Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1064 Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I've shown the backs of Denon vs Marantz and the images show the Marantz unit to be full featured as opposed to the more expensive Denon unit. Yes, that does indicate differences in design.

 

In this day and age (unique) firmware differences could separate them more so than hardware. And just because the firmware is the exact same file (which could or could not be the case) it doesn't mean individual models aren't addressed uniquely.

Charles R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1064 Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

You may be new to this forum, but the discussion at hand is not. Go do your own research if you feel the need to prove the obvious to yourself - a quick search of this forum should suffice. Nearly Identical internal design, identical feature sets, made on the same factory lines. Connect the same internals to "extra" connectors on the back of the unit and the Denon becomes a Marantz.
The link you posted in an attempt to support your position certainly didn't help, though interestingly, you chose to ignore that when responding.

I understand, you can't back up your claims. It's okay and yes, in the context of my post, the link clearly supported my position as conveniently, you intentionally took my comments out of context; it's called spin.

My recent appearance to the forum doesn't change the facts regarding Marantz and Denon having totally separate design teams (your comment is unsubstantiated and I took the time to give Marantz a call to find out) and comparably priced Marantz/Denon units, when backs are compared, the Marantz units have more desirable features which proves a difference in internal design. Yes, that's a good reason to go with Marantz over Denon and in general, it's accepted that Marantz units have comparatively more attractive veneer styling. So, for the price, yes, the Marantz unit is the better deal of the two names and yes there are many differences between comparable units.

As far as the rumor regarding Marantz having better parts internally, I have yet to be able to sufficiently vet that rumor as it seems, short of personally opening up a unit, I'm hosed. In my case, I'm not an EE so I don't have a clue what I'm looking at if I did break my unit open.

-

What sounds like a sensible business development model that a holding company would put in place for two brands which have both been in the red?

Fund Independant design teams for both Denon and Marantz who developed two completely separate lines of AVR's that just happen to be feature for feature clones of each other by incredible coincidence?

Or

A holding company designs a single line of AVR's which are changed cosmetically and are feature for feature clones of each other?

What do you think that holding company bleeding cash did?

What "more desirable features" have you identified in the Marantz that would validate a difference in the platform? It's far less expensive to develop a single platform and differentiate them by simply not wiring them to inputs than it is to have distinct processor design.

But since logic won't be enough and you clearly didn't search AVS, here's a post with pictures of both the SR7005 and the 3311 showing the guts.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1325243/denon-2011-lineup/270#post_20308377

Amazingly, the independent design teams from Denon and Marantz also positioned the boards and components in the exact same locations. Used the exact same ribbon cables run identically and used the same heat sinks too amongst the many obvious identical design elements....






bfreedma is offline  
post #33 of 1064 Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,993
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I've shown the backs of Denon vs Marantz and the images show the Marantz unit to be full featured as opposed to the more expensive Denon unit.

Just to clarify ... although the Marantz models have the pre-outs and EXT IN jacks (likely only required by a very small minority), you pay an additional price for these extra features as the comparable Denon model costs at least a couple of hundred $$$ less than the matching Marantz model.

Denon 2113CI ($649) <==> Marantz 5007 ($849)
Denon 2313CI ($849) <==> Marantz 6007 ($1199)
Denon 3313CI ($1199) <==> Marantz 7007 ($1799)

Also, quoting from the Audioholics article you linked to ....
Quote:
The Marantz SR7007 is the one in the line that most resembles the Denon counterpart - the AVR-3313CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #34 of 1064 Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Member
 
vkowalski1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok, I have to chime in as today I bought both a SR6007 and 2313CI, I did it for a test and I am also auditioning a Anthem MRX 500, which comes Saturday. I hooked up both throughout the day with the same material being used. I have 30 days to return either or both units and the Anthem will be a demo unit this weekend. I am replacing an Outlaw 7700 amp with Onkyo 709 used as a pre/pro. I have less room than before, this is why amp is being removed. I didnt care for the Onkyo as a pre/pro or by itself. I bought it 6 months ago when my Outlaw 990 pre/pro died.
To be clear, I have never owned anything Marantz and havent owned anything Denon in 7-8 yrs. Unfortunately I couldnt A/B them, but I did do a lot of hooking/unhooking of the units today!

System:
Focal 836V fronts
Focal 800CC
Focal 807V rear
Oppo 93
Direct TV

The Dark Knight..Blu Ray
Dave Matthews Live at Radio City Blu Ray

I can say after 12 hours of playing with both units and no matter how the design teams work, I definitely prefer the Marantz sound. They just sound different to me. The Marantz is cleaner and has more separation than the Denon unit. Its very obvious on the Dave Matthews Blu Ray. On the Denon it seemed like everything was coming from the same place, on the Marantz you definitely saw the spacing between Dave Matthews and his guitarist , you also almost hear the "air" around him. FYI, I ran Audyseey on both systems and used the exact same microphone placements for both. My Focals are very clean and the Onkyo was way too bright, the Marantz and Denon are more laid back and "warmer" sounding, but the detail just is better on the Marantz. While watching The Dark Knight, The Marantz seemed to place more emphasis on the surrounds and a bit stronger on the bass. Some much even my 8 yr old noticed as he sat all night and watched the same scenes over and over..lol

I have already decided that the Denon is going back tomorrow, I cant wait til this weekend to compare the 6007 to the Anthem MRX 500....ofcourse the 500 is about $300 more than the Marantz.
vkowalski1970 is offline  
post #35 of 1064 Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

What sounds like a sensible business development model that a holding company would put in place for two brands which have both been in the red?

It doesn't matter about sensible. We don't have to make sense out of why a company does what they do. I took the time to give Marantz a call and I asked. The response was, Denon and Marantz have separate development engineering teams. If you wish, give D&M a call, speak with the COO and tell him of your concerns.

I showed you the images of the backs of the units I was discussing (SR5007 vs AVR2313Ci) and yes, there's an engineering difference. But note how you continue in your vein as if I didn't post images to back up my comments as you post on about a SR7005 while originally, I posted about a SR5007. As I posted earlier, if you aren't going maintain the context of my comments, there's no point in carrying on a conversation as you're having a monologue whilst I'm under the false impression that I'm having a dialogue.

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #36 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It doesn't matter about sensible. We don't have to make sense out of why a company does what they do. I took the time to give Marantz a call and I asked. The response was, Denon and Marantz have separate development engineering teams. If you wish, give D&M a call, speak with the COO and tell him of your concerns.
I showed you the images of the backs of the units I was discussing (SR5007 vs AVR2313Ci) and yes, there's an engineering difference. But note how you continue in your vein as if I didn't post images to back up my comments as you post on about a SR7005 while originally, I posted about a SR5007. As I posted earlier, if you aren't going maintain the context of my comments, there's no point in carrying on a conversation as you're having a monologue whilst I'm under the false impression that I'm having a dialogue.
-

As JD has pointed out, your comparison of the back panels of the SR5007 and the 2313Ci is not relevant, as the 2113 is the 5007's equivalent in the line.

What I find interesting is your attempt to ignore the article you cite (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr7007-sr6007-sr5007-pre), where the pictures of the 5007 and 2113 are side by side, clearly showing the similarities and indicating these are the equivalent models in the product line. Other than some deleted connections on the Denon, the placement of the back panel elements appear identical.

You then proceed to inject the 2313 as if it would be related in any way to the discussion of the alignment of the platforms. Here are the back panels of the 6007 and the 2313, which is the appropriate pair to compare

6007

2313

Other than some deleted connections on the Denon, the placement of the back panel elements appear identical.

I'm lost - what are you trying to prove here?
bfreedma is offline  
post #37 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hudda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA.
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
@BeeMan-

I wouldn't expect Marantz tech to say anything else. Of course they are going to get you off the phone asap and tell you they are different design teams. D&M Holdings spends a good bit of money to make it appear these units are different. They're hardly alone in this. Brand differentiation is big business. Not many people outside of hobbyists even know they are part of the same holding company.

Over the years many members have posted fronts, backs and guts shots from various umbrella manufacturers showing that I/O's have been rearranged to this very end and nothing more. It isn't considered unethical, except in the case of Lexicon where they literally placed an entire Oppo BDP-83 inside a Lex shell and slapped a $3500. price on it. Now that was outrageous! I wouldn't be surprised if Denon and Marantz have different aesthetic design teams but engineering and production are undoubtedly common.
Hudda is offline  
post #38 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Icon Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
> The SR7007 utilizes proprietary HDAM's (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules) along
> with discrete current feedback circuitry to provide a very dynamic and realistic audio experience.

I did not make the above info up in my previous post. When I read the message about the Marantz and Denon units being identical but the price being way different I contacted the Marantz rep for the southwestern region of the USA and the above is what he told me.

You guys can quibble about this all you want but I even went back to him and he reconfirmed that this info is true.

The post by vkowalski1970 seems to confirm that the equivalent Marantz units do indeed "sound better" than Denons.
Icon Master is offline  
post #39 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

What I find interesting is your attempt to ignore the article you cite...

And the layout of most automobile dashes are the same as are the backs of AVR's. It's called a "convention." There are only so many ways to layout the backs of an AVR as I see you're still having a monologue. I get it.

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #40 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda View Post

@BeeMan-
I wouldn't expect Marantz tech to say anything else.

You have facts to share, showing the representative of Marantz is not being truthful?
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #41 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

And the layout of most automobile dashes are the same as are the backs of AVR's. It's called a "convention." There are only so many ways to layout the backs of an AVR as I see you're still having a monologue. I get it.
-

Numerous posters have offered you logic, back plane pictures, and pictures of the guts of recent Denon and Marantz receivers that clearly show the common platform. This hard evidence has been backed up by several members very knowledgeable in the world or D&M.

If you choose to throw out all of the legitimate physical evidence in favor of a statement from a Marantz marketing drone and a single subjective opinion formed during a, too be kind, unstructured listening test, so be it, because to date, you haven't been very successful in supporting your argument. Particularly when that argument was based on your incorrect assumption that the 5007 and 2313 were placed in the same product positions by D&M, something several have noted and you continue to ignore. rolleyes.gif
bfreedma is offline  
post #42 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Master View Post

> The SR7007 utilizes proprietary HDAM's (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules) along
> with discrete current feedback circuitry to provide a very dynamic and realistic audio experience.
I did not make the above info up in my previous post. When I read the message about the Marantz and Denon units being identical but the price being way different I contacted the Marantz rep for the southwestern region of the USA and the above is what he told me.
You guys can quibble about this all you want but I even went back to him and he reconfirmed that this info is true.
The post by vkowalski1970 seems to confirm that the equivalent Marantz units do indeed "sound better" than Denons.

Yuip, when I want to know about AVR technology, I speak with the marketing rep. rolleyes.gif The person you spoke to most likely had no idea what you were discussing, gave the party line, and got off the call to get back to their real business of marketing and selling.
bfreedma is offline  
post #43 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,993
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Guys ... let's just agree to disagree ...and get back to the topic of this thread which is discussing the SR7007 ... shall we? smile.gif

We need some actual "SR7007" owners to chime in ....

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #44 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Numerous posters have offered you logic, back plane pictures, and pictures of the guts of recent Denon and Marantz receivers that clearly show the common platform. This hard evidence has been backed up by several members very knowledgeable in the world or D&M.

A SR7005 is not a recent comparison as Marantz is up to the SR7007. As to knowledge of the world of D&M, that's an insider position created by a merger of Marantz with Denon in 2002. Unless an insider, they're guessing.

I understand, you see Marantz as a falsehood and by comparison, believe Denon to be the truth. Wishing you well.

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #45 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

A SR7005 is not a recent comparison as Marantz is up to the SR7007. As to knowledge of the world of D&M, that's an insider position. I understand, you see Marantz as a falsehood and by comparison, believe Denon to be the truth. Wishing you well.
-

It was the comparison from the article YOU linked to this thread and the comparison was to the current 5007, not the 7005. Are you being intentionally intellectually dishonest now or did you read your own "evidence" incorrectly?

Regardless, this is pointless as the hard evidence is clearly out there which you choose to continuously willfully ignore. This has nothing to do with my feeling about either brand, so you can stop attempting to play a TV psychoanalyst - the truth is that the units are platform identical and no amount of your verbal whinging and unsupported claims can change that.

Cmon AVS - get the HTML5 mobile site out so that I can use my iPad and still have a functioning ignore list - Tapatalk doesn't support ignore.
bfreedma is offline  
post #46 of 1064 Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218

I don't think anyone disputes Denon and Marantz models have a lot in common. It's beyond obvious. At the same time open several models of PCs from a vendor and often they will look virtually identical. However they will perform wildly different and feature internal revisions of the hardware (often firmware supported). To my thinking worrying about the parts (a large chunk of the hardware) or letting the receiver be defined by the hardware is rather old school. Its performance is certainly more defined by the software...

Charles R is offline  
post #47 of 1064 Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Icon Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Yuip, when I want to know about AVR technology, I speak with the marketing rep. rolleyes.gif The person you spoke to most likely had no idea what you were discussing, gave the party line, and got off the call to get back to their real business of marketing and selling.

Sorry "bfreedma" but the person I spoke to has been in the audio, video, stereo, etc industry for more years than probably your age and possibly your age times two or three. He and his family own one of the largest distributors of A/V electronics in the south and southwest. He is also a manufacturers rep for many A/V product lines as well.

He is an experienced professional in this field and has life long experience to back up his knowledge. He is one of the "go to" guys in this industry and I know his answer about the difference between Denon and Maranz was factual. He is not a guy that BS's.

Many here have argued endlessly about black levels and how important that is to the "look" of a display or projector yet in the real world putting even a dim light on in a HT blows the deep black levels to kingdom come. Several made fun of the better sounding circuits comment about the Marantz versus Denon like units. Like the black levels that can be measured its still hard to quantify it in a real world setup unless you have a HT in a real cave with virtually no light seeping in. How a better designed circuit translates to better sound is also hard to quantify. However even with my old ears the Marantz sounds better than the Denon I had. Even a friend who happened to stop by when I installed the Marantz (SR7005) made the comment that my system sounded better yet the only thing I had changed was the A/V receiver.

As time goes by Ilook forward to seeing serious posts here from folks who have had the opportunity to setup like Denon and Marantz A/V receivers and hear what they have to say. For now all we have is the fact that the two brands share like platforms but from the back panel views it is clear there are differences there which mean the circuits inside have to be different too. Eventually we will see posts here based on listening tests. I look forward to seeing those but I am starting to save up for an SR7007 and not the Denon.
Icon Master is offline  
post #48 of 1064 Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Master View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Yuip, when I want to know about AVR technology, I speak with the marketing rep. rolleyes.gif The person you spoke to most likely had no idea what you were discussing, gave the party line, and got off the call to get back to their real business of marketing and selling.

Sorry "bfreedma" but the person I spoke to has been in the audio, video, stereo, etc industry for more years than probably your age and possibly your age times two or three. He and his family own one of the largest distributors of A/V electronics in the south and southwest. He is also a manufacturers rep for many A/V product lines as well.

He is an experienced professional in this field and has life long experience to back up his knowledge. He is one of the "go to" guys in this industry and I know his answer about the difference between Denon and Maranz was factual. He is not a guy that BS's.

Many here have argued endlessly about black levels and how important that is to the "look" of a display or projector yet in the real world putting even a dim light on in a HT blows the deep black levels to kingdom come. Several made fun of the better sounding circuits comment about the Marantz versus Denon like units. Like the black levels that can be measured its still hard to quantify it in a real world setup unless you have a HT in a real cave with virtually no light seeping in. How a better designed circuit translates to better sound is also hard to quantify. However even with my old ears the Marantz sounds better than the Denon I had. Even a friend who happened to stop by when I installed the Marantz (SR7005) made the comment that my system sounded better yet the only thing I had changed was the A/V receiver.

As time goes by Ilook forward to seeing serious posts here from folks who have had the opportunity to setup like Denon and Marantz A/V receivers and hear what they have to say. For now all we have is the fact that the two brands share like platforms but from the back panel views it is clear there are differences there which mean the circuits inside have to be different too. Eventually we will see posts here based on listening tests. I look forward to seeing those but I am starting to save up for an SR7007 and not the Denon.

So nice that you think I'm still young. Wish that were true.

Sorry, but your subjective analysis of the two receivers isn't a valid way of making a comparison. It's not specific to you - audio memory has been proven to be unreliable. That's why DBT's and measurements are how proper comparisons are made - humans are far too subject to bias and inaccurate audio memory to validate sighted analysis, particularly given the time lag between listening sessions. I'd ask how you level matched the two units, or if you had measurements to support your subjective assessment, but I know after enough go arounds with this discussion that they won't exist.

I also don't share your assessment that the extra connections on the Marantz in any way support a conclusion that the circuits are different. It's far more likely that the circuitry is identical and that the brands attempt to differentiate by simply not connecting some of the existing circuitry to the ports in question. Having seen the 2010 and 2011 Marantz and Denon's, I doubt the 12's would be any different, particularly given the continuing erosion of D&M's financial position.

I know a number of long time distributors/reps in the industry as well. Most of them know a lot more about marketing and selling product than they know about designing and engineering product.

bfreedma is offline  
post #49 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

It's far more likely that the circuitry is identical and that the brands attempt to differentiate by simply not connecting some of the existing circuitry to the ports in question.

 

For me this totally sums up (represents virtually every point made) the frustration of stating one's opinion as fact.

Charles R is offline  
post #50 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For me this totally sums up (represents virtually every point made) the frustration of stating one's opinion as fact.

So conjecture is now fact? Conjecture is opinion and nobody here knows the circuit design of both Denon and Marantz or they would have said as much. And without knowing the design/layout of each individual unit, for one to state, because they come from the same company, they're automatically the same board design and without knowledge, proffer up these brands use the circuitry differently as a way of differentiating each brand, sans stated insider knowledge, is total nonsense.

confused.gif

(We may be agreeing, hence the confusion on my part with your comment.)

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #51 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Member
 
JamesC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a shame that the cited review didn't compare the sound of the two receivers. It was a nice analysis of the differences and similarities between the two lines but that could have been done by comparing the two brands' websites.
JamesC is offline  
post #52 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I understand, you can't back up your claims. It's okay and yes, in the context of my post, the link clearly supported my position as conveniently, you intentionally took my comments out of context; it's called spin.
My recent appearance to the forum doesn't change the facts regarding Marantz and Denon having totally separate design teams (your comment is unsubstantiated and I took the time to give Marantz a call to find out) and comparably priced Marantz/Denon units, when backs are compared, the Marantz units have more desirable features which proves a difference in internal design. Yes, that's a good reason to go with Marantz over Denon and in general, it's accepted that Marantz units have comparatively more attractive veneer styling. So, for the price, yes, the Marantz unit is the better deal of the two names and yes there are many differences between comparable units.
As far as the rumor regarding Marantz having better parts internally, I have yet to be able to sufficiently vet that rumor as it seems, short of personally opening up a unit, I'm hosed. In my case, I'm not an EE so I don't have a clue what I'm looking at if I did break my unit open.
-

Folowed by this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

So conjecture is now fact? Conjecture is opinion and nobody here knows the circuit design of both Denon and Marantz or they would have said as much. And without knowing the design/layout of each individual unit, for one to state, because they come from the same company, they're automatically the same board design and without knowledge, proffer up these brands use the circuitry differently as a way of differentiating each brand, sans stated insider knowledge, is total nonsense.
confused.gif
(We may be agreeing, hence the confusion on my part with your comment.)
-

That's is exactly why my post started with"It's far more likely" which should make it clear that the statement is an opinion not validated to date. Given that the last two series of Denon and Marantz shared platforms, it's the best assumption until someone proves otherwise.
bfreedma is offline  
post #53 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Given that the last two series of Denon and Marantz shared platforms, it's the best assumption until someone proves otherwise.

 

I agree 100%. It's an assumption they sound the same.

Charles R is offline  
post #54 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

It's a shame that the cited review didn't compare the sound of the two receivers. It was a nice analysis of the differences and similarities between the two lines but that could have been done by comparing the two brands' websites.

Stating the obvious, all AVR units have similar backs or interconnect conventions, so using the innuendo that both companies exhibit similar backs, therefore must share similar interiors, without in-depth discussion of the actual electrical designs based on observable differences in back designs, then one can easily say, all AVR's are internally the same. Obviously that would be ludicrous just as saying although D&M states for the record they have unrelated product development teams and being that all the AVR's produced by Marantz and Denon,are close to identical on the inside/outside, they really don't have separate design teams because it doesn't make fiscal sense to do so or if one will, when conjecture/opinion becomes fact or when no proof becomes evidence of proof.

rolleyes.gif

This being a Marantz thread, I'm beginning to sense, in order to validate one's Denon purchase, Denon buyers are having to vilify Marantz and purchasers of Marantz products so personally they won't feel bad because they didn't buy a Marantz. This Marantz thread is beginning to smell like there's some Marantz envy going on.

wink.gif

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #55 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Load denon firmware and marantz firmware on the opposing receiver and I would guess that is where the difference in sonic signature comes from.

butter and jelly please.
pukemon is offline  
post #56 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

This being a Marantz thread, I'm beginning to sense, in order to validate one's Denon purchase,

 

It has nothing to do with Denon or Marantz rather the mantra all receivers sound the same... the assumption presented as fact.

Charles R is offline  
post #57 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

It's a shame that the cited review didn't compare the sound of the two receivers. It was a nice analysis of the differences and similarities between the two lines but that could have been done by comparing the two brands' websites.

Stating the obvious, all AVR units have similar backs or interconnect conventions, so using the innuendo that both companies exhibit similar backs, therefore must share similar interiors, without in-depth discussion of the actual electrical designs based on observable differences in back designs, then one can easily say, all AVR's are internally the same. Obviously that would be ludicrous just as saying although D&M states for the record they have unrelated product development teams and being that all the AVR's produced by Marantz and Denon,are close to identical on the inside/outside, they really don't have separate design teams because it doesn't make fiscal sense to do so or if one will, when conjecture/opinion becomes fact or when no proof becomes evidence of proof.

rolleyes.gif

This being a Marantz thread, I'm beginning to sense, in order to validate one's Denon purchase, Denon buyers are having to vilify Marantz and purchasers of Marantz products so personally they won't feel bad because they didn't buy a Marantz. This Marantz thread is beginning to smell of Marantz envy.

wink.gif

-

Please show me anywhere in this thread where something negative has been said about Marantz? Suggesting others have product envy is a common tactic here when someone can't actually support their position.

Nice strawman you just created as well. The chances that separate design teams independently developing identical physical platforms down to the board layout and chip placement in the two previous years is about as likely hitting Powerball. Twice. In consecutive weeks. Compare the back panel of Yamaha, Pioneer, or product to the correspondingly positioned AVR from Denon or Marantz. Not close to identical in the way that the Denon and Marantz backplanes are. Same statement for the circuit board design and layout.
bfreedma is offline  
post #58 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Member
 
JamesC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Stating the obvious, all AVR units have similar backs or interconnect conventions, so using the innuendo that both companies exhibit similar backs, therefore must share similar interiors, without in-depth discussion of the actual electrical designs based on observable differences in back designs, then one can easily say, all AVR's are internally the same. Obviously that would be ludicrous just as saying although D&M states for the record they have unrelated product development teams and being that all the AVR's produced by Marantz and Denon,are close to identical on the inside/outside, they really don't have separate design teams because it doesn't make fiscal sense to do so or if one will, when conjecture/opinion becomes fact or when no proof becomes evidence of proof.
rolleyes.gif
This being a Marantz thread, I'm beginning to sense, in order to validate one's Denon purchase, Denon buyers are having to vilify Marantz and purchasers of Marantz products so personally they won't feel bad because they didn't buy a Marantz. This Marantz thread is beginning to smell like there's some Marantz envy going on.
wink.gif
-
I was actually criticizing the reviewer of the article for bringing up the similarities and suggesting the same innards but not actually doing a comparison listen. If he had done that, maybe this thread wouldn't have gone so astray. smile.gif

I have never owned a Denon product. I did, however, replace an older Marantz receiver used as a pre/pro with an Onkyo model (to get HDMI switching) a few years back and I was surprised at the difference in sound between the two. I felt that the Marantz sounded better but thought that I just needed to get "used to" the sound of the Onkyo. Of course, my anecdote has very little to do with the current discussion since those receivers were very different in terms of design and age whereas these are very similar in those respects. Despite the similarity though, I can see how it's possible that the Marantz and Denon versions could have a different sound (due to differences in some components, firmware, etc.)

Hope to see some reviews of the SR7007 soon! And, for crying out loud, will someone please manufacture a decent AV pre/pro in the $1000 range so I don't have to keep wasting money, power, and air conditioning on amps that I don't use!!
JamesC is offline  
post #59 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 12:53 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

It has nothing to do with Denon or Marantz rather the mantra all receivers sound the same... the assumption presented as fact.

Not receivers.....amplifiers. Stating the obvious, that would be, same pre/pro and different amplifiers. It is fact regarding DBT's showing that picking Amps is only something someone, including you, can accurately do beyond statistical chance, when sighted. The jury is not out on this issue and hasn't been for decades. In the meantime, my comments are strictly Denon/Marantz related and I'm doing my best to stay focused on this point.

As to sound quality, the sound quality can easily be changed by swapping out Audio OpAmps (operational amplifiers) in the same circuit design.

http://www.rason.org/Projects/opamps/opamps.htm

I'm well out of my pay grade with the above link.

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #60 of 1064 Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post


This being a Marantz thread, I'm beginning to sense, in order to validate one's Denon purchase, Denon buyers are having to vilify Marantz and purchasers of Marantz products so personally they won't feel bad because they didn't buy a Marantz. This Marantz thread is beginning to smell like there's some Marantz envy going on.

wink.gif

-

ummm... no... as "one" owned a marantz av7005... early adopter, paid full boat, no less... likely would still have it if it wasn't missing the key feature i wanted...

"validating" my purchases is the least of my worries... rolleyes.gif it's not like any of the units in question would break the bank..

some of us have followed this for several years... up to you whether or not you learn from that...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off