Receiver (First) Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently started dabbling in the HT/Surround Set Up world. About a month ago, I purchased a Bose bundle from Costco that included the Bose Acoustimass 6, a Yamaha HTR-3064, and and Yamaha iPod sock for $799.99. After reading different threads, I decided that I will be returning this bundle back to Costco in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I have purchased a pair of RC-10s and a RC-LCR. I have been running my RC-10s with Yamaha HTR-3064 and am waiting on the RC-LCR to arrive tomorrow. The next step is to purchase a receiver ASAP so I can return the Bose Bundle. I have been researching the Denon rceivers, but can't make up my mind on which one to get. I have thought of purchasing the 1612 ($200) to start, but then think about purchasing the 2112CI becuase of recommedations in other peaople's threads. It seems most of the XX12 models are almost all gone. Thus, should I settle for the 1612 in the mean time and purchase a XX13 model when prices drop?

1. As soon as I buy my sub in the next week or two, I will be running 3.1 until I purchase a set of RC towers for my fronts and use the RC-10s as surrounds in the next month or two. My utlimate goal is to have a 5.1 set up in my living room (Zone 1) and 2 additional speakers in the patio (Zone 2).

2. Networking would be a plus, but not completely necessary to start. If someone disagrees, feel free to tell me why.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Really depends on your budget. If possible pick up a 1912 or 2112CI on clearance and you'd get the Zone 2 option built in now, to be used when you need it.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Budget is not an issue. I just want to get what I actually will need. Nothing more / nothing less.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I can get the 2112Ci from EE for $435 shipped. I have tried calling JR (out) and EE (won't budge from $435).
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 AM
585-645-1006

Although that's what they've been selling it at for the past year, that's still a great price.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonski View Post

Budget is not an issue. I just want to get what I actually will need. Nothing more / nothing less.

Then you need to go above an AVR1612.

One can't really know what one wants unless one tells the other what they want so in the simple, I'm going guess and my guess is you want-need either a Denon 2313CI or a Marantz SR5007.

Why either of these two choices? They're the latest and greatest future proof units, with all the expected whistles and bells that squarely hit the middle ground of possible choices that can be had, delivered, for $750 and under. From these units you're starting to move into the esoteric.

(Yesterday was spent drilling fourteen inch and a half vent and access holes into the entertainment center and working with my wife to clean up the accompanying dusty mess.)

Hope the above helps.

-
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
585-645-1006

I would suggest staying with the 2112CI as there's no reason to pay more for either the 2313CI or the 5007.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Well that would be no fun. smile.gif

Remember, at our age, it's a toy as much as a functional piece of equipment. It's ego over rational thought. Half the fun are the whistles and bells that don't get used. biggrin.gif

(Nobody NEEDS a sports car but at some time and point in their lives, everybody NEEDS a station wagon.)

FWIW, in my comments, I'm responding to this part of the poster's comment: "Budget is not an issue." If that's the case, why not step-up a grade or two?

-
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 12
In the end you're going to decide what receiver meeets your needs. The question you have to ask yourself is "are your needs really covered". You mentioned networking. If I can afford it, I'd rather have it. My unit doesn't. From what I've read, it would be much easier to upgrade my recever, if it's connected to the net. What about AirPlay? Any interest there? I connect an Apple TV to my AVR1611, so, I don't really need it. But, Airplay would let you play music, from an Apple device, directly to the unit. You've probably already read and reread the post in the XX13 thread about the differences between the models. There's got to be one in there that does what you want and a little more. Then, it's just a matter of picking up the phone and calling around for the best price.

Enjoy! I'm envious.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petaylor View Post

In the end you're going to decide what receiver meeets your needs. The question you have to ask yourself is "are your needs really covered". You mentioned networking. If I can afford it, I'd rather have it. My unit doesn't. From what I've read, it would be much easier to upgrade my recever, if it's connected to the net. What about AirPlay? Any interest there? I connect an Apple TV to my AVR1611, so, I don't really need it. But, Airplay would let you play music, from an Apple device, directly to the unit. You've probably already read and reread the post in the XX13 thread about the differences between the models. There's got to be one in there that does what you want and a little more. Then, it's just a matter of picking up the phone and calling around for the best price.
Enjoy! I'm envious.
Airplay would nice, but not a neccessity.

Airplay would be nice, but not a neccessity. I have read the comparisons, but since I have no idea what half the bells/whistles actually are, it is kind of pointless. In a nutshell, I would just like to be able listen to music out in the patio whille the family is watching TV or playing PS 3 in the living room.It would be nice to able to control what I am listening to from the patio as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Would the 2113CI at $550 an better option? Or is there not enough of difference from the 2112CI to justify the $115 difference?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM

From the Denon website, 2112CI vs 2113CI.

Bring up separate pages in separate side-by-side windows and compare the feature differences to see what works for you.

-
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

From the Denon website, 2112CI vs 2113CI.
Bring them up as separate pages and compare the feature differences such as the 2313CI has two HDMI outs and two sub woofer pre-outs vs one of each with the 2312CI.

If I am not mistaken, the only upgrade would the video scaling? Am I right?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Sorry, I got the links mixed up and had to edit them different from what you quoted forward as I was mixing quality levels in the 2112CI and the 2313CI. D'oh!

In the end, I'm a separate amplifier kind-a-guy. I'm about a lvrm, home theater system and a backyard patio system; equal but separate. I believe in a television in every garage and headphones as you water the yard in the evening. I know that doesn't pair with what you asked about but it something people should think about.

-
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Sorry, I got the links mixed up and had to edit them different from what you quoted forward as I was mixing quality levels in the 2112CI and the 2313CI. D'oh!
In the end, I'm a separate amplifier kind-a-guy. I'm about a lvrm, home theater system and a backyard patio system; equal but separate. I believe in a television in every garage and headphones as you water the yard in the evening. I know that doesn't pair with what you asked about but it something people should think about.
-

Understandable. That is how I am with my TVs and PS 3s. I am sure one day I will want separate systems for each space. Thanks fore your unput.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonski View Post

Airplay would nice, but not a neccessity.
Airplay would be nice, but not a neccessity. I have read the comparisons, but since I have no idea what half the bells/whistles actually are, it is kind of pointless. In a nutshell, I would just like to be able listen to music out in the patio whille the family is watching TV or playing PS 3 in the living room.It would be nice to able to control what I am listening to from the patio as well.

I should have posted the link in my previous reply. Here's where you should be able to find the comparisons your looking for. After you looked there, you'll probably have specific questions about what a particular feature does and do you need it. This is strickly about Denon's. I imagine that the threads for the other brands and models have similar posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq