Please help me decide! Onkyo TX-NR616 OR Denon AVR-2112CI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time poster here...

Setting up a home theater system in our basement and trying to decide on the receiver. After a ton of research and looking for the best deal, I have it narrowed down (I think) to the Onkyo tx-nr616 and the Denon AVR-2112ci. The Onkyo currently sells for $399 with free shipping, and the Denon would be around $470 with shipping.

Our setup: Epson 3010 projector, Polk speakers throughout (I have an older Infinity sub that still works great). This will require a powerline adapter to connect to the ethernet port on either receiver (if anyone has suggestions there as far as what brand powerline adapter, I'm all ears as well!)

What I like about the Onkyo: Price, THX seems intriguing, I love that it has Spotify
What I don't like: I've read a lot of reviews that suggest the unit is still buggy, unhappy it doesn't have AirPlay

What I like about the Denon: AirPlay, better version of Audyssey, seems to be more reliable
What I don't like: higher price, no way of connecting a wi-fi dongle if the powerline adapter doesn't end up working, user interface / OSD seems archaic and ugly (this is a relatively big deal for me, though I really don't know what the Onkyo OSD / Interface looks like)

Wondering if anyone has experience with either units, or in general if anyone has suggestions as to which might be better. If there's any other info I can provide as far as our setup, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Liked: 12
I recently purchased the TX-NR616 - a few weeks back. I haven't ran into any issues, although I have read the 'horror stories' out there. It does seem that the product launch for Onkyo's 20112 receivers have not been kind to the customers, nor themselve's (especially with customer support). Just make sure to update the firmware from the start and I think that will solve most issues. I know some of the issues are from recent purchasers, such as myself, but it seems like others are from earlier adopters that had the much earlier shoddy firmware and have struggled through everything up until 'today'.

Anyhow, like you, I was considering a Denon (about twice the price of the Onkyo), but I thought I would give the 616 a shot mainly for the ridiculous feature-set (8 HDMI, THX cert, etc.) for the low price, and I can tell you that I am extremely satisified. The network features are great, and even better than the Denon models, including the selection and GUI. While AirPlay is not there right now, it could potentially be with a firmware update if Onkyo licenses it. With that said, an AppleTV though is probably the better choice for such a task (and will also include video - including iOS device/Apple computer screen sharing. The AirPlay found in AVR's are audiio only). You can also check out AirMusic that will transmit your music over DLNA from your Apple device: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airmusic/id409782234?mt=8

Actually, thinking about it more, probably the main reason I went with the Onkyo is because the dealer I went to no longer carried Denon, due to contractual reasons. I specifically went to this company because of its history with Denon, but when I got there I couldn't find any and asked. Apparently Denon didn't like its products being sold with so many other competing models (in this highly successful. large volume company).

While there has been much talk about how the Onkyo receiver has some 'cheap' amps in them, I do also know that its output wattage is higher than the Denon's (100w vs 90w - and in some cases can spike up to 115w). I have my Onkyo pushing a 7.1 MartinLogan setup and I have been very impressed.

The Denon 'CI' line does carry a 3-year warranty vs 2-year for the Onkyo, if that is a concern for you.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, and the odds out there would put the Denon way above for reliability and potentially no-issues vs the Onkyo, but again...I am very happy with the NR616 and glad I purchased it.
sbonkyo likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM

If you want it to work, then you need the Denon!

The poster above is one of the lucky ones. I was not. I bought the 616 about six weeks ago. Like you, I was attracted by the awesome feature set for the price, but I returned it three weeks back. It failed to turn on with the remote unless Network Standby was selected and then it would drop HDMI output every few days. I was completely unable to connect to Spotify, no matter what I did, too. Onkyo put two firmware upgrades out in that time, neither of which fixed the problem - and, in fact, bricked some units. eek.gif

There is little or no response from Onkyo other than "we are working on the problem" and "We'll have a fix soon". All attempts to contact them through the forum are met with either nothing or generic message telling you to contact the service department.

None of it is good enough, IMHO, to warrant keeping the unit.

Sadly, I'm having difficulty in finding a replacement. I bought a Yamaha RX-V673, but I have issues with it, so I ordered the Denon AVR-2312, which is sitting at home right now waiting for me to finish work, so I can check it out. I hate having to spend $200 more, but I figure if it works out of the box, it's worth the extra!

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark
post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I was also looking at the TX-NR616. I seen that it has 2 HDMI out, can you run 2 TV's at the same time? I get alot of UFC PPV's and would like to set a 2nd TV up for the people who have a hard time seeing. Also for Superbowl and other sporting events.
sbonkyo likes this.

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

I was also looking at the TX-NR616. I seen that it has 2 HDMI out, can you run 2 TV's at the same time? I get alot of UFC PPV's and would like to set a 2nd TV up for the people who have a hard time seeing. Also for Superbowl and other sporting events.

Yes
post #6 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

^^^ Thanks for the quick reply.

Living Room

Game Room
post #7 of 13 Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM

I had just bought a new 60" Samsung 3D 7000, Samsung 3D blueray and had an old Onkyo I loved for the sound. The old Onkyo just didn't have the punch so I bought the Onkyo TX NR 616 because the last Onkyo I had worked flawlessly for 15 years. I loved my old one and figured the new one would be the same, boy was I wrong... At first I couldn't get it to work at all so thinking that times had changed and I was out of date I actually hired a guy who was a PRO with 27 years experience installing home systems. That's when I got the news from him that their were problems with the new Onkyos. After he left it worked fine for 1 day and I had the HDMI thing start to happen and voices wouldn't match the brand new Blueray. I tried all the setting to get it to match and it wouldn't. He came back out and reset the system and it worked that night but the next day the same thing happened. I took that one back and got a new one and called the Onkyo support team on the phone for 1 and a half hours and we finally got it running. But the next morning it wouldn't work so I called the support team again waited 40min to talk to someone, spent over an hour on the phone and tried getting the July 2012 firmware installed but it wouldn't take it and they finally told me to take it back and get another. They suggested getting a new one and before I set it up do the firmware update so back to the store I went for my third one. Guess what, the same thing happened and I called Onkyo again and after 1 hour and 30 min of waiting and not being able to get someone on the phone I finally gave up. I bought a Yamaha Aventage and set it up in minutes. It sounds awesome love the features and have had absolutley no problems with it. Onkyo was a huge disappointment and their support team suck!
MD
post #8 of 13 Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

I already went through one. The store shipped me out a brand new one and I'm on the first day, so far its working fine. The first one went out in 2 days! I did the update and everything like I was suppose to. Hoping that I don't have to go through all of this again. It get annoying wiring a new reciever every other day.

I have a question, my previous Onkyo was 80 watts per channel. This one is over 100 per channel but the volume is WAY different. On the older one with the volume around 20 it was just about perfect for TV. Now with the new one, the volume is around 50+ to be about the same loudness. Why is this? I don't like playing the reciever this high, just feels wrong to me. Yes both of them were calibrated with the mic and setup was complete.

Living Room

Game Room
post #9 of 13 Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
The AVRs uses a different volume scale. The average volume will normally be 50-70% of maximum.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

For you guys with the TX-NR616, did you have to do anything special to get the 2nd HDMI out to work? Mine isn't working and I have emailed Onkyo and tried calling them. So far no luck. This is my 2nd reciever and don't want to send another one back. Any help would be appreciated.

Living Room

Game Room
post #11 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
As noted on p. 52 in the Owner's manual, the Monitor Out setting defaults to "Main" (ie. HDMI #1). In order to pass video to the HDMI #2 output, you must either change that setting to "Sub" or "Both".

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Living Room

Game Room
post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM

agree with u
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver
Gear in this thread