Time to replace the Onkyo 606 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo 606 but of course it doesn't do 3D so now I am in the market for a new reciever. I'm looking to spend 300 to 400 dollars for a new reciever. I was initially going to just go for the new Onkyo but I've read a couple threads that people are liking the Dennon in that price range better. What are your guys thoughts? Maybe there is another brand I should be looking at too?

This will be used with a PS3 and a Panasonic 55ST50 TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I'd rather have a Denon than a 6xx series Onkyo because the Denon has better room calibration software.

For around $400 you might be able to find a Denon AVR-2112 which uses Audyssey MultEQ XT where a Onkyo NR609 will only have Audyssey 2EQ which does not EQ the subwoofer and has less resolution filters.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenToizumi View Post

What are your guys thoughts?

Based on what limited information you've posted, the Denon AVR1713 is the ticket. biggrin.gif

vanns.com, delivered, $400.00: yum!

(Call around to other vendors to see if you can get a better price.)

smile.gif

-
post #4 of 6 Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I see the 2113CI has 4K. How important do you guys think this will be in the near future? Should I spend a couple hundred more for this option to future proof a little? Or by the time I get a TV and Source down the road will the Denons 4K not be "fully" compatible with the stuff coming out in the next few years.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Not very .... try to pick up one of last year's XX12 models on clearance (2112CI as afrogt suggests) and save yourself some coin.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

I see the 2113CI has 4K. How important do you guys think this will be in the near future?

Everything I've read says it's the next gee wiz standard coming down the pike.......way down the pike. Uncertainty is a terrible thing to suffer from. For peace of mind, I say get it but in truth, by the time it "starts" getting implemented at the consumer level, we're all going be upgrading our systems because of other technological changes that have simultaneously occurred. My guess, 4k is about four years down the consumer road.

Quote:

Should I spend a couple hundred more for this option to future proof a little? Or by the time I get a TV and Source down the road will the Denons 4K not be "fully" compatible with the stuff coming out in the next few years.

Time will tell as too much is going happen between now and three four years from now to be able to accurately prognosticate. If the bread is there to cover the upgrade and doing so makes you feel good about your purchase, I say do it. If two hundred bucks is going mess with your near future budget, as was suggested by others, go with accessories4less as they currently are advertising their last 2112CI for $379.99

I'm a big into happy kind of guy and encourage what the budget will allow and still keep one happy; no buyer's remorse and if that means buying features you'll never use, I encourage this type of excess. I'm not a person's conscience. The point, these types of purchase are as much about logic and budget as they are emotion and all three have to be considered for one to be made happy if one is going fully appreciate the purchase. So I pose the question to you, which unit makes you happy and how much can you budget for this type of purchase to make it happen?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page