what happens when Onkyo 616 overheat? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys,

i noticed strange thing with my AVR recently, it is still new 1 month old. the main output didnt work now and few days the sub output also didnt work after some drop in frame rates.

i also found out that i forget my STB "setup box" above the AVR which blocked half of the space and also introduce extra heat. i just want to know if the system have overheating protection?

did anyone have similar issue? now i shut it down for cooling and i removed the STB to make it easy to breath. i hope it didnt damage the video processing chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 03:04 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
You definitely don't want to place anything on top of the AVR to allow room for the heat to escape. Also, you may want to post in the 616 Problem's thread ---> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 204
There's no overheating protection. The only protection is for current surges since that can be done with a fuse or a simple circuit breaker.

Onkyos are notorious for overheating.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

There's no overheating protection. The only protection is for current surges since that can be done with a fuse or a simple circuit breaker.
Onkyos are notorious for overheating.

Incorrect..
Any major brand AVR has multiple protection schemes in order to be certified by UL/CSA/SEMKO, these are required. Without these a brand would face an economical catastrophe by a class action liability suit...

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Incorrect..
Any major brand AVR has multiple protection schemes in order to be certified by UL/CSA/SEMKO, these are required. Without these a brand would face an economical catastrophe by a class action liability suit...
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

Really?
So how does the overheating protection work?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Really?
So how does the overheating protection work?

The primary points are covered in UL Standard #60065, this covers the electrical components, switches, relays, transformers, plastics and wire/insulation types. A typical AVR will use various protection schemes these include voltage limiters, current limiters, low impedance sensors as well as temperature sensors located on the heat sinks and power transformer. In the UL standards a max temperature (85 degrees C) is listed and if exceeded one of the temperature sensors kicks in which may reduce or terminate the voltage drive to the output stage. Also a similar scheme is used to protect the power transformer/AVR and/or respective component from destroying itself and becoming a warranty liability. In the earlier days fuses were frequently used but now available are smart processors that includes temperature intelligence @ an affordable cost. The weakness of the fuse is that it is too slow to react to a trouble fault, and if blown an expensive trip to the service center is required..

A key point for any consumer electronic component is reliability be it an AVR, Blu-Ray Player, Sat Tuner, HD Display, PC... Is to keep its average operating temperatures within a controlled range. Thats why every AVR brand specifies in their Quick Start Guides & Operation Manuals to have at least 4" of free-air clearance for the L/R and top covers. Unfortunately today often the user ignores this point and has reliability issues due to overheating. Also it is common for the user to buy an entry-level product and overdrive its amplifiers and/or connect low impedance/sensitivity loudspeakers which can spell trouble...

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page