Anthem Receivers - Any Good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to drive Paradigm Studio 60's fronts and center and ceiling speakers in a 7.1 setup. Good Music playback is my main priority but I also want the ability to have all the needed playback modes for Movie playback, etc. I have seen posts of people raving about the Denon 4311 on here but I am concerned the quality of SACD/DVD-A and 2 channel playback just wont be as good as my older Marantz amp. From what I was told the Anthem MRX700 is a music #1 receiver which is what I', looking for but what features will I be missing in the Anthem vs say the Denon or other receivers? Anything feature set that would put me at a disadvantage if I had the Denon or say Pioneer Elite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

No response? Anyone here have an opinion on this?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 12
I have an Anthem MRX-700 here that I have used sparodically and now have a Yamaha RX-A3010 and I still think the Anthem has the edge with 2 channel stereo listening.Yes they are not packed with features,but what is intended of them they do well.

Samsung UA60D6600
Denon AVR 4520
Emotiva XPA-3
Paradigm Signature S6's Piano Black
Paradigm Signature C5 Piano Black
Krix Atmospherix
SVS SB13 Ultra x 2 Piano Black
Samsung BD-F8500
Synology DS214 NAS Drive Dual WD Red 2Tb Drives
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
I had an MRX500 before, it sounded amazing but had tons of issues and turned out it was defective. Check out the thread I started about jt, it was quite the debaucle with Anthem support. I'm very very happy with my denon 3312ci now, I personally find it to be far superior to the anthem in features and sound quality, you could probably pick one up that meets your needs for alot less money.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I've had two MRX 700's now, waiting for a third.

The first had a "gurgling" noise from the left rear channel. exchanged it with the dealer after exactly a week.

The second has a "sizzling" static noise in the front left channel. This developed after a week. The noise changes volume on it's own (NOT related to input, volume, ARC, etc.) AND can go to all 5 channels on occasion. It IS also in the headphones when I use them. The 700 also "acts" up. When it's like that I hear some light crackling noise during 30 second skips and have codec lock "POPS" , similar to what I had BEFORE 50.23 FW, but not as extreme.

My 700 can also be a little erratic in sound quality. Bass can come and go in quantity. I was playing with speaker distance and suddenly it "kicked" in a little more.....strange. i also feel when these "channel noises" happen you get a degradation of channel separation, especially to the rears. When I replaced my first 700 with the second I noticed a significant SQ improvement. I should note I didn't have the noise in the FL channel when I initially hooked it up.

I've tried EVERYTHING, disconnected all wires, reconnected, plugged it in even at the dealer you can hear it.

As far as CS, well, I've had the current unit for 3 1/2 months. Finally, Anthem forced the dealer over to hear it. But......you know.........the usual waste of....... "they're all like that" "you should hear what I do at the store" "I can't hear it in the headphones" (easiest to hear in headphone, by the way). trust me, It's not the typical, amp noise, you get with cheap amps. Plus, it changes all the time. 1 channel, then 5 channels, volume, etc.

I've had 3 different, other AVR's in this place over 8 years, including a Marantz 5006 (from BB, just to try it), it worked fine, although the SQ was easily inferior to the Anthem. This is why I'm "trying" to not buy the typical brands.

After my experience, I can see why people just buy Japanese. They are cheaper, more reliable (codec POPs and such) available everywhere. There are few dealers for the "boutique", non-Jap brands. They rarely have ANYTHING in stock or up to date. Most are installers, who aren't too interested, especially if you mainly want to check one out. Others, work out of their basement or garage - Literally!!! I'm STILL trying to get my hands on an ARCAM 360 or 400 just to try it at home, see if I have codec POP's like a lot of people complain about. It's amazing, no wonder they are all having a hard time. Quality plus difficult availability means low sales. I live in a 3 million metro, I can't imagine what it's like in the middle of North Dakota. Oh well.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

I am the owner of a MRX500 since April and haven't had any issues. As far as defects and problems go I don't know if Anthem has more or less than other brands, my guess is about the same. You can get a defective unit with any brand but I believe Anthem support is better than most in how they respond. Based on the owner's thread it seems support is much better than any of the "major manufacturers". In regard to sound quality I am of the opinion that the difference maker is the room correction and ARC seems to very highly regarded and is what makes the MRX receivers better in my opinion.

Barry
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've had my 300 for a few months. Have had no significant problems, had some lock-ups when I first got it, but they were very responsive with a firmware upgrade. Had some recent problem playing 24/192 files in stereo mode through my Oppo, but that was fixed quickly as well.
I came from a BK Ref20 and use the MRX as a pre/pro with a Parasound amp I already had.
The limitations are only 4 HDMI inputs/1 output (I'm only using two anyway), lack of streaming and other bells and whistles (picked up by my Oppo). There's still no idevice dock yet and no apps for control.
I'm very happy so far.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I suggest that you read the MRX thread. The two negative posts are posted there too.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I suggest that you read the MRX thread. The two negative posts are posted there too.

You can find these type of posts on the MRX thread, by the same people, too. Discount their experience, demonize them and harass them off the thread; if their experience doesn't "fit" properly.

It's a great unit, when it works. If the 3rd one works fine, life is dandy.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page