Digital Input Assign - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello people. I'm fairly new to this stuff and can't really grasp the idea of Digital Input Assignment. Can anyone please help by explaining the concept ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
It generally means that regardless of what input source name is listed next to the HDMI/optical/coax digital jack on the back of the AVR, that you can "assign" that jack to another source name (eg. HDMI1 labels says "BD", but just because you plug the HDMI cable into HDMI1 doesn't mean you have to use the "BD" source name, rather you can "assign" it to SAT/CBL if you want to).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^^ Pretty much, but I've only had Denon's and never seen it on HDMI cables. I've usually seen it more to tie a digital coax/optical input to a legacy analog input. For example, I have my Cable box and Wii connecting to the legacy component inputs and, since both use a digital audio input, I have to use the digital input assign to tell the Denon that the two jacks I selected are tied to those two component inputs.

If all you're using is HDMI, I don't think you'll even need this feature.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
RONSCHR wrote:
Quote:
"I'm fairly new to this stuff and can't really grasp the idea of Digital Input Assignment. Can anyone please help by explaining the concept ?"

In math, "A" can be anything you want it to be. And if your parameters change, you can rename "A" to be anything you want it to be or "input assignment."

Same thing with renaming receiver inputs. You have input 1 through 6 and they are given names of convenience or naming standards if you will. Input "1", although labeled CBL/SAT, one can run a CD or Blu-ray player into input "1" as input "1" is really nothing more than an input with a convenient name attached.

As to "Digital Input Assignment", one is assigning what the type of digital input is going be, HDMI, Optical or Coax and which plug to use such as Opt 1 or Opt 2. If this is not done, the receiver won't know where to look for the signal you're wanting used via internal switching.

Hope the above ramblings help clarify the question for you.

-
post #5 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
The primary question is what source components will be plugged into the AVR?
Considering that many AVR buyers especially entry-level ones know little...
Certain AVR brands (Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer) tried to simplify system hookup by labeling the A/V inputs for specific sources such as SAT or Cable boxes, while other brands like Harman/Kardon applied a simpler approach by calling their inputs AV1, AV2.. And the In/Outs would ve configurable through the OSD, additionally a few years back many legacy A/V products would be connected and there were multiple choices for Video such as Composite, S, Component...

However now the majority of source components are HD and connected by HDMI so things are somewhat simplified and less clutter with fewer cables. Yet there are still some popular source components that may have HD video but SD audio such as game console, and now it is common place for the AVR to provide source input titling capability so that the user can label HDMI 1 as X-Box or PS3..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page