A good power strip? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Had a Denon AVR that went dead after 7 years, it's a boat anchor now. Pulled an ADCOM GFA 6000 out of storage and the sound difference is incredible.

Went with a refurb Denon AVR 3312, using it as a pre amp. Of course, while rewiring everything I had two questions.

Is there a recommended power strip, one with surge protection that works and maybe conditions the power so I get an accurate level out of the 6 outlets?

I have two wall outlets of course, one for the power strip and the other is for ?????

The amp?
The Denon?
The Samsung 46" DLP? Yes, an old DLP that still runs great. It is the next piece to be replaced/upgraded

Nothing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

Personally, I would stay away from power strips as they are self-destructing (MOV based) in most cases and offer questionable protection. I have used a Brickwall for numerous years which should last forever. Certainly not the only solution but certainly one of the better ones.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnsfan View Post

Hi guys,
Had a Denon AVR that went dead after 7 years, it's a boat anchor now. Pulled an ADCOM GFA 6000 out of storage and the sound difference is incredible.
Went with a refurb Denon AVR 3312, using it as a pre amp. Of course, while rewiring everything I had two questions.
Is there a recommended power strip, one with surge protection that works and maybe conditions the power so I get an accurate level out of the 6 outlets?
I have two wall outlets of course, one for the power strip and the other is for ?????
The amp?
The Denon?
The Samsung 46" DLP? Yes, an old DLP that still runs great. It is the next piece to be replaced/upgraded
Nothing?
Thanks

Concerning power, there is a couple schools of thought. One is to use an UPS that has AVR (automatic voltage regulation) which converts 120v A/C to DC then DC back to 120v. This provides the best isolation, however, some cheaper UPS's introduce hash. If I were to recommend one, it would always be APC.

The most rugged, well built and quite frankly, the quietest surge protection I have found is the Tripp-Lite ISO-Bar. It provides excellect MOV's for Type-3 lightning protection and very well built L/C circuit for noise isolation from both common and differential currents. More the -75dB. No one I have found builds a better one. You can make your own using something like a CorCom EMI/RFI fileter device inside your own homebrew setup.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Personally, I would stay away from power strips as they are self-destructing (MOV based) in most cases and offer questionable protection. I have used a Brickwall for numerous years which should last forever. Certainly not the only solution but certainly one of the better ones.

How then do you connect multiple components, cable box, Wii, amp, Receiver, cd player, Blu-ray player, to a single outlet with room for two plugs?

I'll click on the Brickwall, I assume it offers room for multiple inputs?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
If all you need are more outlets pick up one from WalMart or other fine shopping center. I found one with heavy wire (10 AWG) and a short pigtail (1 foot) in the tools department that works OK for me. I would plug the strip into a wall outlet and plug everything except the power amp into the strip, then plug the power amp into the other (duplex) side of the same outlet (assuming a duplex).

If you need power filtering and/or power to ride out a brown-out or black-out, that is a different question. I use an APC UPS unit to help my system survive short power blips (which happen not infrequently in our area). The AVR, BD player, and other "small stuff" is plugged into the UPS; the power amps and subs straight into the wall.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

If all you need are more outlets pick up one from WalMart or other fine shopping center. I found one with heavy wire (10 AWG) and a short pigtail (1 foot) in the tools department that works OK for me. I would plug the strip into a wall outlet and plug everything except the power amp into the strip, then plug the power amp into the other (duplex) side of the same outlet (assuming a duplex).
If you need power filtering and/or power to ride out a brown-out or black-out, that is a different question. I use an APC UPS unit to help my system survive short power blips (which happen not infrequently in our area). The AVR, BD player, and other "small stuff" is plugged into the UPS; the power amps and subs straight into the wall.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnsfan View Post

How then do you connect multiple components, cable box, Wii, amp, Receiver, cd player, Blu-ray player, to a single outlet with room for two plugs?

I had an electrician come out and install 4-plex boxes in the place of duplex boxes. So now on the entertainment wall, the outlets are 4-plex, "hospital grade" outlets so now, we have eight hospital grade outlets as opposed to four residential grade outlets. With your above setup, you'd have two open outlets.

biggrin.gif

(Our home is wired with 20 amp circuit breakers or 2,400 watts per breaker.)

-
Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I bought a APC J25B for $185. It is a power conditioner, surge protector and battery backup. It works great and is very well built.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=J25B

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.