What to do with old 7.1 receiver?? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > What to do with old 7.1 receiver??

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

patnshan's Avatar patnshan
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 5
07-17-2012 | Posts: 1,026
Hello,
After having recently replaced the Marantz SR-8400 receiver in my living room, I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I hate to just store it or get rid of it because it is awesome sounding, it just didn't have the HDMI and features I want now.
I have a thought of using it as an amp only in my HT if that would work. The SR-8400 has pre-ins and the receiver in the theater has pre-outs. Would it work to connect the Yamaha RX-V661 pre-outs to the Marantz pre-ins? My thought is that the amps in the marantz are better than the amps in the Yamaha. I could at least use it as a zone 2 amp (I am using a cheapie for that right now) if that would work.
So, tell me if this is something that might work or if I am barking up the wrong tree. I'd also love to hear how I would set this up and how I might control it. I do use a harmony so could probably program it all to turn on correctly. I am not even sure what setting the Marantz would need to be on to get this to work.
Thanks,
Pat
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458
03:14 PM Liked: 801
post #2 of 5
07-17-2012 | Posts: 8,374
patnshan wrote: "....I am trying to figure out what to do with it."

I gave my unit to a hospice to be sold for what ever they can get for it.

My thinking, once it's bought and put into personal service, the item is fully amortized.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
04:28 PM Liked: 1747
post #3 of 5
07-17-2012 | Posts: 46,464
You would likely be better served using it as a Zone 2 amp rather than main zone amp or perhaps a dedicated AVR in the bedroom or office. Simply connect the Zone 2 pre-outs on the Yamaha to any set of analog inputs on the 8400 and you're good to go. You could also connect an Apple TV or Airport Express or Squeezebox to it and play it's own dedicated audio in addition to a source from the main zone.
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat
05:08 PM Liked: 19
post #4 of 5
07-17-2012 | Posts: 1,359
Keep it. You never know when you might need it as a backup if the hdmi messes up on the new receiver. I hear about hdmi issues a lot lately on receivers. You could use it for two channel listening in another room.
patnshan's Avatar patnshan
05:40 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 5
07-19-2012 | Posts: 1,026
I have a hum in my 2 channel cheapie amp in my HT zone 2 amp. I'm going to try this instead as the zone 2 amp and maybe use an iPod dock/cable to give it the option of using a different source as well as the same as the need arises.
Thanks,
Pat
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread