Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherMK View Post

Hello all.

I purchased this receiver last weekend and it sounds excellent!

But I encountered a problem. The receiver keeps making noise through my speakers at every volume level and on every input. If I keep my ears to my speakers (all 5), I can hear a slight noise. This noise also occurs when the volume is down to zero. This noise doesn't get louder when I raise the volume.

My question is, if all of you have the same problem? So keep your ear to your tweeter, set volume to 0 and do you hear any noise? Then raise the volume and listen again :-)

I'm not looking for a solution because it is the receiver for sure. I had it tested today at my dealer, and they had the same issue.

Thanks for helping! cool.gif

This is a reply to an old thread in hopes someone was able to figure out a way to get rid of this hiss - I've spent the last 4 days troubleshooting my AVR to get rid of the exact hiss he's talking about ( except mine's a sr6007 ) - I'm returning it on Monday for the same model - I hope that this isn't just an inherent problem with the 007 line of Marantz receivers.
post #603 of 1075 Old 08-12-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
JUST BOUGHT THE SR7007 YESTERDAY FOR 400 DOLLARS. EVERYTHING sEEMS FINE AND I GET ALMOST NO HISSING SOUND EVEN THROUGH THE ROTEL RMB1095 IM USING AS THE AMP.
HOWEVER, I NOTICED YESTERDAY THAT WHEN I WAS USING THE MEDIA CENTER OR PANDORA, THE SCREEn WAS FLICKERING IN LIKE A GREEN COLOR BUT IF I SWITCHED INPUTS, IT DIDNT HAPPEN ANYMORE UNLESS I WENT BACK TO NETWORK. HOWEVER, IT WENT AWAY ON ITS OWN AFTER THREE MINUTES AND NEVER RETURNED.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE ISSUE? COULD IT BE A SOFTWARE ISSUE?
post #604 of 1075 Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the SR7007 has any MONO modes for playing back Monaural soundtracks? I searched thru the manual but have come up empty-handed so far.
post #605 of 1075 Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It could be just an hdmi handshake issues. Once hdmi was able to establish a connection the issues went away.
post #606 of 1075 Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone know of a way to control Spotify on your phone, the receiver keyboard is so cumbersome
post #607 of 1075 Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 1833
^^
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_G9

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #608 of 1075 Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 10
I am having issues using the HDMI for zone 1 and 2….

My setup: Zone 1 is my main 5.1 setup with a plasma TV. Everything with Zone 1 is fine – I have 5.1 and 1080i/p (depending on the source…I am letting the TV up-convert to 1080p). I am trying to use Zone 2 for a HD Fury 3 recording setup for my cable DVR. All of my sources use HDMI to the SR7007 and then I have a HDMI to the TV (zone 1) and a HDMI to the HD Fury 3 (zone 2).

The goal is to be able to record something (DVR) and watch something else (BD or streaming content) at the same time. But it is also helpful for setup to be able to use zone 1 as a monitor for zone 2 (i.e. view zone 1 on the TV while setting up zone 2 on the HD Fury/PVR/PC at the same time).

BTW - The HD Fury 3 takes the HDMI and removes the HDCP and outputs it over component (which then goes to a Hauppauge PVR that samples it and sends it to the PC – which is done in real time). HD Fury claims that the DIP settings in it will tell the source to use 1080i. (I have also tried to fix the source to 1080i to by-pass that negotiation).

I have 2 problems
1) The zone 2 output does NOT go to 1080i. It drops to 740x480 (or something like that). Zone 1 stays at 1080i to the TV (at least I think it stays at 1080i…neither the TV nor the AVR tells what the video output resolution is).

2) The other issue is that when I start up zone 2, the audio in zone 1 and zone 2 drops to stereo (even if it the source is 5.1)

I have worked around this and did get the HD Fury to work. But to do that, I have to unplug the TV HDMI and send that (zone 1) to the HD Fury. I didn’t, however, get the Zone 1 HDMI out #2 (the monitor out) to work.

I know that the AVR can’t do video processing on the zone 1 and 2 at the same time, but I also thought that zone 2 was just a pass through, so that shouldn’t be an issue, right? Also, if the source is at most 1080i, that should match what both destinations can handle (the TV and the HD Fury) and shouldn’t be an issue.
post #609 of 1075 Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 AM
585-645-1006

The HD Fury may be partially responsible but it is important to note that when you have the same source selected for both the main zone HDMI and Zone 2 HDMI, the audio/video signal will drop to the lowest common denominator of the two HDMI connected syncs. So if the Zone 2 HDMI sync can only receive a stereo signal, the main zone surround audio will drop to stereo. Same applies for the video as well. If however, you select a different 1080p source from the main zone to Zone 2 HDMI, then that is what should be output, 1080p. If not, the HD Fury is likely responsible.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #610 of 1075 Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 AM

I want to connect my TV and a projector to the amp and have used the monitor 1 + 2 HDMI slots but I cant seem to get a picture from monitor 2 , what am I missing ?
post #611 of 1075 Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As noted by the "Note" on p. 121 in the Owner's manual (below), in some cases you may have to select Monitor 2.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #612 of 1075 Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hey guys.

I have ps3 hooked up to the sr7007.
I use it for both bluray and games.

Should i connect it to hdmi 4 for games or the one for bluray.

Im wonder this because if you set it to bluray or game the app remote changes.

Which should i choose?
post #613 of 1075 Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anyone here ever get a green flickering screen when connected to the network? if so, is resetting the microprocessor the only way to fix this??????????
post #614 of 1075 Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

Hey guys.

I have ps3 hooked up to the sr7007.
I use it for both bluray and games.

Should i connect it to hdmi 4 for games or the one for bluray.

Im wonder this because if you set it to bluray or game the app remote changes.

Which should i choose?

The name of the HDMI jack is less important then whether it works or not with a particular source device. Bottom line ... use whichever one works best for you. smile.gif

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #615 of 1075 Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post

anyone here ever get a green flickering screen when connected to the network? if so, is resetting the microprocessor the only way to fix this??????????

A green screen is generally an indication of a defective HDMI cable so look there first for a possible cause (eg. the cable from the 7007 to the TV .. try replacing it).

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #616 of 1075 Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Hi again,

I'm really enjoying my SR7007 but there's one thing which is beginning to play on my mind..... I notice more often than not that I'm having to play my blu rays at -10db or sometimes -5db to achieve what I would consider loud / cinema thumping sound.

I've read all the Audyssey set ups etc and this is all correct on my receiver - to the best of my knowledge - but just concerned as to why I have to pump up the volume, as it were. My blu-ray player never had this issue with my Yamaha AV receiver.

I've got the Bowers & Wilkins 685s for fronts (88db sensitivity) - 686s for rears (84db) and the HTM61 centre (90db) + two B&W subs and small rear back speakers.

Questions are:

A, Is there something I've done wrong or is this the same for everyone else - as mentioned my Yamaha never had this issue with the same set-up.

B, Is it worth considering a power amp? Would my Marantz PM7200 be worth connecting via pre-outs to power the fronts and let the AV amp do the rest? If so, stupid question, do I lose DTS Master sound once the AV sends out the signal from the pre-outs via an analogue cable - am brain dead at present, so appreciate this may sound like a very dumb question/comment! smile.gif Or does anyone recommend a power amp which would help with the above.

Many thanks,

Jonathan
post #617 of 1075 Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Answering your A question requires asking some other questions:

1. Have you run Audyssey?
After doing that, 0dB is "reference", which would produce the same volume levels as you should hear in a calibrated commercial theater. Many people find that to be much too loud in a home environment.

The Audyssey instructions in the receiver's manual are overly simplified.
Be sure to review the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993

2. Do you have Dynamic EQ enabled?
When you listen at volume levels below reference, DynEQ increases the sound levels of the lowest and highest frequencies to compensate for the roll-off in our hearing's sensitivity at those frequencies when lower sound levels are involved. See the Audyssey FAQ mentioned above for details.

3. Did you remember to set all of your speakers to be "Small"?
That enables bass management so that the lowest frequencies get redirected to the subwoofer. Your main speakers might not be able to produce the lowest frequencies.

4. If you've run Audyssey, did you verify that your subwoofer's "trim level" is not -12dB?
A value of -12dB means that the receiver was unable to calibrate the subwoofer. It turned down its own subwoofer output as far as it could and it was still too loud. You'll have to turn down the subwoofer's own volume control and then recalibrate. Again, see the FAQ for details.

B: With a calibrated system (i.e. after you've run Audyssey), using a more powerful power amp only increases the maximum possible undistorted sound level. It doesn't change the sound level produced at a given setting of the volume control knob. A large external amp is most useful with inefficient speakers and/or a large room.

Using the preamp outputs does not affect the ability to listen to discs which have soundtracks encoded with DTS-MA. The audio decoding is done digitally before the signal is sent to the analog preamp circuits. It can even be done in the BD player before sending the signal to the receiver.
wj731 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #618 of 1075 Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Hi Selden Ball,

Thank you very much for your reply and also the detail/time put in. I've put my responses after each of your points - think in dark blue. I'm currently at work, so might not be able to answer all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Answering your A question requires asking some other questions:

1. Have you run Audyssey? I have. I think my reference level offset is set to -10db having read it in the Audyssey guide but am now thinking this should be set to 0db?
After doing that, 0dB is "reference", which would produce the same volume levels as you should hear in a calibrated commercial theater. Many people find that to be much too loud in a home environment.

The Audyssey instructions in the receiver's manual are overly simplified.
Be sure to review the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993

2. Do you have Dynamic EQ enabled? - I'm 99% confident I do. Should this be kept on?
When you listen at volume levels below reference, DynEQ increases the sound levels of the lowest and highest frequencies to compensate for the roll-off in our hearing's sensitivity at those frequencies when lower sound levels are involved. See the Audyssey FAQ mentioned above for details.

3. Did you remember to set all of your speakers to be "Small"? I have. All the crossovers have been set to 80hz too, as per Audyssey guide (increased not decreased).
That enables bass management so that the lowest frequencies get redirected to the subwoofer. Your main speakers might not be able to produce the lowest frequencies.

4. If you've run Audyssey, did you verify that your subwoofer's "trim level" is not -12dB? - Initially I had to adjust the subs but they're now set to -3db when doing the first set of sound (Audyssey) checks - Once happy with distances/SW trim level - I then start all over again, so it can do the remaining 7 positions.
A value of -12dB means that the receiver was unable to calibrate the subwoofer. It turned down its own subwoofer output as far as it could and it was still too loud. You'll have to turn down the subwoofer's own volume control and then recalibrate. Again, see the FAQ for details.

B: With a calibrated system (i.e. after you've run Audyssey), using a more powerful power amp only increases the maximum possible undistorted sound level. It doesn't change the sound level produced at a given setting of the volume control knob. A large external amp is most useful with inefficient speakers and/or a large room.

Using the preamp outputs does not affect the ability to listen to discs which have soundtracks encoded with DTS-MA. The audio decoding is done digitally before the signal is sent to the analog preamp circuits. It can even be done in the BD player before sending the signal to the receiver.
Thank you for this - had a feeling this was the case - needed someone in the know to confirm - cheers!
post #619 of 1075 Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj731 View Post

Hi again,

I'm really enjoying my SR7007 but there's one thing which is beginning to play on my mind..... I notice more often than not that I'm having to play my blu rays at -10db or sometimes -5db to achieve what I would consider loud / cinema thumping sound.

I've read all the Audyssey set ups etc and this is all correct on my receiver - to the best of my knowledge - but just concerned as to why I have to pump up the volume, as it were. My blu-ray player never had this issue with my Yamaha AV receiver.

I've got the Bowers & Wilkins 685s for fronts (88db sensitivity) - 686s for rears (84db) and the HTM61 centre (90db) + two B&W subs and small rear back speakers.

Questions are:

A, Is there something I've done wrong or is this the same for everyone else - as mentioned my Yamaha never had this issue with the same set-up.

B, Is it worth considering a power amp? Would my Marantz PM7200 be worth connecting via pre-outs to power the fronts and let the AV amp do the rest? If so, stupid question, do I lose DTS Master sound once the AV sends out the signal from the pre-outs via an analogue cable - am brain dead at present, so appreciate this may sound like a very dumb question/comment! smile.gif Or does anyone recommend a power amp which would help with the above.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

A. For movie listening, likely the same as most prefer a little louder volume with movies. Although you'll generally want Dyn EQ enabled for all sources, all the time, Dyn Volume should only be enabled at night if you want to keep the explosions down or for capping loud obnoxious commercials or if you are having trouble hearing lower level dialogue, otherwise disable it for movie watching.

B. At your current volume levels, no.
wj731 likes this.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #620 of 1075 Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

wj731,

Trying different values for the DynEQ Reference Level Offset does seem to be appropriate in your situation. Your other settings seem right.

Don't forget that Yamaha's YPAO room EQ software does not EQ very low frequencies or the subwoofer. It could be that you're used to listening to "bloated bass" so that "accurate bass" seems a little anemic. If it is indeed just the low frequencies that seem to be missing, you can always turn up the subwoofer's trim level in the receiver -- but not too much: a 3dB increase would require twice as much power out of your subwoofer's internal amp.

Selden

post #621 of 1075 Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM

Thanks JDSmoothie and Selden Ball for your further replies.

I tried a few blu-rays with the reference level offset at 0db and this definitely made an improvement, which was confirmed when my better half put her fingers in her ear and "politely" told me to turn it down. biggrin.gif

Cheers guys!
post #622 of 1075 Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You're very welcome, of course!
wj731 likes this.

Selden

post #623 of 1075 Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM

Just got my SR7007 set up and I also built myself a shiny new HTPC.
Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. When I'm playing a movie that I know has DTS HD Master Audio, the Marantz front panel display just says DTS.

Does that mean I'm NOT getting HD audio? or is that all I'm supposed to see?

My PC is running XBMC and I've made sure the audio output setting are correct on that end.

Thanks.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.Â
post #624 of 1075 Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post

Just got my SR7007 set up and I also built myself a shiny new HTPC.
Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. When I'm playing a movie that I know has DTS HD Master Audio, the Marantz front panel display just says DTS.

Does that mean I'm NOT getting HD audio? or is that all I'm supposed to see?

My PC is running XBMC and I've made sure the audio output setting are correct on that end.

Thanks.

You can change the output options by holding the Cinema / Movie button for a second, then scrolling through the options.... I assume you've got XBMC set to output WASAPI as well ?
post #625 of 1075 Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks, I will try that when I get home. I do have WASAPI (Marantz) as a passthrough and output device.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.Â
post #626 of 1075 Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, I will try that when I get home. I do have WASAPI (Marantz) as a passthrough and output device.

Also, if using XBMC, make sure that you've got the dts-ma stream selected, as sometimes movies will have more then one playback option. The options are in the bottom right of the screen during film playback, it's the sound wave icon I believe that pulls up the options.
post #627 of 1075 Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Will look into that as well. I'm pretty sure I've got all that set up properly but I'll double check. I did go through the audio menu's to make sure I was set up for HDMI and 7.1 Audio and all those things but I don't specifically remember the DTS-ma stream

So as far as you know, should I be seeing something other than just "DTS" on the Marantz front panel when the HD audio is working properly?

post #628 of 1075 Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will look into that as well. I'm pretty sure I've got all that set up properly but I'll double check. I did go through the audio menu's to make sure I was set up for HDMI and 7.1 Audio and all those things but I don't specifically remember the DTS-ma stream

So as far as you know, should I be seeing something other than just "DTS" on the Marantz front panel when the HD audio is working properly?

Well I don't have my '007 series any more but If I remember correctly, yes it should say DTS-MA if that's what you're using.
post #629 of 1075 Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Thanks for your help. I did get it working. I changed three things before I tried it again so I'm not exactly sure what it was that fixed it.
The important thing is it works. My first movie with the new setup was Star Trek Into Darkness, what a treat that was.

Thanks again.
Sean Spamilton likes this.

post #630 of 1075 Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Hey guys, fairly new to the game here too.. quick question.. I have a chance to grab a Crown CE1000.. would it make a heck of a difference on my setup?

AVR - Maratnz SR7007
Fronts - PSB Image T6
Sides - Energy RC30
Center - JBL E25 (Getting tossed otu for an old studio lab bookshelf, I hate the E25)
Rears - Paradigm Titan

Thanks guys! Trying to make affordable upgrades.. snuck the PSBs past the wife but dont know how much longer I can keep that up smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page