Onkyo 605 died. The options are overwhelming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Onk 605 appears to have given up. A few months back I posted that there was no HDMI output to my new Epson 8350 until the receiver was on for about 10 minutes. So, I'd just leave the AVR running 24/7 and had no problems. But, went into the theater tonight to watch a movie with the kids and I get nothing on any input. Plugged the Bluray directly into the PJ and all is good. So, HDMI out gave up. So, looks like I'm in the hunt for a new AVR.

Now, for some reason up here in Canada we're still getting raped on electronics and vehicles even though the dollar has been floating around par for two years or more, so I'm looking in the price range of a Dennon AVR-2112CI, which goes for about $750 CDN on Bestbuy.ca. I'd like to spend less, obviously, but in typical fashion, want big boom for my buck. Here's the current setup:
  • 5.1 configuration using Ascend Accoustics CMT-340 front stage and matching surrounds
  • Epson 8350 projector
  • THT sub powered by Behringer EP-2500 (and Behringer feedback destroyer for sub EQ duties)
  • Blu-ray player, XBMC media center using HDMI
  • Local cable provider (composite)
  • Everything goes into the AVR (HDMI, Composite, etc) and comes out HDMI... no input switching at the PJ
  • Audessey EQ

I'd like to stick with a 7.1 or maybe 7.2 AVR. I don't want to lose any features offered in the 605, but I don't think that's much of a concern since it's 5 years old. I'm considering:

Onkyo HTRC360
Harmon/Kardon AVR2650
Dennon AVR-2112CI

Those 3 are based solely on a cursory glance at Visions and Bestbuy sites. I've had good luck with Pioneer in the past as well, and considering my Onkyo is done in a mere 5 years, it may be a bit lower on the list now.

!!! HELP !!! biggrin.gif

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Really? Nobody has an opinion? Guess I'm off to read the "Official" threads... all 278 pages of them frown.gif

post #3 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
what kind of receiver are you looking to get? I replaced my onkyo 605 with the onkyo rc270. its a great upgrade.

Jacob
post #4 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

...so I'm looking in the price range of a Dennon AVR-2112CI, which goes for about $750 CDN on Bestbuy.ca. I'd like to spend less, obviously, but in typical fashion, want big boom for my buck.

---snip---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

I'd like to stick with a 7.1 or maybe 7.2 AVR.

Give the Marantz SR5007 consideration as it's 7.2 and has all the current list of whistles and bells. I recently picked one up from Vann's in Montana, delivered, for $750.00 USD.

I don't know about Canada and any value added taxes or import duties but Vann's is close to Canada and you might be able to work a price break to meet your stated budget. That or if close, make a weekend road trip drive to Montana.

-
post #5 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks BeeMan. I'll add it to the list. It is a weekend trip to hit Montana, so it's a possibility. I actually found a video of a guy replacing some capacitors on the HDMI board on a 606. Of course, the 605 is waaaaaaay different, but I may give it a shot anyway. Nothing to lose since it's busted anyway. maybe spend $40 instead of $700.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
In regards to the Denon lineup, the 2112CI would be the best bang for the buck. Also note that you can add a 2nd sub pre-out by adding a $3 RCA "Y" splitter cable so no reason to specifically look for a 7.2 AVR. Also note that the lower level Onkyo AVRs to include the 605 and 360 only use Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the subwoofer, while the 2112CI uses the even more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT (same as the Onkyo 370/709).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Liked: 10
Just upgraded from a 605 that I had for 4 years to a 818 and it's a major upgrade in sound - give it a look, I'm very happy.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Also note that you can add a 2nd sub pre-out by adding a $3 RCA "Y" splitter cable so no reason to specifically look for a 7.2 AVR.

I run a pair of Klipsch SW12 II subs to smooth out the bass. Expensive yes but doing so eliminates the boomy nature of too much concentrated bass in one location and gives the synergistic equivalent of a 15" sub; 3dB SPL boost. As if a 15" sub is necessary. The last Marantz receiver which was recently replaced, I used the Y-splitter you suggest and still have it readily at hand. I remember you commenting earlier that if the receiver has .2 then it's "Y" split internally.

Two thoughts, the first, isn't the internal split compensated for with a higher voltage so equal voltage goes to each sub pre-out and there isn't a line drop when splitting the signal? And my second thought is, doesn't each additional axillary connection lower signal strength by 3dB like splitting a cable signal with a splitter box which drops the cable signal strength, potentially ushering in the need for a signal booster?

The cable run under the house to the furthest from the receiver sub is approximately 20'. One sub is to the right of the right speaker and the other sub is across the room behind a love seat. Both subs are hooked up with equal length, 25' cables although at different distances from the receiver.

-
post #9 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
^^
No and no.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Liked: 11
Onkyo 1009???
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well... my attempt to replace the capacitors on the HDMI board met catastrophic failure. So, back in the hunt for a new AVR. This sucks. $7 worth of parts may have fixed it if I had the first clue what I was doing, but I totally mangled the board trying to remove the old capacitors. What a fluster-cluck. frown.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page