Yamaha vs Pioneer receivers. Help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have held off on buying any receiver at this point so I can do some more research. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Yamaha or a Pioneer receiver. I was recommended both of the links below. Some people have said the Pioneer is a pain to set up and not very "plug and play". But they said once it's set up (which may take hours) that the sound is very good. One even said you can't use it at all until you calibrate it with the mic. As for the Yamaha some have said the onscreen GUI set up is antiquated and not very intuitive and the remote is complicated (also said about Pioneer remote). Yet again once set up the Yamaha sounds great. I have a 5.1 speaker set right now and I play my blu-ray/DVDs through my PS3 so I can also play games. All in all what would be the better brand to go with?? Which has a more solid reputation?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/yamaha-yamaha-735-watt-7-1-channel-hdmi-home-theatre-receiver-rxv571-b-rxv571-b/10174276.aspx?path=1e2b40c0defa9d343d6ca35368c5be99en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-840-watt-7-1-channel-3d-hdmi-home-theatre-receiver-vsx-926-k-vsx-926-k/10172252.aspx?path=27b715a830edd1e48b5ee5f746776dd2en02

Side note: The complicated nature of many of the receivers is why I have also considered Sony receivers (despite the lack of approval here on AVS). My dad had a Sony surround receiver which lasted him 16 years. It stilled worked when he sold it and got a Pioneer receiver last year which he said works great. I've never had an issue with Sony products in the past hence why I still consider them (exception being my PS2 "fat" which died on me which was a known issue for many). I just want something that works well and doesn't give me hours of frustration and headache. I still feel a tug towards the Pioneer VSX-926-k (link above) but I don't want to pull the trigger on anything until I'm absolutely certain I'm going to enjoy what I'm going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 14
Good Morning,
"Complicated" can have quit a broad definition. More information would be useful, such as:

What are your speakers
What is your music / movie ratio
What other source components will be connected to the new receiver
Are your digital & analog connection demands met now, & do you have room to grow

There are others, but it is early & hopefully you see my point. Oh, if Sony receivers are not well thought of on AVS, then. . .

I hope you find the receiver that fits your needs.

Steve
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

Good Morning,
"Complicated" can have quit a broad definition. More information would be useful, such as:
What are your speakers
What is your music / movie ratio
What other source components will be connected to the new receiver
Are your digital & analog connection demands met now, & do you have room to grow
There are others, but it is early & hopefully you see my point. Oh, if Sony receivers are not well thought of on AVS, then. . .
I hope you find the receiver that fits your needs.

Well I'm just saying that I've never had an issue with Sony products in the past (save for one with my PS2) but it seems a lot of people on here bash Sony. At least when it comes to receivers. The specs of this Sony receiver seem like more then enough for me. And it's a very appealing price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-735-watt-7-1-channel-3d-home-theatre-receiver-strdh720-strdh720/10167723.aspx?path=281d6aadfcac6d8abbeee894b54716eaen02

At this point I only have a PS2 and PS3 connected to my new 42" LED HDTV and the audio from that TV is going into my Sony two speaker "mini system" via analog (L/R) inputs. Even this set up is fine for me. It actually has great sound and the "virtual surround" is surprisingly good.

This is the stereo: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2vcKRcMg2dv/p_158MHCM110/Sony-MHC-MG110.html

At this point I don't see myself connecting anything else except maybe my Macbook Pro when I want better sound from my music. But I'll probably have computer speakers for that. But I would prefer to have true surround sound. I have a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer and a Panasonic 5 speaker set I got off of Kijiji waiting in the wings for when I do get a surround receiver. My TV has two HDMI ports left to use. I'm using one for my PS3 and the component A/V for the PS2.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody have some say on this?

I'm still looking at this one as well. http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Yamaha-HTR-6180-7-2-channel-HD-Home-Theatre-Receiver-W0QQAdIdZ394045537

It seems to fill my need very well but I don't particularly like the I/O arrangement on the back. Still seems to be a great receiver though.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Also I was curious. If I'm going to get a new receiver would it be a good idea to sell my current 5.1 speaker set with my old (early 2000s) Sony Receiver and shell out for a decent set of speakers? The speakers I have are used but the sub is a current model Polk Audio sill sold at Future Shop.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page