 192/24 file support, which is amazing; does anyone know if that includes gapless playback?

Thanks, in advance.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Has anyone noticed any Airplay disturbances since updating IOS devices to Ios6? My streaming has gotten very jumpy!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With my VSX-816 I had video and audio drop outs from time to time but none at all with my 1122?
Streaming works fine via DLNA from PC or Android phone.

XboxLive GT -
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Sorry to hear folks are having HDMI issues... I have narrowed my next AVR purchase to include an 1122 and I'm curious about the FLAC playback capability.
Tech specs and the manual list 192/24 file support, which is amazing; does anyone know if that includes gapless playback?
Thanks, in advance.

I received my answer direct from the helpful folks at Pioneer technical support. The answer is 'No', but that's not a deal-breaker for me. Still waiting to hear back from other vendors on feature questions.

I'll say this much about Pioneer, their service people returned my e-mail request very quickly.
hyghwayman likes this.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM

I just picked up this receiver a couple of weeks ago but I'm having a strange issue with the software. Everytime i go to install it, it asks for my language preference in which I select English. I then get a runtime error and the program launches, but in Japanese! I can't figure out how to switch to English. Has anyone else had this issue? Please help.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mine uploaded without any issues, sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you tried the Pioneer technical support line?

XboxLive GT -
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM

I have noticed that my SAT video output is being squeezed, like I'm watching it
zoomed in. I don't think it's my satellite box (Directv) as my other TV is fine with an identical
connection (but no receiver inserrted). I've tried different settings on the receiver. I was wondering
if anybody has experienced the same problem. Thanks for any feedback.

Update: This was resolved through the satellite box. I had a problem with the HDMI input when I
set up the receiver (with power off, signal stopped being passed through. I had to reset the receiver for
it to return). So I was suspecting the 1122 in this.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM

Just curious what everybody's normal listening volume is set at on their 1122's? I had a Pioneer 1021 that died under warranty, and after sitting in the shop for a few weeks, Pioneer has agreed to ship me a brand new 1122 as a replacement. One of the problems I had with my 1021, is that it never got very loud. My normal listening volume was about -9 to -6db. The fact that my wife said it wasn't loud enough was a tip off that something was wrong. With my old 816, it was deafening at anything over -30. I called Pioneer multiple times about this problem, but they said it was normal. It didn't seem right to me that a receiver with much more power wouldn't get as loud as one with much less. Eventually it just broke and wouldn't turn on. I'm just concerned that I'm going to have the same problem with the 1122 if this is considered normal performance by Pioneer. Any input is appreciated.

Pioneer VSX-1021
Samsung UN55D7000
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On my old VSX-816, -30 to -25 seemed good
now on my VSX-1122, -25 to -20 is perfectly loud for me w/BR and -30 for DVD

XboxLive GT -
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Hi all, I have a pioneer vsx-60 without a remote and it is hard to program the receiver without it. Will I be losing anything by going with the 1122? I can get a new one for a pretty good price. I do have a remote for the 42 but can't do video adjustments with that remote. Thanks.

Dale B
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

On my old VSX-816, -30 to -25 seemed good
now on my VSX-1122, -25 to -20 is perfectly loud for me w/BR and -30 for DVD

Why do all the new Pioneer receivers seem to have much lower volume than the older models despite the new ones being rated at much higher power?

Pioneer VSX-1021
Samsung UN55D7000
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am using inefficient Pioneer speakers that get plenty loud with a lot left on the V knob if ever needed! So for me I have no concerns of power or low volumes.

XboxLive GT -
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM

Bought the Pioneer 1122. Its obviously a very capable receiver with many features that I haven't yet made use of, but one small irritation for a new user is that the remote control that it comes with, as it seems very confusing (to me). At Best Buy, I had also been advised of this issue, but I ignored. I might suggest that Pioneer (or another confident user) could put out a painless Youtube video to summerize how to make use of this remote. The android app version seems to have most of what I want, with a clearer approach.

The other problem I am having with my new setup is that I'm not clear the Pioneer 1122 is making good (or any) use of my Klipsch (sub-12) powered subwoofer. I have heard and felt no noise so far as I play music. In the automated speaker calibration (very cool), it does cause it to sound, and results in describing the front and center speakers as large, and the side and back speakers as small. The powered sub is using one LFE input from Sub 1 output of the 1122, which is the L input of L and R on my subwoofer.

2 Front Klipsch F-3's
http://www.klipsch.com/f-3-floorstanding-speaker

1 Center Klipsch C-3
http://www.klipsch.com/c-3-center-speaker

2 Rear Klipsch S-3's
http://www.klipsch.com/s-3-surround-speaker

2 Back Klipsch F-1's
http://www.klipsch.com/f-1-floorstanding-speaker

1 Subwoofer Klipsch sub-12
http://www.klipsch.com/sub-12-subwoofer

Thanks for any thoughts you have !
Steve
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM

In re-reading my last message, it seemed somewhat negative, which wasn't what I intended. I'm actually happy with the Pioneer 1122, and its nice to be able to use my android phone to turn on sound in a zone 2 (where the remote is generally not present). TI'm not an apple user, so I have just started messing with Airplay, and see this as big plus for the unit. And the availability of an internet connection for radio is also an improvement over my old system.

The other point I should have made above is that I can get sound from my subwoofer if I manually set all other speakers to "small". This setting option sounds better than where I am otherwise, but I suspect the MCACC auto-calibration is smarter than I am - so I'm probably not setting something right.

Incidentally, I set the low pass on my subwoofer all the way to 120 Hz during calibration (and use), because I figured the Pioneer receiver would determine how it was best to distribute the sound. I also tried calibration at 80Hz, but I still haven't noticed the sub putting out. This particular Klipsch sub-12 has a switch between auto and on, and an annoying (way to bright) blue light on the front that is on (signal) during both calibration and use. I am a neophyte, so I would appreciate any advice on the system - even if I didn't ask.

Thanks,
Steeve
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 12
I don't own a Pioneer AVR yet but in the research I've read, your best bet is to go ahead and set all speakers as "small". This will ensure that the LFE will be sent to your sub-woofer.

"Large" assumes that your Fronts will handle the LFE and you'd have to change your sub-woofer settings to "Plus" (or something like that). Although the "Plus" works, it has been suggested that it isn't optimal. (Didn't fully comprehend why)

These are general rules, but you might give it a go.
hyghwayman and Steve1122 like this.

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K
User Tag List