Receiver with ability to convert/send HDMI/digital signal to Preouts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally sat down and unboxed my Pioneer VSX-1121-k receiver last week (purchased on Black Friday 2011), and started setting it up in the family room. I was trying to use the preouts on the receiver to hook up my wireless Klipsch lightspeakers and also my Sennheiser RS170 wireless headset. For the life of me, I could not get any sound to come out on the lightspeakers or wireless headsets using the preouts on the back of the receiver. After some searching online, I just now discovered that the Pioneer (and apparently many other non-high-end receivers) does not convert digital input signals to analog signals necessary for use with the preouts.

I suppose I can try running analog audio connections for each of my digital devices and see if I can make that work, but I'm curious whether there are any reasonably priced receivers that have the ability to convert digital input signals to analog for use with the pre-out connections--hopefully one with Airplay support as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Adding the analog cables is the way to go when also using HDMI, otherwise AFAIK, the only current AVR on the market that can pass PCM 2.0 over optical/digital coax to the Zone 2 pre-outs are the Denon 3312CI (last year's model actually) and higher models. This feature ends with the 3312CI; however, and is not provided on the newer 3313CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, jdsmoothie. I'm getting myself even more confused now. I did some more research, and noticed that the Pioneer manual (p.21) specifically states that the receiver cannot down-convert a digital-to-analog signal with the zone 2 outputs. However, the manual does not state any similar restrictions when describing the speaker channel preouts (p.20), which is what I've been trying to use. I called Pioneer tech support, and the rep said my set up should work (HDMI input to receiver, and wireless headsets connected via front channel L/R preouts), but he might be wrong (he was just consulting the manual).

Do you know whether the same HDMI restrictions would apply to connections using the discrete channel preouts (rather than the zone 2 outs) as well? I haven't tried other non-HDMI digital input sources yet, but will do so tonight.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

Although there is no HDMI--> analog down version via the Zone 2 pre-outs, the audio can be down converted to the main zone pre-outs as is required to pass the audio to an external amp. The transmitter for the light speakers should pass the audio to wireless speakers when connected to the FL/FR preouts.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll have to work on my setup some more tonight to see if I can get this working using the front L/R preouts. I did find this other thread however which seems to reach a different conclusion (i.e., that the preouts also only work for analog input signals), but it seemed bizarre to me that the preouts would be so limited: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1413973/pioneer-vsx-1121-k-line-level-output-to-second-amp-or-best-way-to-drive-outside-speakers

Maybe it's just user error on my part in not being able to get this to work, but not sure what I'm doing wrong unless there is a setting that has to be changed to "turn on" the preouts. I was able to get audio coming out of my front L/R speakers that were connected via speaker wires, but no audio at all from the lightspeakers that were connected to the front L/R preouts.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

In that post you linked ".... it doesn't matter whether or not you are using the avr to power zone 2 or using the pre-outs", he's referring to "Zone 2" pre-outs, not the main zone pre-outs.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

ahhh, i see now. i'm an idiot. thanks for clarification. now i just have to figure out how to make this actually work on my setup! is there any reason why the signal from the front L/R preout would not be sufficient to connect via an rca-to-1/8" headphone connector that is connected to my RS 170 wireless headphone transmitter? i've seen references to headphone amplifiers, and wasn't sure whether something like that was necessary when connecting the RS170 transmitter to the preouts on the receiver.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 AM
585-645-1006

No, as the RS-170 transmitter is providing the power to the wireless headphones so no additional amplification is required. I have a set of RS-140 headphones I use with a Denon AVR and although I've never tried connecting them to the main zone pre-outs, they work just fine connected to either the VCR analog output or Zone 2 pre-out (ie. with analog cable coming from the DVR and PS3 in addition to HDMI).

post #9 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Becareful here because neither of your devices is ment to be connected to the pre-outs of a receiver. The Klipsch Lightspeakers are apparently ment to only to be connected to line level outputs, while the RS-170 is ment to be connected to either a headphone or line level outputs.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No, as the RS-170 transmitter is providing the power to the wireless headphones so no additional amplification is required. I have a set of RS-140 headphones I use with a Denon AVR and although I've never tried connecting them to the main zone pre-outs, they work just fine connected to either the VCR analog output or Zone 2 pre-out (ie. with analog cable coming from the DVR and PS3 in addition to HDMI).

Happily, I was able to get the wireless headphones to work last night connected to the front L/R preouts. Not sure what changed since my prior attempts, but probably user error on my part. I need to try hooking up the lightspeakers again, but am assuming those should work with the preouts now that I'm able to get the wireless headphones work. Thanks for your help!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Becareful here because neither of your devices is ment to be connected to the pre-outs of a receiver. The Klipsch Lightspeakers are apparently ment to only to be connected to line level outputs, while the RS-170 is ment to be connected to either a headphone or line level outputs.

Okay, thanks for the head's up. Hopefully I don't blow anything up! smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page