Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Hello Everyone,

At the moment we are in a tight budget. Lately, I've been having some issue with sound, and I found out that my AVR isn't playing HD Sound anymore for some unknown reason. I noticed the HDMI board has some burned marks, which was probably cause by my son and daughter spilling some soda on the AVR and one of my front speaker.

The front speaker sounds okay at low to mid volume, but since the soda dried up it cause the speak to be almost solid, and at high volume it sounds distorted. So, I am in the position to either buy new front speakers or replace the AVR. I usually buy things with cash, but since times are tough, the wife gave the okay to use the credit card. I was thinking of using the Best Buy card since I get 0% APR for at least 1 year.

So, options are replace the AVR and buy speakers later? Or buy speakers now and keep the current AVR and use the AC3 / PCM tracks for the movies?

Here's the AVR, I'm looking at
Yamaha Aventage RX-A720BL
Pioneer VSX-60
Denon AVR2113CI

I'm trying to stay around $700 mark with the Best Buy card.

Or I can stay with my current AVR and buy some "inexpensive towers" like:

Pioner SP-FS51-LR $199.99, with a $70 promo code for a total of $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117403

or

Polk Audio Monitor60 II $149.99 each with a $50 promo code for a total of $215 shipped for two of them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

or

Really inexpensive way

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $99.99 with $50 promo code for a total of $53.61 shipped.

I noticed the Pioneer speakers are 6 ohms, but my current AVR shouldn't have an issue with them.

Any input would be appreciated. My last resort would be to keep what I have an get a better system later on....but who wants to do that right lol.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
When you say not playing HD sound ... does that mean both "bitstream" and PCM (ie. when BDP does the decoding)? I'd just replace the speakers as it's unlikely you would notice any difference listening to the HD audio tracks over HDMI vs. the higher bitrate audio tracks on BDs over optical.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, after careful readings of the manual and doing some research my AVR only supports DTS HD Master and Dolby HD audio by decoding it. So, that's my bad. rolleyes.gif I thought since my HT-R960 and both DTS HD and Dolby HD audio stamped on the front was supported but it isn't. So, its pretty much decoding the audio rather than sending RAW HD audio. So, the AVR is working correctly.

So, I suppose I'll replace the speakers instead. I'm thinking of going el cheapo and getting the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $99.99 with $50 promo code for a total of $53.61 shipped for now. Anyone have any experience with Pioneer speakers! Thanks.

Note: I'm not sure if this thread belongs here now since I've decided to replace the speakers now. If any of the moderators see this thread would you please move it if necessary. Thank you.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
585-645-1006

The RT960 (aka SR606) can both decode the bitstream HD audio from the BDP as well play the decoded PCM HD audio from the BDP, so not sure what you read in the manual.

"JD" –

post #5 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I'm thinking of going el cheapo and getting the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $99.99 with $50 promo code for a total of $53.61 shipped for now.

That is an absolutely terrible idea. Speakers reproduce the sound. Always, and I repeat always, get the best speakers you can afford and then some.

What is your best, rational speaker budget?
post #6 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

That is an absolutely terrible idea. Speakers reproduce the sound. Always, and I repeat always, get the best speakers you can afford and then some.
What is your best, rational speaker budget?

I was thinking of getting two of these:

I'm trying to spend the least amount. I don't really have a budge. My wife just wants me to spend a reasonable amount. I'm thinking may between $200 to $250 max. Or I can waited out for now until we finish paying off some other stuff, and be Christmas we should be able to afford better speakers.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you have frys near you, they have infinity 363 floorstading speakers for sale, at 100 each.

Manoj
post #8 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The RT960 (aka SR606) can both decode the bitstream HD audio from the BDP as well play the decoded PCM HD audio from the BDP, so not sure what you read in the manual.

Well, I've had to change my Dune D1 audio setting from bitstream to PCM because if I leave bitstreaming or original sound track I don't get any sound from DTS HD master audio tracks. I have to switch to the secondary audio track. However, if I change it to PCM within the Dune's D1 setting I get sound.

Before, my receiver would show DTS or DTS HD in the display screen. Now it doesn't show anything but HDMI Passthrough. So, I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the receiver. I took it apart several months ago to fix the HDMI board because one of the connectors was lose. I noticed the HDMI board had some soda (darn kids), and when I cleaned that off there were some burn marks on it as well. So, I am guessing the soda spilled messed up the HDMI board somehow, and now it does play the correct sound.

So, now I'm facing with the decision of either buying new front speakers or buying a receiver.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

If you have frys near you, they have infinity 363 floorstading speakers for sale, at 100 each.

We used to have a Fry's 45 min. away, but they closed it down. The nearest Fry's is in the bay area approximately 5 hours one way drive. It will cost me almost the same amount of $$ to pay for gas to get those speakers lol.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of getting two of these:
I'm trying to spend the least amount. I don't really have a budge. My wife just wants me to spend a reasonable amount. I'm thinking may between $200 to $250 max. Or I can waited out for now until we finish paying off some other stuff, and be Christmas we should be able to afford better speakers.

Check out the reviews. They dig em at Amazon.
post #11 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Well, I've had to change my Dune D1 audio setting from bitstream to PCM because if I leave bitstreaming or original sound track I don't get any sound from DTS HD master audio tracks. I have to switch to the secondary audio track. However, if I change it to PCM within the Dune's D1 setting I get sound.
Before, my receiver would show DTS or DTS HD in the display screen. Now it doesn't show anything but HDMI Passthrough. So, I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the receiver. I took it apart several months ago to fix the HDMI board because one of the connectors was lose. I noticed the HDMI board had some soda (darn kids), and when I cleaned that off there were some burn marks on it as well. So, I am guessing the soda spilled messed up the HDMI board somehow, and now it does play the correct sound.
So, now I'm facing with the decision of either buying new front speakers or buying a receiver.

This more likely indicates an issue with the Dune D1's inability to pass bitstream audio with the secondary audio set to OFF. Were it able to pass, the AVR would display the compressed audio format (eg. DTS or DD) rather than "Multichannel" when PCM input is received.

"JD" –

post #12 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This more likely indicates an issue with the Dune D1's inability to pass bitstream audio with the secondary audio set to OFF. Were it able to pass, the AVR would display the compressed audio format (eg. DTS or DD) rather than "Multichannel" when PCM input is received.

Well, I've tried changing the settings within the Dune's audio setting from PCM to Bitstream, and all I get is excellent picture quality and no sound, but if I switch it to a secondary track then it plays the sound. I reset my AVR to factory settings a little while ago, and I just finished calibrating the sound via audessy. I'll start messing around with more settings and see if anything happens.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Kids, soda and pc boards are not a good combination as the conductivity of soda is more than enough to squirrel up any pc board connections. Last time our son spilled some soda on his laptop, the fine folks at Asus only charged us six hundred dollars to correct the error. eek.gif

I took it like a man......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Sniff, sniff, sniff......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

rolleyes.gif
post #14 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I was able to fix the DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital HD issue. I get sound now whenever I play any movie with HD sound track. This is awesome. I guess doing a full factory reset fixed the issue. I even see the HD Master Audio in the Onkyo's display. This is great and now I don't have to spend $$$ on that. I definitely need new front speakers though. The left front sounds all distorted.

Thanks guys.

So, should I order the Polk Audio for $215.00 shipped for two towers

or

The Pioneers for $140 shipped for two towers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117403&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-Pioneer-_-82117403

Both of them have good reviews. Thanks for all your help guys!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #15 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM

"So, should I order..."

Sonically, you want all your speakers to match up as close as possible. What can you find that will match your center and rear surround speakers?
post #16 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"So, should I order..."
Sonically, you want all your speakers to match up as close as possible. What can you find that will match your center and rear surround speakers?

That's going to be an issue since my center channel has been discontinued. It's a Klipsch Synergy C1, which I bough long time ago due to my son putting holes in my original onkyo center channel. I bought the Onkyo HT-S9100THX, which is a 7.1 set up. So, it came with receiver and speakers. The only speaker I've replaced so far is the center channel with the Klipsh Synergy C1.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #17 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Maybe a used pair of Klipsch Synergy B-2's?

And these guys have some used Synergy F-2's. You'd have to make two separate purchases to get a pair.

The above is just an idea on how to get a pair of sonically matching floor standing speakers to correct for a situation like yours. I find that when I buy used, I have to see the purchase with both eyes wide shut for if I want new, I have to pay for new but if I want better on the cheap, I have to roll the dice.

I happen to be a big Klipsch fan. Our mains are eighteen year old Epic, CF-3's. biggrin.gif

-
post #18 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe a used pair of Klipsch Synergy B-2's?
And these guys have some used Synergy F-2's. You'd have to make two separate purchases to get a pair.
The above is just an idea on how to get a pair of sonically matching floor standing speakers to correct for a situation like yours. I find that when I buy used, I have to see the purchase with both eyes wide shut for if I want new, I have to pay for new but if I want better on the cheap, I have to roll the dice.
I happen to be a big Klipsch fan. Our mains are eighteen year old Epic, CF-3's. biggrin.gif
-

I like klipsch as well. That's the reason why I bough the center channel, plus it was on sale 4 years ago lol, and it still sound amazing, but I just haven't been able to convince my wife to spend $$$ on better speaker for the surround sound since the speakers that came with the HTIB were good enough. I've been looking at used klipsh on ebay. I've found many of them, but they want a lot of $$ for shipping, which makes it not worth buying.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #19 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM

On Amazon, used Synergy B-2's can be had on the cheap and shipping doesn't seem to be too expensive. The downside with bookshelf speakers, you need a pair of stands at additional cost. eek.gif
post #20 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On Amazon, used Synergy B-2's can be had on the cheap and shipping doesn't seem to be too expensive. The downside with bookshelf speakers, you need a pair of stands at additional cost. eek.gif

I've got the stands already for my current set up so no additional cost there.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #21 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

"I've got the stands already for my current set up so no additional cost there."

With floor stands in hand, it sounds like a used pair of the Synergy B2's are a match for your center speaker.

biggrin.gif
post #22 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"I've got the stands already for my current set up so no additional cost there."
With floor stands in hand, it sounds like a used pair of the Synergy B2's are a match for your center speaker.
biggrin.gif

It sounds like a plan, but the wife didn't like the idea of buying used speakers for the same price of the Polk Audio towers rolleyes.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #23 of 42 Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
In the couple hundred range you really get what you pay for. I'd say used is often a much better deal. I'd match that center as best as possible.
post #24 of 42 Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

In the couple hundred range you really get what you pay for. I'd say used is often a much better deal. I'd match that center as best as possible.

I'll look around a little longer if I find a good deal on some B-2's I'll buy them. If not I'll remain patient. Thank for all the help guys.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #25 of 42 Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:

It sounds like a plan, but the wife didn't like the idea of buying used speakers for the same price of the Polk Audio towers rolleyes.gif

As a suggestion, speak to her about woman's shoes and talk to her about the price of woman's shoes; one manufacture's quality vs another. Tell her the cheaper pair will get her where she wants to go just a well as the more expensive pair and tell her there's no difference between the pairs of shoes nor the quality of manufacture. Tell her cute is not a valid choice factor and so what if the color or shade of color is off by a couple shades; pink vs red vs pastel vs bold, flats vs pumps vs sandals vs closed toe vs open toe vs straps vs slip-on. Talk to your wife in her consumer language. Neither shoes nor speakers are manufactured the same and I bet if you speak to her in her consumer language, she'll understand smile.gif

Fortunately, my wife understands this point. Unfortunately, the closet is overburdened with shoes and boxes of shoes I swear, never see the light of day nor the streets at night but if one looks sideways at her shoe collection, they do so at the their own peril. tongue.gif

The point, sometimes ya got's ta sell the acquisition as in: "Honey, I want this."

biggrin.gif

-
post #26 of 42 Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a suggestion, speak to her about woman's shoes and talk to her about the price of woman's shoes; one manufacture's quality vs another. Tell her the cheaper pair will get her where she wants to go just a well as the more expensive pair and tell her there's no difference between the pairs of shoes nor the quality of manufacture. Tell her cute is not a valid choice factor and so what if the color or shade of color is off by a couple shades; pink vs red vs pastel vs bold, flats vs pumps vs sandals vs closed toe vs open toe vs straps vs slip-on. Talk to your wife in her consumer language. Neither shoes nor speakers are manufactured the same and I bet if you speak to her in her consumer language, she'll understand smile.gif
Fortunately, my wife understands this point. Unfortunately, the closet is overburdened with shoes and boxes of shoes I swear, never see the light of day nor the streets at night but if one looks sideways at her shoe collection, they do so at the their own peril. tongue.gif
The point, sometimes ya got's ta sell the acquisition as in: "Honey, I want this."
biggrin.gif
-

Fortunately my wife doesn't buy expensive anything. She likes shopping, but she doesn't over do it at all. She buys shoes once in a great while as well as clothes. So, I can't really complaint about that. She buys more clothes and shoes for out kids. Hell I don't remember when I bought a new pair of jeans lol. I've talked to her about it, and I think we will wait and see if we can find a good deal on some used speakers. If not we will wait till we can afford something better.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #27 of 42 Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Used is good. I'm sure our eighteen year old Klipsch speakers qualify as used as does pretty much everything else in our home. biggrin.gif

Good luck and hope you soon find a matching pair of speakers for the center channel of your home theater.

Just for giggles, I stopped by the local craigslist dot org and found a pair of Klipsch, Synergy, F2's.

I'm sure they're located out of your territory. If you haven't thought of Craig's list by now, just trying to give you some search ideas.

Good luck and hope you soon find a matching pair of speakers for the center channel of your home theater system.

-
post #28 of 42 Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Used is good. I'm sure our eighteen year old Klipsch speakers qualify as used as does pretty much everything else in our home. biggrin.gif
Good luck and hope you soon find a matching pair of speakers for the center channel of your home theater.
Just for giggles, I stopped by the local craigslist dot org and found a pair of Klipsch, Synergy, F2's.
I'm sure they're located out of your territory. If you haven't thought of Craig's list by now, just trying to give you some search ideas.
Good luck and hope you soon find a matching pair of speakers for the center channel of your home theater system.
-

Ahead of you already. I've found two Polk Audio Monitor 70 towers in town. He wants $300 for the set / OBO. I haven't found any klipsch though.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #29 of 42 Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers. Have an Onkyo 609 AVR and some Onkyo factory speakers from the HT-S5400 package. They sound really good, but I know they're the weak link in the chain, now.
I like the Polk Monitor 60 tower speakers. Looking at the BIC F12 sub, too...biggrin.gif

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #30 of 42 Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:

It does not matter where the audio decoding is taking place*, the sound will be the same (unless you set something up to change it on the AVR, such as using the DSP modes like Concert Hall, etc).

*There is sitll debate as to whether Windows plays with the sound if you send PCM from a HTPC vs Bitstream from a HTPC, but that is not your situation.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page