Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I am a complete n00b in the audio / video area - trying to shop for my first HT

Considering feedback, features, looks and reputation I zeroed in the two Marantz receivers SR6006 & SR5007 - at this point of time (Jul-2012) both are available on amazon within a +/- $50 range. My budget maxes out at $800

One key plus in SR5007 is the 4K support (pass thro' and upscaling), which although I understand is not-exactly-required-right-now, but considering I am planning to upgrade my HDTV in about a years time - and planning to buy a passive 3D TV ... then I can make use of the 4K feature of SR5007

On the other hand SR6006 has got more connection options (which might be redundant for me - I need probably 4 HDMI inputs at the max - 1 HTPC, 1 BR/DVD, 1 cable and 1 spare; on component side I will need 1 for a Wii for my kid).VIn terms of supported audio formats, SR6006 has ProLogic IIz & II - which are missing on SR5007, but I am not sure if these matter.

Side-by-side comparison for these two receivers are available here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductComparison.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=SR5007|SR6006

Can anyone suggest which should be a better buy?

Also ... one more question - noticed that neither of these receivers support THX format. How imp that is? And if that is imp which can be a better receiver supporting all the audio formats, sounds nice, has a good auto calibration system and within the $800 range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
"Can anyone suggest which should be a better buy?"

A coin toss.

The question, does one buy the fuller featured unit comprising of last year's technology or do they go with a step-down in features by going with the latest and greatest gee-wiz tech-no advancements? The best answer will come from you as that's an ego question one must answer for themselves. I purchased the SR5007. Why? Mostly price as my ego wanted (needed) the SR6007 but my wallet could only rationalize the SR5007 when compared to either the Denon AVR2313CI or the AVR1713.

I wanted the latest and greatest in gee-wiz technology (future proofing) and did so at the expense of features I likely wasn't going to use when compared to suggested alternatives.

"Also ... one more question - noticed that neither of these receivers support THX format. How imp that is?"

Go to the THX website as THX is a certified, achievable standard. IIRC, my understanding of THX is, it's a reference standard of driving the room to a reference standard of 85dB with a +20dB headroom and the ability for the system to match and hold this standard. And, of course, a willingness to pay a licensing fee to attach the THX logo to your system appliance and accompaniments.

Once again, when one discusses a question such as yours surrounding THX, the importance is to your ego as in my opinion most half-way decent home systems can meet the THX standard. Depending on room size, speakers used and the inclusion of a 12" powered sub-woofer, I'd say either the SR6006 or the SR5007 can meet the licensing standards of THX for home theater reproduction.

Now it's your turn to flip a coin and call it.

Hope the above helps.

smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hd Radio?

22 vs. 26 pounds?

B.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter