Will a power amplifier suffice, or do I need an Integrated Amp or Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have an old NAD 2100 that my father had at one point. We've moved to a new home, and want to set up a pair or two of outdoor speakers. We'll probably go with a pair of outdoor speakers hung under the eave outside. The receiver/amplifier will be placed in the outdoor cabana and will have an iPod connected to it for the main source of music.

My question is, the NAD 2100 has no volume control. Does this mean, the iPod will be attached and the volume will be controlled via the iPod? Or do I need to purchase a processor of some sort to hook the iPod to? I like the figures behind the NAD 2100 because it puts out well over 150 watts which a pair of high powered speakers outside would handle.

The other choice of course is going with a cheaper 2 channel amplifier, or even a receiver. Of course, the con to this is, I'd have to purchase one, and I feel the power ratings might be on the lower scale. The pro is, probably more outputs for an extra pair of speakers or subwoofer, and dedicated inputs for the iPod.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well,
Most outdoor speakers (unless you go for high-end) aren't going to like 150 watts.

Is there any gain control on the NAD? If so, you could try it and control levels with the iPod, but that really isn't what they were built for. I would probably get a pre-amp and use the NAD. Something like a Pyle PYP1 can be had for under $100, and you can always buy used.